Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Audio/Video/Nav/Security

Old 04-04-2008, 03:43 PM

Send a message via MSN to IceBlade
Capacitor

Anyone with experience know how I could figure out what kind of capacitor I need for my stereo system? Like how many farads or whatever?
Old 04-04-2008, 04:02 PM

yes, but more information is needed. For example, if the lights are dimming, is it because the stereo pulls to much peak amperage, but typically leaves enough left for the car, or does it always pull to much, leaving you stranded when the alt dies or battery isn't able to charge. How many watts? How many amps do the fuses add up to? How efficient is the amp/amps? What are the symptoms causing you to suspect a cap is required? Sometimes a cap does nothing but use the money you should have spent on an alternator, sometimes it helps. Are the main power and ground wires upgraded/maintained at least? What distances are between the amp and alternator? What gauge cable is it using? Is there a meter handy to measure actual draws on the line? It's a hobby of mine...as a general rule, I've seen 1-2 farads per 1000 watts output suggested. Again, that may be a complete waste of money in your situation, and lower end caps (some) can be shown to put a heavier load on the system while providing no benefit at all.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:45 PM

Registered SVX
A capacitor close to the stereo system acts as a stored source of energy, which will fill in only very short term high load peaks, which drop the voltage at peak volume levels, as a result of line resistance and or inadequate supply capacity. There is no way of estimating your requirements, other than by cut and trial. You can take it that the the more capacity i.e. measured in farads the better.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-04-2008, 08:02 PM
i can make it on my oooowwwnn!

i use 1f for my 1200 watt system and optima red top, works beautifully.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:06 AM

Hm thanks for the responses. My speakers only put out 560 watts and my sub does 300 but I eventually want to get another. Well those are the nominal outputs anyways. So I think I'm probably fine. The only reason I want one is because sometimes I'll have my car off but stereo on and I don't want it draining my battery.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:57 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBlade View Post
Hm thanks for the responses. My speakers only put out 560 watts and my sub does 300 but I eventually want to get another. Well those are the nominal outputs anyways. So I think I'm probably fine. The only reason I want one is because sometimes I'll have my car off but stereo on and I don't want it draining my battery.
A loud speakers can not put out watts i.e. electrical energy.

A capacitor can in no way reduce the load on the battery.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-05-2008, 05:46 AM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
Quote:
sounds like what you need is a power inverter. This way you can plug in your retractable extension cord to taco bell (or burger king) when your loitering in the parking lot. this will keep your battery from expiring when your boomin your bass for all of your peeps

Trevor nice STI badge!

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 04-05-2008, 06:59 AM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
Quote:
A Cap will not stop your battery from draining.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:26 AM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX
Quote:
Run your audio stuff to an extra battery in the trunk
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 04-05-2008, 09:20 AM

Hm I guess I'll have to make due with what I have. Thanks, guys.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:25 PM

Registered SVX
[QUOTE=

Trevor nice STI badge![/QUOTE]

Just how did it become included. Not by my doing.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:30 AM

I do remember seeing a cheap little device that would set off a circuit breaker if the voltage dropped too much. I think it was for cars at the airport and such, around 30 bucks. You could listen until the power died, then pop the hood, flip the breaker and drive away. It would still likely delete the presets and such though. I'm not sure they are even offered anymore.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulrio74 View Post
I do remember seeing a cheap little device that would set off a circuit breaker if the voltage dropped too much. I think it was for cars at the airport and such, around 30 bucks. You could listen until the power died, then pop the hood, flip the breaker and drive away. It would still likely delete the presets and such though. I'm not sure they are even offered anymore.
Hmm thanks, maybe I'll check that out.