SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 10-15-2007, 08:30 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
I suck at computer stuff, help!

Well, everytime I visit a website with any form of video, audio, or moving animatd anythings, it either freezes, or closes and immidiatly displays this message

At first, Im like "Shockwave flash!? What is that? Some kinda...vodka and energy drink?" but soon found out it was actually some sort of "Makes my computer play Top Gear videos"
I figured I had an old version, and I did, so I upgraded. No change. I also updated firefox to a more current version, thinking mabey there's some compatability issues. I fiddled with firewall settings, and even tried turning it off for a short time thinking mabey bill gates doesnt like supercars

Um...Im prettymuch computer illiterate, and Im sure what I jsut typed is making people in the know laugh their butts off, but Im clueless, and need a hand here. Any advice?
-Eric
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 10-15-2007, 09:01 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Turbone Send a message via AIM to Turbone Send a message via Yahoo to Turbone Send a message via Skype™ to Turbone
Registered SVX
Nope, your not alone. I dont know squat about Firefox
Sorry.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:11 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Assuming that you have a Windows PC not a Mac. Try downloading the latest version of flash and reinstalling that. If that still doesn't work you might also try uninstalling Firefox, uninstalling Flash, rebooting the computer, then reinstalling Firefox and loading the latest version of Flash.

Here is something I found with a quick search maybe it will help:
Illegal Operation In Plug-In

If certain web pages cause "Illegal Operation In Plug-In" errors that refer to "Shockwave Flash" and contain the message,
The plugin performed an illegal operation. You are strongly advised to restart Navigator (or Firefox):

* The Mozilla ActiveX plugin can cause this error [9]. Removing the file "npmozax.dll" from the Firefox or Mozilla Suite installation directory plugins folder (see above) may stop the error.
* Removing the files "GetFlash.exe" and "GetFlash.exe.manifest" from the Firefox or Mozilla Suite installation directory plugins folder and from the C:\WINDOWS\System32\Macromed\Flash folder (if found) may stop the errors [10]
* The problem is often resolved [11] by uninstalling Flash 8 or 9 and installing Flash 7 (on Windows, use the Netscape installer for Firefox and Mozilla Suite - see above).
* This problem may be caused by a rootkit type virus. Scanning your hard drive using a program like F-secure Blacklight(trial version) and having it rename the offending files has been reported to solve the problem for some.

I have to deal with this stuff a lot it is usually something different each time so you kind of have to play detective.

Good Luck

Sean
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 10-15-2007, 09:12 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
me eider....where the heck is Shoupe when we need him?
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:15 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
Go to www.safer-networking.net/en/index.html and download the latest version of Spybot S&D, and go to www.javacoolsoftware.com and download the latest version of Spyware Blaster. Install both, run the updates, and scan your system, then update Firefox and Flash, as well as do a Windows Update and reboot.

Last time I had issues with Flash, it was spyware causing it.
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: