Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2003, 08:18 PM
Tired

Power Steering, how it works?

My power steering has been working well for the past week since I fooled around with the sensor near the power steering pump. What does this sensor do? No dash lights lit up when I un-plugged it. Mine is a 92 with speed sensitive steering. It has never seemed that speed "sensitive" though. How does the speed sensitive steering work? Does the pump vary it's pressure?

I would like to know why the binding in my steering simply went away. I do not belive it is a rack problem now. Racks don't usually just get better.

Thanks!!!!!

1992 LSl (Black Mica)
1965 Mustang G.T. Fastback
1990 Mustang G.T. Convertible
1986 1/2 Nissan 4x4
2004 Vovlo XC70 (wife's)

Wonderful Wife
Wonderful Son
2 Cats

Incredibly blessed!
Old 05-06-2003, 05:55 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

That is great the binding went away. It may have something to do with temperature. Have you changed the fluid?

The PS system workings? If I get time I'll look in the FSM.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:31 AM
Tired

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
That is great the binding went away. It may have something to do with temperature. Have you changed the fluid?

The PS system workings? If I get time I'll look in the FSM.
Yeah, I changed the fluid and added an additive (per huck). It still did the binding. The temp was cool when it first started acting up but it then as the days went on it warmed up around 80 but was still binding. Last Saturday I degreased the bottom end of my car (due to leaking cam seals, blown radiator hose and dripped power steering fluid). It cleaned up real well. Later that evening I unpluged the sensor that is located near the power steering pump. I drove it around and the steering came back to life. I don't know if it was the cleaning or the sensor. I am not sure what that sensor does. I pluged it back in and it has been fine. Sunday there was a slight binding on the way to church but nothing extreme.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 05-06-2003, 09:00 AM
tlemmons

I also have a 92. How do you know whether it has speed-sensitive steering and also which type. I have seen references to a couple of different type of steering systems. Are there any descriptions on what is different or how each works.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:06 AM
Tired

Quote:
Originally posted by tlemmons
I also have a 92. How do you know whether it has speed-sensitive steering and also which type. I have seen references to a couple of different type of steering systems. Are there any descriptions on what is different or how each works.
I am asuming it's speed sensitive since it is an LS-l, loaded with all options. It lossens up when I slow down and tightens up on the road at speed. Sometimes though, it's tight when I am driving slow. I guess it's sometimes speed sensitive.

Thanks
Old 05-06-2003, 10:24 AM
alacrity024

my power steering has been cutting in and out.. it primarily cuts out when the car is still cold.. once i drive around a bit, things start to feel fine.. but i get a stiff wheel and a bunch of christmas tree lights when i try to turn the wheel right after starting it... i checked the belt and it's not slipping or anything

-adam
Old 05-07-2003, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tlemmons
The road speed sensitive rack has an electric module on it with a wire going to it. The engine speed sensitive rack does not. If you look below the steering shaft you can see the top of the rack.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:55 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Power Steering, how it works?

Quote:
Originally posted by SVX JAZZ
My power steering has been working well for the past week since I fooled around with the sensor near the power steering pump. What does this sensor do? No dash lights lit up when I un-plugged it. Mine is a 92 with speed sensitive steering. It has never seemed that speed "sensitive" though. How does the speed sensitive steering work? Does the pump vary it's pressure?

I would like to know why the binding in my steering simply went away. I do not belive it is a rack problem now. Racks don't usually just get better.

Thanks!!!!!
When I added the Lucus additive to mine, I drove it a couple miles and it didn't seam to help...so I parked it, and about a week and a half later, I went out and it worked perfect....and has ever since.
The Last thing I did was add the additive, so I'm assuming that is what got it going, it might take a while to work in

Either way I'm just glad it's working
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 05-07-2003, 06:55 AM
Tired

Re: Re: Power Steering, how it works?

Quote:
Originally posted by huck369

When I added the Lucus additive to mine, I drove it a couple miles and it didn't seam to help...so I parked it, and about a week and a half later, I went out and it worked perfect....and has ever since.
The Last thing I did was add the additive, so I'm assuming that is what got it going, it might take a while to work in

Either way I'm just glad it's working
Heck Huck... It might have been the aditive that worked. Nothing changed after I first added it, but 4 days later the steering cleared up.

I am going to put that stuff in my stang and truck. Good stuff.

1992 LSl (Black Mica)
1965 Mustang G.T. Fastback
1990 Mustang G.T. Convertible
1986 1/2 Nissan 4x4
2004 Vovlo XC70 (wife's)

Wonderful Wife
Wonderful Son
2 Cats

Incredibly blessed!
Old 05-07-2003, 09:56 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Here's what I know about how it works. You turn the steering wheel. That causes the front wheels to turn in the same direction as the steering wheel. I didn't say I knew alot.
I took the condensed Box-O-Tech course given at the RM Auto Mechanics & Clear Plastic Slip Cover School located in Maryland.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 05-07-2003, 10:18 AM
Tired

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
Here's what I know about how it works. You turn the steering wheel. That causes the front wheels to turn in the same direction as the steering wheel. I didn't say I knew alot.
I took the condensed Box-O-Tech course given at the RM Auto Mechanics & Clear Plastic Slip Cover School located in Maryland.
You're kidding!!!!!

That sounds like the same kind of trining we get, or should I say "git" down here in NC.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
I tried to sign up for their "How to steer when you're backing up with a trailer" class, but they took one look at me and started laughing. I never could figure that out.
Old 05-08-2003, 05:05 AM

Hey guys. Just for the record, what is the name the additive goes by? Is it a Lucas power steering additive? I have used a Lucas a/t additive. I am not sure about the results. It doesn't help the 2-3 flair.
Old 05-08-2003, 05:38 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
The bottle is at home, but I think it's the only "Lucus" brand that is for power steering.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 05-08-2003, 06:00 AM
Tired

Yeah, Lucas Power Steering aditive. I think it also says something about "stop leak" as well. It's a white bottle with a funny tip, almot like a squeeze bottle.

Paul