Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2003, 09:04 AM
StaceyVX

Unhappy Disappointed After Washing My New SVX

It rained last week so I decided to wash my SVX yesterday. I used all Mother's products, including the Caranuba Wax. I thought what I saw all over the car was watermarks and that they would go away after I waxed, but they were still there when I was finished. Turns out that the clear coat is coming off everywhere. It didn't look like this when I bought it last Saturday (from Pittkidd).

Does anyone know why? How can I make my new car look better? I'm pretty upset because it makes it look like POOP.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:12 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

WOW that really sucks... I'm sorry to hear it. You could go and get some turtle wak and wak it like 5 times and see if it goes away..... If it doesn't then I would just go and get a new clear coat put on... (few hundred bucks).... That is too bad that you have to get off to a bad start with your new car.... Stay with it though, it is a beautiful SVX!!!!!

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 04-28-2003, 09:18 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Re: Disappointed After Washing My New SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by StaceyVX
It rained last week so I decided to wash my SVX yesterday. I used all Mother's products, including the Caranuba Wax. I thought what I saw all over the car was watermarks and that they would go away after I waxed, but they were still there when I was finished. Turns out that the clear coat is coming off everywhere. It didn't look like this when I bought it last Saturday (from Pittkidd).

Does anyone know why? How can I make my new car look better? I'm pretty upset because it makes it look like POOP.
Was one of the products a clear coat scrubber? That will get them off. I use Mequire's products and was able to get rid of all the water marks from a lawn sprinkler gone haywire.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 04-28-2003, 09:50 AM
Network Design Administrator

Stacey,
I work in Philly, where abouts are you?? In a week or two we are gonna have a small meet just over the bridge in Jersey if you are interested.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:07 AM
StaceyVX

Quote:
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
WOW that really sucks... I'm sorry to hear it. You could go and get some turtle wak and wak it like 5 times and see if it goes away..... If it doesn't then I would just go and get a new clear coat put on... (few hundred bucks)....
Yea, it REALLY sucks. I'm going to go and try the Turtle Wax (although just doing it one time was exhausting). As for the clear coat, would that go right on top of what's already there? Would that look tacky? Oh, and do you know how much or if it's available online - touch up paint specifically for it? Thanks.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:27 AM

Sorry I don't know just how much touch up paint will run... I'll check the internet and post any results though.. I think if I were you I would just wait until the little meet that RSVX was talking about... Go to that and see what others have to say about it... They are very knowledgeable people and will help ya out with your paint problem..... Good luck

** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 04-28-2003, 11:30 AM
StaceyVX

Re: Re: Disappointed After Washing My New SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds

Was one of the products a clear coat scrubber? That will get them off. I use Mequire's products and was able to get rid of all the water marks from a lawn sprinkler gone haywire.

Doug
No, I used the carwash stuff and Caranuba Wax. Someone suggested Mequire's products, but I always swore by Mother's...The marks weren't from water though...I wish they were.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:33 AM
StaceyVX

Quote:
Originally posted by RSVX
Stacey,
I work in Philly, where abouts are you?? In a week or two we are gonna have a small meet just over the bridge in Jersey if you are interested.
I live near Franklin Mills. I would definitely be interested in going to the meet. Let me know the details!
Old 04-28-2003, 11:59 AM
SVXdriver_007

You know black is like the hardest color to wax it seams to bing out the imperfections. Porche(according to a friend who sells them) recomends against waxing black often and doesn't do it to black showroom cars.
Sorry about your start, but trust me it could be worse, Did you see mine yet
Old 04-28-2003, 12:08 PM
StaceyVX

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXdriver_007
You know black is like the hardest color to wax it seams to bing out the imperfections. Porche(according to a friend who sells them) recomends against waxing black often and doesn't do it to black showroom cars.
Sorry about your start, but trust me it could be worse, Did you see mine yet
Yea, that's the only downfall to having black...It shows EVERYTHING. I think I drove on some wet paint yesterday too... Didn't know it until I went to wash it...Lil white dots on the bottom right side...Know anything about removing that?

And now that I already went ahead and waxed it, I guess I should cross my fingers, wax it again and hope it helps.
Old 04-28-2003, 12:16 PM

Look here for all your car cleaning problems.... They have some really great stuff that I use on "Stalker"

http://www.turtlewax.com/

Good luck again!!!

Old 04-28-2003, 01:49 PM
StaceyVX

Thanks! I'll check it out. I just used that Mequire's stuff...It's not bad. I think it made the marks less noticeable, but you can still see em. No way am I going out again to wax for a 3rd time. I was just out there an hour!
Old 04-28-2003, 01:53 PM
Network Design Administrator

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...threadid=10361

For preliminary Info on the meet I mentioned before.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:26 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by StaceyVX
No way am I going out again to wax for a 3rd time. I was just out there an hour!
BOO-HOO! just kidding! the last time i did a wash/glaze/wax it took me five hours - and that was with an orbital buffer! i took a few breaks for my messed up back, too. then another hour and a half just for the wheels. i'm real picky, though.

maybe try a Clay Bar on the paint and see if that helps with the spots and the paint you drove through.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 04-28-2003, 08:24 PM
StaceyVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark

BOO-HOO! just kidding!
Alan, it took a little more than one hour just to wax it the second time. The first time took a like an hour and a half and that was just yesterday so my arms are sore. I wish I had a buffer! Being a lil 5'3 girl running around waxing this car is exhausting!