SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2003, 05:37 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I've had avs decibels, avid v4s, and avs sports and while all are good tires neither of the high performance ones have near the grip that they advertise. I've seen magazine comparisons on these and the es100s which are very similar tires by design that also rate the yokos on the lower end of the grip spectrum and geared more towards a long wearing performance tire. I probably won't buy a yokohama for my car again because I don't want to sacrifice ultimate grip but their price, marketing, and mfg ratings put them in that arena - specifically the sport.

I'm not knocking them totally- the db's were awesome in the rain. I'd buy those for the wife's car since she's not going to be exploring the limits of adhesion. The sports were a good tire but I expected alot more from them. They tend to break loose way too fast at the limit. The avids performed as I expected for their class.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:01 PM
Porter

That beautiful car before the wreck...

I'm gonna cry.

Old 05-19-2003, 06:18 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
It's sick but I think his car still looks cool even with all the glass blown out.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
Old 05-19-2003, 06:28 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
A bit late to this post but...

Sorry to hear of your wreck Harry, but you made it through OK, and that is what is most important. I checked out the various pictures and it looked like an awesome wedding! All those great cars....

This "Dragon" thing has me interested. I have relatives in Dillsboro, which is not far from there. I can't find 29 on the map though....I see 28, 129 and the Cherohala Skyway. That looks like a great road for the SVT Focus the next time we drive down there to visit. Good luck on finding a great replacement car....
Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 05-19-2003, 07:12 PM
check out www.planetsvx.com

wow

Quote:
Originally posted by scottsubarus
Parts for sale???????

the car should live on through others!
You guys are ruthless. !!!
I was going to wait at least a week to ask..

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."
Old 05-19-2003, 07:23 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
We waited about 3 minutes after hearing the news before the stebro was claimed.
Old 05-19-2003, 07:47 PM
Porter

Re: A bit late to this post but...

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXphile
Sorry to hear of your wreck Harry, but you made it through OK, and that is what is most important. I checked out the various pictures and it looked like an awesome wedding! All those great cars....

This "Dragon" thing has me interested. I have relatives in Dillsboro, which is not far from there. I can't find 29 on the map though....I see 28, 129 and the Cherohala Skyway. That looks like a great road for the SVT Focus the next time we drive down there to visit. Good luck on finding a great replacement car....
Don
If you get a chance, drive the Wayah road too... it's a blast. It connects from 19/74 near the 129 junction up over the mountain and down to Franklin. Returning north on NC28 makes a great loop.
Old 05-19-2003, 08:06 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

re: regarding parts

once again thanks for the great support guys.

now down to the nitty gritty, i probably won't be selling many parts because i'll be pulling all the good stuff in preparation for my next svx. i did spend a bundle on many things and although some won't be salvagable, some look pretty good in shape. i just bought some stock parts from toniandbrian (and might i add, they are really great and honest people to deal with. i just feel sorry that they missed part of the eagles concert probably because of lugging those rotors and old exhaust up for me sorry guys!) the adjuster is going to look at my car tomorrow. i'm going to try to buy it back from the salvage yard or something afterwards. my mechanic looked at the engine and tranny and said that they are still good. i also have new axles that i want tested to see if they are still good. after i buy it, if there are some that need parts let me know and i'll itemize it. i need 1 - 2 svx's for parts myself . when porter gets down here, i think we'll have fun and trying to make the best svx in atlanta . actually i just chased down another svx that was 'riced' out (i succeeded where greenmarine failed lol). going to talk the owner into 'unricing' it. guess he bought the 1994 from someone that put ulgy vinel on it with the 'SVX' and 'Subaru' on it with a stupid yellow stripe from the front bumper running across the middle to the rear bumper. i got pics with a regular camera.

the owner thinks i'm good. i just talked him into putting a tranny cooler and fixing his bearings. also his dumb smuck mechanic used regular powersteering fluid making his steering stiffer than normal.

speaking of roads i took the skyway back to atlanta. then got on 68 south to state road 5. both were good drives too. although it was a little disturbing riding in a stock civic. but at least my pal did not go too over the speed limit. he's got that driving spirit that we have but will need a 2nd job to get a suby. house payments can be a b#$%*.

ciao!

Last edited by Noir; 05-19-2003 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-20-2003, 12:47 PM
Porter

Look, it's a HUGE pic of Noir!

He's on the right... 3x life size.

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~jacaudle/DCP_0566.jpg
Old 05-20-2003, 01:10 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Dayum!

Happy to hear nothing hurt except your pride.

Must have lost that critical part of the user manual that says "to keep the shiny side up and pointy end down the road".

Hey, I use to live in Atlanta and I can tell you the best place in town to take a pic of your car. It shows the Atlanta skyline in the back. It is on an overpass over I believe Glen Iris Blvd. I have a pic of my red SVX taken there.

This pic is not at the exact place, but less than a block away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg svx-atl.jpg (46.7 KB, 99 views)
Old 05-20-2003, 02:16 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Don't your builders have spirit levels?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 05-20-2003, 02:48 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
I haven't read through this whole thread.... but isn't everything you guys did illegal? I'm just sorta surprised that you can have 50+ modded cars hauling ass in the mountains without going to jail.

I don't have a problem with street racing, but somebody mentioned an XT had to stuff it because a biker was biking. To me, that's just not cool. Driving fast is fun, but when it comes to flying around a corner way to fast and not knowing if there is going to be a pedestrian.... meh.

- Rob
Old 05-20-2003, 02:54 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane
I haven't read through this whole thread.... but isn't everything you guys did illegal? I'm just sorta surprised that you can have 50+ modded cars hauling ass in the mountains without going to jail.

I don't have a problem with street racing, but somebody mentioned an XT had to stuff it because a biker was biking. To me, that's just not cool. Driving fast is fun, but when it comes to flying around a corner way to fast and not knowing if there is going to be a pedestrian.... meh.

- Rob

True

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 05-20-2003, 03:17 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:

- Rob
Rob,
Definitely laws broken down there....but the whole community is supported by the tourist that come there to DRIVE on these roads, there are no factories, no big office buildings, just straight up mountains, with winding roads, hardly any local traffic, and I’ve never seen a pedestrian, I’d say 95 % of the traffic are tourist there to experience the “Dragon”.
The people enjoying this stretch of asphalt know the risks they’re taking, and even the biker that got hit by the XT6 was in good spirits after the wreck, because he was doing something he loved.
Yeah, it’s dangerous, yeah it’s not the wisest thing to do…but you only live once, and I prefer to enjoy it.
This speaking as an avid biker & sports car enthusiast.
If I was riding my bike on the Dragon and got hit, Well I would have known it could happen, if it killed me…I guess it was my time to go.
I’d rather go doing something I loved, than withering away in a hospital bed anyway.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 05-20-2003, 03:48 PM
Porter

Quote:

- Rob
Rob, you certainly have a point, and it would be valid had we been doing this in an area where there are any people. This is all National Forest land with no civilization, no houses, no stores, nothing out there at all. The spot on the Cherohala where Noir wrecked was about 15 miles from the nearest BUILDING, much less the nearest town.

The last time we were up there (in September) we had a cop pull in with us on one of the overlooks just to ask us questions about the cars and BS with us for awhile... turned out he owns an RC51 and runs the Dragon at high speed every chance he gets. The people who wreck up there (cars or bikes) do so as a result of either not respecting their limits or not paying enough attention. The XT that wrecked wasn't even speeding... he was cruising the mountain on a pleasure drive and got distracted by a water bottle under his feet that of course never should have been there in the first place. These things just happen.

As a matter of fact, the Subaru community is respected by the bikers as one of the few auto communities that really respects and watches out for sportbikes up there... not to mention we're one of the few groups who can run as fast as they can so we don't slow them up!

I personally assisted in helping save a biker's life there last year, when he inadvertently wheelied his R1 coming over a crest, locked the rear up trying to put the nose back down, and flew over the handlebars and down 300ft into a ravine. My friend Wayner did first aid and shock intervention on him while I did a very high speed pass down the Dragon to call for help. The guy is OK after recovering from a broken hip and is apparently riding up there again! It's the love of the experience that keeps us going.

So anyway, we try to be extremely safe while we have our fun, we stress that newcomers should ride with a veteran until they feel comfortable with the pace (Noir missed that meeting ) and never, NEVER EVER cross the double yellow for any reason.

Cool?