Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-13-2007, 08:27 PM

Cool NZ new 1995 - solid rear discs

enough said, me thinks that your SVX has been tampered with as NZ new (eg from Japan but with NZ spec) were only ever brought in with a solid rear discs?

I bought some new brake pads from the UK (sorry cannot remember what the name was) - non squeaky, very good braking - they fitted exactly, hence NZ & UK must be similar size etc.

regards

Steve in NZ
(North Shore, Auckland)
Old 01-14-2007, 02:24 PM

Registered SVX
Solid or vented take the same pad. The caliper is different though.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:27 PM
A flight-less flyer

Send a message via Yahoo to floatingkiwi
Thumbs up

Hi all!

Arrggh, sorry for the lack of reply, I have just got back from my annual family camping trip (and it rained the whole time..). Never mind, lots of alcohol and food which is the whole point right?

OK, JDW-SVX: Yes, the car is a Jap-spec car, not imported for the NZ market.

Trevor: The mileage may well be a bit more than what it says, but it drives pretty well, especially compared to my mothers car which had about 150000 km a while ago and definitely was a driving class below mine. The discs are actually in fine order (the rears are a little scored from bad pads), I'm just a bit of an "improver" when it comes to my cars and like a few other people am definitely not happy with the braking performance. I think whomever had the car before me may also not have been looking after it very well. I also like to restore the mechanicals to a newer condition when I can do it. Hence the odd little thing here and there that I undertake. All 4 of your discs should be ventilated though being a Jap import?

Dynomatt: Which year WRX would that be for the same size discs?

By the way folks, have a look at my number plate!!
My numberplate.JPG

Matt

Just Crusin'
Old 01-15-2007, 02:30 PM
A flight-less flyer

Unhappy Rotors for sale then..

I think I'll put the front discs on and source something else for the rears - probably DBA..
So, rear dimpled, slotted, solid rotors for sale!!

Matt

Just Crusin'
Old 01-15-2007, 02:33 PM

Registered SVX
To be grammatically correct...should it be "AN SVX" ? Or is that being a bit anally retentive?

The WRX rotors you want *should* be the ones to suit the 4 piston fronts with the single piston rears. So the plane jane WRX's, not the STi's (which had the twin piston rears). They should be a DBA 653 (if you get DBA's over there).

M
Old 01-15-2007, 05:46 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
Hi all!

Arrggh, sorry for the lack of reply, I have just got back from my annual family camping trip (and it rained the whole time..). Never mind, lots of alcohol and food which is the whole point right?

OK, JDW-SVX: Yes, the car is a Jap-spec car, not imported for the NZ market.

Trevor: The mileage may well be a bit more than what it says, but it drives pretty well, especially compared to my mothers car which had about 150000 km a while ago and definitely was a driving class below mine. The discs are actually in fine order (the rears are a little scored from bad pads), I'm just a bit of an "improver" when it comes to my cars and like a few other people am definitely not happy with the braking performance. I think whomever had the car before me may also not have been looking after it very well. I also like to restore the mechanicals to a newer condition when I can do it. Hence the odd little thing here and there that I undertake. All 4 of your discs should be ventilated though being a Jap import?

Matt
All I can say is that I am very fussy and have not needed to do any real work on mine.

I do not understand this, "All 4 of your discs should be ventilated though being a Jap import?" suggestion. Mine most certainly are not, and there has previously been no suggestions here along these lines.

Why do you consider your brakes as inferior? Even scoring on a circumference is of no consequence. Only radial out of true, even only slight, is a problem. I am sure of this, as a result of racing experience.

I hope we may meet up some time.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 01-15-2007, 06:01 PM

Registered SVX
Hiya,

Matt is right on the point of vented disc's, all JDM's should have vented rears.

STI version 5 & 6 discs should fit the standard SVX calipers & I believe the 4pot STI calipers from the same will fit. (with a wheel spacer)
I have seen pics of an SVX in Japan with gold STI 7 Brembo calipers fitted front & rear, I gather they need a spacer between them and the bracket and 17" wheels with a wheel spacer.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:06 PM

Registered SVX
I now see that there has been confusion. Cross drilled or slotted discs have often been referred to as being vented. Here we are dealing with discs with radial vents. Sorry that I have added to the mix up.

My car does in fact have rear discs with radial vents.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 01-15-2007, 07:54 PM
A flight-less flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynomatt
To be grammatically correct...should it be "AN SVX" ? Or is that being a bit anally retentive?

The WRX rotors you want *should* be the ones to suit the 4 piston fronts with the single piston rears. So the plane jane WRX's, not the STi's (which had the twin piston rears). They should be a DBA 653 (if you get DBA's over there).

M
Yes, it should be, and yes, you are!!

Thanks for the disc info - I believe there is still no aftermarket disc that can be used as a rear disc for me (radially vented) and that will fit straight on?

Matt

Just Crusin'
Old 01-15-2007, 08:06 PM
A flight-less flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
All I can say is that I am very fussy and have not needed to do any real work on mine.

I do not understand this, "All 4 of your discs should be ventilated though being a Jap import?" suggestion. Mine most certainly are not, and there has previously been no suggestions here along these lines.

Why do you consider your brakes as inferior? Even scoring on a circumference is of no consequence. Only radial out of true, even only slight, is a problem. I am sure of this, as a result of racing experience.

I hope we may meet up some time.
I'm a real fussy bugg*r as well, and unfortunately the exterior of the car especially was not well looked after by the previous owner(s) - hence my little tidy-ups every now and then. To be honest though, the car certainly looks like a bit more than 100000 km!

As regarding brakes, my mothers car with more KM's has always braked better than mine. I have bleed many times with good fluid, however I haven't changed the pads yet which I suspect is probably the issue. I actually bought these rotors from the states when I was overseas and before my mother had written hers off, so in hindsight, probably not a good move.

We certainly never seem to have the rotor problems that a few of the US guys have, so that's nice. I was just after something that would perform a bit better - a pity that I wasn't aware of the rear rotor difference.

Yes, I was talking about radially vented discs - sorry for the confusion.

If I come to Auckland I'll give you a bell beforehand. Always nice to see other svx's and people who care about them!

Darren: Are you sure that the Rear discs from STI v5-6 are a direct bolt-on? I thought that wasn't the case.

Matt

Just Crusin'
Old 01-16-2007, 07:23 AM

Registered SVX
Hi Matt,

I questioned him over the STI 5/6 discs as I was thinking the same as you in that PCD is different, what he meant by spacers is the type that bolt on to the hub and then change the stud pattern to Impreza, the calipers still fit ok. His English is not great at times but then its a 1000 times better than my Japanese!
Old 01-16-2007, 07:00 PM
A flight-less flyer

Yeah, I want to stay away from using any spacers or anything like that.

Matt

Just Crusin'