Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-30-2003, 11:19 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Does anyone have an estimate as to how much faster the SVX is with a 4.11?

Last edited by svx_commuter; 05-01-2003 at 04:59 AM.
Old 04-30-2003, 01:07 PM
Porter

Quote:
Originally posted by Phast SVX

Minimum spec? Foresters have the highest towing compacity of any subaru, subsequently wit the turbocharged version on the way, they are now coming with a DIFFERENT STRONGER transmission then any other subaru, besides the STi. I would hardly consider a forseter transmission to be considereded absolute minimum.
phil
They have a higher towing capacity because the final drive is higher, putting less shear stress on the gears. The modern (Phase II) Forester, Impreza, and Legacy 5 speeds that come mated to the 2.5L motors are all pretty much the same other than a few changes in gear ratio here and there.

The new gearset with the 4.444 rear end is very similar to the STi v4 and v5 gearboxes, but with some updates to the bearing and shaft designs. It still has a viscous center diff.

And yes, I would definitely consider those transmissions to be the absolute minimum for a 3.3L 6 cylinder torque monster. People are breaking gears all the time on the WRX because of the torque... and we deliver more, sooner. We just haven't had people (like me) who drive the hell out of the cars put a 5 speed in yet. Downshifting into a 90 degree right hand corner at 70mph puts a lot of stress on a gearset, even if you rev match it and baby your shifts.
Old 04-30-2003, 01:16 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Porter

We just haven't had people (like me) who drive the hell out of the cars put a 5 speed in yet. Downshifting into a 90 degree right hand corner at 70mph puts a lot of stress on a gearset, even if you rev match it and baby your shifts.
Remind me to NOT let you drive my 5-Speed at the Dragon
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 04-30-2003, 01:28 PM
Porter

Have you reserved a room yet? Talk with GreenMarine and Immortal.. maybe you guys can work out an arrangement on rooming. Reservation details are on the main thread on NASIOC SE. PM me if you have any questions! Thanks man..

-Porter
Old 04-30-2003, 05:36 PM

Quote:

Have you reserved a room yet? Talk with GreenMarine and Immortal.. maybe you guys can work out an arrangement on rooming. Reservation details are on the main thread on NASIOC SE. PM me if you have any questions! Thanks man..

-Porter
Yeah, we (the Wife and I) have a room in the motel, of at least we are supposed to (I haven't gotten my confimation e-mail yet).

We'll probably be bringing our youngest daughter (Kelly) who is 8, do you think she'll have plenty to do?
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 04-30-2003, 07:19 PM
Superbeast

Hay my daughter just turned 8 too, and she loves it when I drive fast, she just dosn't understaned that I can't speed everyware we are, like the middle of town.

Anyway, on the rear end, are you sure the SVX has an R180? When I was swaping gears in mine I had both rear ends right next to each other and they were the same size. All I did was put the 3.90 ring on the SVX diff and put it back in the Legacy housing, that way all you have to adjust is the backlash and preload, and don't have to mess with pinion depth and preload. I don't think an R180 carrier will go in to an R160 housing, unless 91 Turbo Legacys have R180 rears but I don't think so.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 04-30-2003, 10:19 PM
Porter

I may be wrong about that... I was under the impression that it was an R180. I base that on discussions on the new US STi... which is referred to as "the only Subaru other than the SVX ever to use an R180 rear differential due to the torque".... They may be referring to the European or Japanese domestic market vehicles though, as you know they had a slightly different set of differentials and a substantially different center clutch pack. I dunno, maybe they're all R160 and I'm smoking crack today... it's certainly possible.

Either way, the rear axles aren't compatible with the Legacy/Impreza rear differential, so the ring gear has to be swapped over.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:21 PM
Porter

Quote:
Originally posted by huck369
Yeah, we (the Wife and I) have a room in the motel, of at least we are supposed to (I haven't gotten my confimation e-mail yet).

We'll probably be bringing our youngest daughter (Kelly) who is 8, do you think she'll have plenty to do?
I'm sure Kelly will have plenty to do, if she gets bored with the car stuff there are all kinds of things to do in the area... on Friday we will be enjoying a raft trip down the Nantahala, and our friend Wayner is the kayak instructor there at the NOC as well as being a former Olympian. He could always set her up with junior kayak lessons!
Old 05-01-2003, 05:32 AM

Quote:
I may be wrong about that... I was under the impression that it was an R180. I base that on discussions on the new US STi... which is referred to as "the only Subaru other than the SVX ever to use an R180 rear differential due to the torque".... They may be referring to the European or Japanese domestic market vehicles though, as you know they had a slightly different set of differentials and a substantially different center clutch pack. I dunno, maybe they're all R160 and I'm smoking crack today... it's certainly possible.

Either way, the rear axles aren't compatible with the Legacy/Impreza rear differential, so the ring gear has to be swapped over.
The first rear end I got for my swap was out of an Impreza, once I had them side by side the Impreza one was noticably smaller than the SVX one ( I'm assuming the Impreza was a R160 and the SVX a R180), so i went back and got a Legacy one, it had the wxact same housing as the SVX (I might add that my XT6 has the same housing too), so the only Subaru that I've seen with the smaller housing was that Impreza one.

This might not help anyone, but if it looks the same as the SVX the gears will swap.

The Impreza's rear cover was noticably different, so if you can remember what the cover looks like, you should be able to identify one at a junk yard.
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 05-01-2003, 08:57 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:

We just haven't had people (like me) who drive the hell out of the cars put a 5 speed in yet.
my SVX is now my race car. drag/auto-x, solo I & II. If im driving it, its hard, and has been that way since my swap in jan. This includes many hard launches, as i drive this car "ta win" so to speak. Everything is holding up nicely, and the entire car has been a champ. Granted i dont daily drive it though and i maintain it(already drained and filled the fluid once)
phil
Old 05-01-2003, 09:33 AM
highpockets

Looking at your sig,I see you have the 5 speed also. Is that when you went to the 4.11 gears ? Just curious if the swap in an Auto trans is a noticeable change or not worth the hassle,the front ring and pinion is gonna be a pain I see !
Old 05-01-2003, 10:01 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by highpockets
Looking at your sig,I see you have the 5 speed also. Is that when you went to the 4.11 gears ? Just curious if the swap in an Auto trans is a noticeable change or not worth the hassle,the front ring and pinion is gonna be a pain I see !
if your looking for a performance gain, 99% chance you wont get what you want. Trust me, unless you spend big money your not gonna feel the diff
phil
Old 05-01-2003, 10:04 AM
Porter

Quote:
Originally posted by Phast SVX

my SVX is now my race car. drag/auto-x, solo I & II. If im driving it, its hard, and has been that way since my swap in jan. This includes many hard launches, as i drive this car "ta win" so to speak. Everything is holding up nicely, and the entire car has been a champ. Granted i dont daily drive it though and i maintain it(already drained and filled the fluid once)
phil
You NEED to come to the Dragon. You should join the rest of the caravan from WI on the 16th!
Old 05-01-2003, 05:04 PM
highpockets

I realize this is not a big bang for the buck,but little things will add up,maybe adj. cam gears next along with bigger injectors and a resistor in the coolant sensor ? No quick or easy gains on these cars is what Im seeing,engine is right about where it needs to be for the sake of reliability so why mess with a good thing ! Looks like we would have to drop compression and figure some creative plumbing for even modest gains to be reliable with Turbo ? No biggie,I am just playing as its my daughters car and she really doesnt need it that fast !
Old 05-01-2003, 05:36 PM

Accually I think swaping the Autos diffs to the 4.11's will give you a bigger boost in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile than a 75 shot of nos with the stock gears...and it'll be easier on your tranny too.
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed