Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > ECU Tune Projects

Old 12-01-2007, 09:16 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
It sounds to me like pleiad7 and roo are on track (is that a pun in this instance?).

It'll be nice to see a svx restored to competitive glory. I think the engine build and transmisison you have in mind aught to do the trick for power. I'll have some na dyno information for the cams soon as I'm in the process of assembling my engine and it will be going in na to start (although it is low compression and will go fi after break in). From what I've heard from Jeff (someone running the full cam set up na) they perform as was expected, increasing not only the top of the rev range but the whole power band.

I would add the following suggestions

suggestion #1: new engine wiring harnesses and electronics. Harnesses tend to be brittle at the worst possible places. It's best just to get new ones. New nock sensors and coils are a necessity. The other electronics will just save you chasing down failures over the course of ownership of your new engine.

suggestion #2: thermal barier coating of piston tops, combustion chambers, valves, and exhaust ports. This is nice because it increases efficiency accross the board but it is also particularly nice when you are running an engine hard like you will be in these events. You want to keep the heat in your combustion chambers making power and then send it out the exhaust not through your coolant.

Suggestion #3: I think you should run your engine a little cooler than factory. You won't actually need to do anything to accomplish this. At the time you'll be purchasing engine management software I'll have a lot of new variations out replacing stage 2 and many of them will kick the fans on at 180ish instead of 200f.
I'm with Mike on this. If you don't rewire you are likely to be looking at some DNFs at the start of your campaign.

And for #2, likewise, engine bay temps will be high from running nearly an hour at high revs. You might consider venting the hood, or at least pay attention that the intake air is going to be cool fed from outside.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-01-2007, 09:20 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
If it's available there and they wanted to run e85 they might actually be able to cool down the engine bay instead of heat it up. They'd have to make sure they'd be able to complete the event on 1 tank of fuel though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
I'm with Mike on this. If you don't rewire you are likely to be looking at some DNFs at the start of your campaign.

And for #2, likewise, engine bay temps will be high from running nearly an hour at high revs. You might consider venting the hood, or at least pay attention that the intake air is going to be cool fed from outside.

Joe
Old 12-01-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridered777 View Post
Quick question for Roo's wife... DSM coil overs? I'm not familar with those - linky? Or is it perhaps a different nomenclature than I am familiar with for a popular coil-over option on the SVX?
DMS (Drummond Motorsports), not DSM...

They offer a single adjustable 40mm setup and a 50mm gravel rally kit for the SVX.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
It sounds to me like pleiad7 and roo are on track (is that a pun in this instance?).

It'll be nice to see a svx restored to competitive glory. I think the engine build and transmisison you have in mind aught to do the trick for power. I'll have some na dyno information for the cams soon as I'm in the process of assembling my engine and it will be going in na to start (although it is low compression and will go fi after break in). From what I've heard from Jeff (someone running the full cam set up na) they perform as was expected, increasing not only the top of the rev range but the whole power band.

I would add the following suggestions

suggestion #1: new engine wiring harnesses and electronics. Harnesses tend to be brittle at the worst possible places. It's best just to get new ones. New nock sensors and coils are a necessity. The other electronics will just save you chasing down failures over the course of ownership of your new engine.

suggestion #2: thermal barier coating of piston tops, combustion chambers, valves, and exhaust ports. This is nice because it increases efficiency accross the board but it is also particularly nice when you are running an engine hard like you will be in these events. You want to keep the heat in your combustion chambers making power and then send it out the exhaust not through your coolant.

Suggestion #3: I think you should run your engine a little cooler than factory. You won't actually need to do anything to accomplish this. At the time you'll be purchasing engine management software I'll have a lot of new variations out replacing stage 2 and many of them will kick the fans on at 180ish instead of 200f.
This is exactly what we've been wanting to hear... thanks for your input!
Old 12-01-2007, 04:07 PM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleiad7 View Post
DMS (Drummond Motorsports), not DSM...

They offer a single adjustable 40mm setup and a 50mm gravel rally kit for the SVX.
Hahaha.

Funny how my mind automatically went to DSM, the popular nickname for the Eclipse/Talons.

Hmm. Looks like I'll be doing a !

Found their home page. Didn't see any good info, so I kept poking.

Found This

Only SVX part listed are adjustable top mounts, under development. Also, no prices listed.

When I try to browse the available spring rates catalog, file not found.

Any more info?

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap

Last edited by ridered777; 12-01-2007 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:44 PM

DMS coilover setups

This is what my husband found out as far as part numbers:
ECS-SUB-SVX-40a (for the single adjustable)
ECS-SUB-SVX-50a-NG (rally gravel)
ECS-SUB-SVX-50a-NT (circuit setup)

If you need any additional info, contact Mark Moore at DMS North America (mark@dmsnorthamerica.com). Tell him Gregory from subaruforester.org sent you.

Last edited by pleiad7; 12-01-2007 at 06:46 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: