How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-30-2006, 11:22 PM
Tazmissle

Rock damage

I was driving out in the desert going up a hill and I ran into a rock on the right side that I got high centered on. I was able to get off of it by wedging a rock behind my front wheel and backing out the same way I went over it. When I was driving back home I accelerate and hear a metallic grinding/ticking noise at about 2.2-3k RPM that increases in pulse with RPM (like a fan is hitting somthing, but we have electric fans and the noise is somewhat rpm related). This sound does not occur in neutral (while moving or while stopped). I got home and jacked the car up to look at the damage. All I could see was that my heat shields were damaged on my exhaust on the right side, and my oil pan had a scratch on it, but was not leaking. I could see nothing but surface damage. The heat shields seem to be tight and not loose, just dinged up.

Is there anything under the car close to the surface that would account for this noise on acceleration?

If pictures would be helpful I’ll try to get some after I get home from work tomorrow.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:34 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Go under your car and check it out. It should be the exhaust heat cover on the level of the transmission

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:21 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
I once hit a curb and cracked my flexplate, it sounded similar to your description.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:12 AM
Tazmissle

What is a flexplate? and where is it? and how serious is it if it is cracked?
Old 05-31-2006, 06:34 AM
Tazmissle

and what about the exahust heat cover? Already said it was damaged. I plan on taking them off tonight and seeing what happens.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
yes a flex plate is very serious.... its between the engine and transmission and holds the teeth that the starter use
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 05-31-2006, 10:43 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suby Fan
yes a flex plate is very serious.... its between the engine and transmission and holds the teeth that the starter use
No that's the torque converter. The flexplate is like sheetmetal with no teeth and bolts to the torque converter and the engine.

You're positive it's RPM and not speed relative?
Old 05-31-2006, 04:45 PM
Tazmissle

Positive its not speed relitive. I can make the noise at any speed so long as i'm accelerating relitivly quick (not petal to the metal, but not slow). I'm about to go out and take the heat shields off as I've seen mentioned lots of times, I really hope its that.
How do I go about checking my flexplate? Is it somthing I can deal with, or should I get it to a dealer to look at it?
Old 05-31-2006, 05:17 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Check out this thread http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...eld+driveshaft

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 05-31-2006, 06:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
No that's the torque converter. The flexplate is like sheetmetal with no teeth and bolts to the torque converter and the engine.

You're positive it's RPM and not speed relative?
holy crap they teeth are on the torque converter on these cars sorry... i'm use to other cars... that would really suck if you sriped the teeth on those!
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 05-31-2006, 07:18 PM
<<<Alcyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael
+1 on this suggestion, that's exactly what happened on one of mine.

Good Luck and welcome to the family!

Dan
Old 05-31-2006, 09:01 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Do a search on Rear engine fan, page 2, my last reply. I have a photo of the flexplate.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:42 AM
(This account is in rememberance of)Duct Tape Man

Send a message via AIM to Yoda3000
Those sound like similar symptoms to when my catalitic converter went bad. A kida buzzing with the rpm's. That leads me to beleive it is something in your exhaust vibrating. Take off that heat sheild and see if it stops. Hopefully it's not more serious, although it very well could be.

Early deceased SVXWN Member
July 1986 -- February 2007

Michael - Duct Tape Man

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 138K: Brembo Slotted/Drilled Rotors, B&M Tranny Cooler and Filter, SmallCar Shift Kit

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 123K: DEAD FROM FATAL HAIL DAMAGE, Parting out so PM me if you need something.

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything" - Fight Club
"This is not my life, this is not my home, this is not me. I HATE THIS!" - Static X