Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-06-2009, 04:50 PM

rear strut mount question.

Ok I was curious and decided to pull one of my rear struts to see how it compared to some of other struts and springs from other subarus (mostly legacy). The legacy has a rear strut upper mount with only two bolts but while searching I found that the Group N sti mounts have the 3 bolt similar to our SVX mount. I was wondering if anyone has tried one to see if it fits? It definitely would open up alot of spring options. I was going to check to see if a legacy front strut would fit (looks like it will) but my upper strut mount shield is completely rusted out. This could be the cause of some of the noise in the rear some members have been mentioning lately if theirs are completely rusted out too. Besides group N mounts has anyone tried anything else like forester parts?
Old 10-07-2009, 07:28 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Re: rear strut mount question.

If you can, measure the bolt pattern and post it up here. I have the measurements from a WRX, which match base Imprezas and Foresters. I can tell you that the front strut mounts from other Subies don't match ours, the bolt pattern is slightly different and the raised part in the center is larger on new cars.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 10-07-2009, 08:04 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Are you asking about the entire strut? Or just the top mount?

The bottom that mounts to the spindle is a different size, you either need to spread the flange on Imp/Leg struts or grind down the spindle on the SVX.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:10 AM

I was specifically refering to the upper mounts the lower mounts are "potentially" possible as you describe by either opening up the flange mounts or grinding down the spindle depending since I have not checked fitment yet.

I will try to get the measurements but I am not sure exactly how they take them. There seems to be some slight differences in the overall triangular shape in the different mounts for different vehicles. The bolt locations I will probably measure from center of the hole as well as diameter of the center hole. I am supposed to make a trip to a salvage yard soon and have thought of making a quick template so all I have to do is throw it into place and see if the mounts line up.
There are some after market caster/camber rear upper mounts that look very close to being able to fit up or being very easily modified to fit. Just not sure I want to put money towards that yet if they don't or won't work. I checked some of the rear STi pink springs that are supposed to fit a forester and bottom spring would fit the strut but the top of the spring coil is smaller than our upper mount shield so just the shield mount alone may be possible to replace with a forester (haven't checked yet).
Edit: Ok I didn't get the measurements because I was too lazy after work but I did mount the stock spring rusted top shield and stock svx rear mount to a 2000subaru legacy sedan strut. The strut is shorter doesn't have as much shaft length which causes more spring compression not sure how that would affect over all ride but would definitely lower rear. As previously mentioned the flange mounts are just slightly too tight maybe 1/8" at most so very possible to grind the spindle mount if necessary. If I get a wild hair I may pull one of my bilsteins and see how that fits or if it fits any better. Still going to look at forester top shield etc.
Side note: PnP and ceramic coated intake and throttle body should be arriving any day now, SS exhaust manifold shipped by end of the week hopefully. Subaru parts.com is shipping the rear WRX/STi back plate for 2 pot brake fitment (hopefully). Other things still in the works.

Last edited by sowise; 10-07-2009 at 06:50 PM. Reason: more detail on legacy strut fitment.