Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-07-2011, 11:06 AM

Re: alternator wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
On the plastic connector, one wire is the field sense wire, that energizes the alternator when the ignition is on. Also monitors battery voltage and uses the regulator to supply additional voltage on demand

The other wire goes to the idiot light on the dash, turning it off when the alternator is charging.

If you are replacing the plug, make sure to keep the wires from getting switched around. Remove only one wire at a time and reconnect to the new plug to avoid confusion..

The original OEM plug has two wires of different thicknesses, the replacement plug has both wires the same size. Mark them however you want when changing them.
I just did that... and I hope the crimp ferrule that was big enough to fit over the large gauge wire, crimped down well enough on the small wire for the new plug.

I bent the wire strands back over the insulation, pushed it all the way in, and crimped it down, then shrink-tube and split-loom wrapped it. The other wire that was small to small was fine.

that is the only connection that I am even slightly worried about, but I am pretty sure it is sound.

everything else is going to plan, except the short alternator mount bolt isn't threading into the lower alternator mounting tab. It threads loosely, but doesn't tighten. I am going to have to go to the hardware store, and get a longer grade 6 bolt, and a self-locking nut and washers to secure it on the back side of the alternator mounting tab. I don't want that bolt shaking loose, and the alternator rattling around, and a bolt getting caught somewhere where it could damage something.

I have pictures, that I'll share once the work is done. It might be done tonight, otherwise tomorrow. The electrical work is in place, except for the testing, due to the alternator bolt, and then installing the belt again. Then test, then button up.

Then I have to decide whether I want to paint the wheels before re-mounting them on the car. Some of them are looking a bit rough. Once wrapped up, and the fluids checked, the car is back on the road.

BTW, on the plug, I ordered two last month, and it was about 30 bucks shipped, total, and FAST. SVXCESS's source is good. I still have a spare for the future, or a future other SVX.

The new plug, and the old plug are labeled + and -. Look at the socket end of the plug, and at the gap where the retaining tab is, you'll see the little plus and minus. The big wire on the original plug/loom, is minus, and on the new plug, is blue. Big = Blue is how I remembered it while I did the work... and I had the cut-off pigtail with the old brittle plug, right there in front of me, too. make sure the plug's tab is in the same orientation, and re-connect the wires.

I have been excessively careful with this whole process, which is why it has taken multiple sittings, and more than just a few hours spread out over almost 2 weeks now. I have been triple checking my work while I am doing it, and got side-tracked handling the new tire mounting. Most people would not take as long as I am taking to do this project... so please don't judge the task by my time-frame.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 10-07-2011 at 11:22 AM.