How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-29-2006, 04:18 PM

Vehicle Speed Sensor Wire

Hey everyone,

I'm installing a GPS system in my 1992 SVX. I hate ruining the great stock vehicle that it is, but i just can't handle not being able to listen to burnt cds. Anyways, I need to tap into the vehicle speed sensor wire. I was wondering what the most convienent location to get at this thing. Ripping out the instrument cluster is not something i'm looking forward to, so other suggestions would be great. I have the wiring diagram for a 1995 LSI and it states that all the vehicle speed sensor wires are yellow with a red stripe. I found one of these behind the stereo on the left side. However, I'm not completely sure that this is the vehicle speed sensor wire. It might be a few other wires... So if anyone could help that would be great! Thanks a lot..
Old 09-29-2006, 04:24 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Welcome to the site.

The speed sensor wiring goes from the transmission to the TCU and probably other computers before going to the speedometer. I wouldn't recommend taking the instrument cluster apart.

Why does the GPS need the speed sensor wire?
Old 09-29-2006, 04:41 PM

The installation manual doesn't give much of an explanation as to why it needs it. However, I gathered from my research that it increases the accuracy of the navigation, namely when it doesn't get a signal. Apparently, it will continue to navigate you based on your speed, time... you know.. A lot of people say its not necessary to hook up. However, I'm a perfectionist, so i'm trying my best to get it right.

P.S. Nice Car! Looks just like mine.. except i really need to get my rims painted

Last edited by holland16701; 09-29-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:57 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by holland16701
The installation manual doesn't give much of an explanation as to why it needs it. However, I gathered from my research that it increases the accuracy of the navigation, namely when it doesn't get a signal. Apparently, it will continue to navigate you based on your speed, time... you know.. A lot of people say its not necessary to hook up. However, I'm a perfectionist, so i'm trying my best to get it right.

P.S. Nice Car! Looks just like mine.. except i really need to get my rims painted
There are two speed sensors in the SVX system. From what you say, I would not hook into either circuit. You are getting into quite deep water.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-01-2006, 05:38 PM

Success!

I just finished installing the gps system today. The vehicle speed sensor wire to use IS indeed the yellow and red one to the left of the stereo compartment. I used a quick splice and its reading my speed just fine!