Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2009, 06:40 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Re: How much should I be saving up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamrh View Post
Go get a $500 beater that you can go 70 mph on the highway with, safely.
Thats what I did... now the SVX hibernates in the driveway until I take her out to play
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 02-13-2009, 07:11 AM
94 SVX LSI Teal

Registered SVX

I think there are alternatives to selling the car. Don't worry about the shocks. just live with them until you can find some good used ones.
Seems to me your biggest problem is the binding. The following is from an earlier post. It's been well over a year with my Legacy and absolutely no problems. probably six months with the SVX and absolutely no binding problems at all. You might want to try this...
From an earlier post.

"I put the fwd fuse in and the problem went away suggesting it was not the Sel. C.
So I followed the same procedure that cured the problem on my legacy. Which was to change the tranny fluid and put the Limited Slip differential additive into the tranny. My mechanic did it to my Legacy and it cured the problem. it's been perfect for at least a year.
My mechanic, who has a lot of experience with trannies, explained the process to me and it sure made sense to me. Basically the clutch packs get locked up and the additive works to unlock them and allow them to slip like they were meant to.
The Legacy has been perfect and I expect the same with the SVX.
I don't know if it's a bandaid solution or not. But it's working for me. I have read about a too many people who spend a lot of money to repair their car's torque bind only to find that it did not solve their problems.
If a $7.00 bottle of additive does the trick, I'll try it."
What can you lose...
Let me know how it goes
all stock and likely staying that way for now
1981 Datsun 280zxturbo summer toy
Old 02-13-2009, 08:03 AM
What do you mean wrong SVX?

^Going to try it after work today.

I appreciate it guys, I really do. No one around me here is helpful since coming from the more common car tuning scene, mainly the 240 crew.

As far as the transmission rebuild costing a lot from an earier post, I rebuilt a few auto transmissions before, back when I used to work at a repair shop. Hopefully this additive I'm adding today will solve the binding issue. I can deal with everything but not having a car. I just have no downtime until the 2nd week of May. The 2nd car idea isn't bad, I didn't even considor that. Again, I appreciate it guys.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:26 AM
94 SVX LSI Teal

Registered SVX

You may have trouble finding it. They do not sell it at typical auto parts stores (at least not in Canada.) I got mine at a toyota dealership. The stuff is toxic (which is why I think you can't buy it just anywhere) so don't get any on your skin apparently. It's just a small bottle but the results are amazing.....
Old 02-13-2009, 10:59 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

I got limited slip additive for my Claret transmission from the auto parts store. After two months, the binding went away but then I only had Front wheel drive. This happened quite some time ago...

The trans is now on its way out entirely and is being replaced with another trans.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:43 AM

Mensaf, you posted earlier that the car is "now FWD only." The limited slip additive everyone's advocating is a band-aid for AWD torque bind, so there's no point in going that route.

dcb
Old 02-13-2009, 11:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
Mensaf, you posted earlier that the car is "now FWD only." The limited slip additive everyone's advocating is a band-aid for AWD torque bind, so there's no point in going that route.

dcb
I agree! When I worked at a Subaru dealer, they used this stuff all the time to "cure" the binding. I used to advocate this treatment, but have now seen it kill a bunch of transmissions.
2001 Audi S8
Old 02-13-2009, 09:14 PM
94 SVX LSI Teal

Registered SVX

Well I'm no expert that's for sure. many of you know more than I do about these cars. neither my daughter, who drives the legacy that had the additive put into it more than a year ago, nor I in the SVX put a lot of miles on our cars. So, it's possible the additive might cause a problem over the long term if one puts a lot of miles on the cars. I'm just trying to keep the car on the road as long as possible without investing a pile of money into it. If I put a lot of miles on it I might be more concerned. In the spring I may drain the systems of both cars again and see how it goes.... I'd like to hear from others who have had tranny failure after using the additive... all I know is that my car is running perfectly now that I added the additive
Old 02-14-2009, 07:32 AM

My point was, if the AWD has indeed been confirmed inoperative, that rules out AWD torque bind, which means dumping any sort of additive into the transmission would be of no benefit.

dcb
Old 02-14-2009, 10:44 AM

What makes me so sure that the AWD isn't working is the fact that only the front wheels were moving when I was over ice a few weeks ago.

If that's not the binding issue everyone is talking about, then what do I have when I turn? Loud crunch/clicking noise that I'd normally associate with a bad axle, but isn't the axle.

I picked up a bottle of the Lucas stop slip last night, and as of 24 hours, it has delivered, and delivered well. My hard/shuddering shifts haven't happened in the past day, and I've yet to have a gearshift slip at constant throttle, which I've grown used to by now. I don't know if this will help anyone else, as this is the original transmission on my car and I'm at the 152k mark, but I thought this was worth a mention.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:48 PM

I for one compute the cost of a owning a great new car to the fact that my SVX already belongs to me. Anything I put into it doesn't come close to the cost of a new mickey mouse car, much less a great new car.
These SVX cars are so much safer to drive... not to mention the comfort factor.
Starting from scratch and fixing everything you need to fix on a car you already own, as you can afford to lets you have transportation as you go.

A new transmission from Subaru is guaranteed 2 years... including the labor, and while they do the job you can have a loaner.

Buy some old junker and you won't know till your check clears the bank all the problems that you are going to have to do to make that next car run for you. They normally don't sell their old cars because they are running great!

I love my car as most of the people here do theirs. I try to make it a little better all the time. Much cheaper than spending $15,000 for some new cheapo that is unsafe to drive down the street, and many are.

Keith
Old 02-14-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
I for one compute the cost of a owning a great new car to the fact that my SVX already belongs to me. Anything I put into it doesn't come close to the cost of a new mickey mouse car, much less a great new car.
My thoughts when it comes to any car I own exactly. I think I'm fine for the moment, and hopefully it'll stay that way till I'm making the big bucks. Worst case scenario, assuming somewhere down the line the shell got trashed and I couldn't find another SVX after the 6spd and all, I can just transplant everything into an Impreza

As long as I'm enjoying it, I'm getting my money's worth, and like you said, you can have a pretty badass modified SVX for the price of, oh say, a Scion xB