How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-26-2006, 07:41 PM
crimsonnblue

winter brings out the worst.....

I have a few questions for you people on here that are good with determining what sounds are what. When I turn my car on in the morning (30degrees out) my car makes the old shrieking car noise. I get this noise sometimes when I turn my steering wheel far. Power steering??? Anyways that goes away after 5 or 6 seconds. Then when my engine begins to get warm I hear a whistling noise coming from the other side of the firewall. I have a gut feeling this has something to do with the throttle body.... and one last noise... Sometimes when I accelerate I hear light knock knock...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:30 AM
<<<Alcyone

Quote:
When I turn my car on in the morning (30degrees out) my car makes the old shrieking car noise. I get this noise sometimes when I turn my steering wheel far. Power steering???
Power steering fluid level? Slipping belt? Do the lights dim? Alternator and power steering pump are on the same belt. Replace the power steering o-ring? http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/How-To/14304.pdf

Quote:
Then when my engine begins to get warm I hear a whistling noise coming from the other side of the firewall. I have a gut feeling this has something to do with the throttle body
Sorry, no suggestions.

Quote:
Sometimes when I accelerate I hear light knock knock...
Defective knock sensor? Are you using Premium fuel?

Good Luck!

Pentiums - Melt in your PC, not in your hand!

Project - '92 Claret - Purchased May '06, 99,XXX Miles. Includes two bad engines and one bad tranny, cracked windshield, otherwise mostly complete.

His - '92 Ebony Pearl - Purchased Dec '05, 134,687 Miles. Parked, TC Seal(?) is leaking.Daily driver - 140,500 and climbing.
Hers - '92 Teal - Purchased Aug '05, 129,050 Miles. Daily driver - 160,000 and climbing.
Mods:
PWR Radiator!
Problems:
Antenna doesn't work - Bought a 'new' one - Too cold to install . . . OK, it's warmer but I have other projects too!
Ticking from front of engine, passenger side - Stuck lifter?
Old 01-27-2006, 10:36 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
The knock, knock sound is likely the hydraulic lifters. Its very common and is not a problem.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:37 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Make sure your belt is tight. Mine doesn't make "cold belt noise" until temps hit below zero.
It squealed all summer though because I trusted someone else to tighten it and it wasn't tight at all.

When your car is warming up get out open the hood and look around. Whistling is uncommon.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonnblue
Then when my engine begins to get warm I hear a whistling noise coming from the other side of the firewall. I have a gut feeling this has something to do with the throttle body...
Not sure what you mean by "the other side of the firewall," but if it's something you hear from the driver's seat eminating beneath the glove box area, and your climate control system is on, it's probably the heater fan coming to life. Mine whistles like an old steam radiator as the car warms, unless I manually set the fan speed to low.

dcb
Old 01-27-2006, 11:34 AM
<<<Alcyone

Quote:
Sometimes when I accelerate I hear light knock knock...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
The knock, knock sound is likely the hydraulic lifters. Its very common and is not a problem.
If you hear the "knock, knock sound" only on acceleration, I would think it's 'detonation' caused by poor fuel, bad timing, bad knock sensor, etc.

If you hear it at all engine speeds and it varies according to engine speed, I would agree it's a lifter noise.

My Teal is quiet when I first start the engine on a cold morning, (when the oil is nice and thick). When the engine warms up and the oil thins the ticking starts. Nice slow melody at idle, rising to a crescendo as I accelerate.

Pentiums - Melt in your PC, not in your hand!

Project - '92 Claret - Purchased May '06, 99,XXX Miles. Includes two bad engines and one bad tranny, cracked windshield, otherwise mostly complete.

His - '92 Ebony Pearl - Purchased Dec '05, 134,687 Miles. Parked, TC Seal(?) is leaking.Daily driver - 140,500 and climbing.
Hers - '92 Teal - Purchased Aug '05, 129,050 Miles. Daily driver - 160,000 and climbing.
Mods:
PWR Radiator!
Problems:
Antenna doesn't work - Bought a 'new' one - Too cold to install . . . OK, it's warmer but I have other projects too!
Ticking from front of engine, passenger side - Stuck lifter?
Old 01-27-2006, 11:35 AM

What about a vacuum hose for the whistling noise?
Old 01-27-2006, 12:20 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwd1985
What about a vacuum hose for the whistling noise?
That's more of a wheezing/runny/gritty sound. I guess they would whistle if they had holes in them..

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:11 PM
crimsonnblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by intelisevil
If you hear the "knock, knock sound" only on acceleration, I would think it's 'detonation' caused by poor fuel, bad timing, bad knock sensor, etc.

If you hear it at all engine speeds and it varies according to engine speed, I would agree it's a lifter noise.

My Teal is quiet when I first start the engine on a cold morning, (when the oil is nice and thick). When the engine warms up and the oil thins the ticking starts. Nice slow melody at idle, rising to a crescendo as I accelerate.
It happens when going relatively slow(10-15 mph) and yes I get the same sorta noise with what you described in the morning with light ticking.

So I guess guess Ill check the belt, and try to figure out where the whistling noise is coming from. Also I whisling noise is consistent with my rpm speed. For example when Its at 2500 it is really high pitched and when its lower it is less high pitched. And when I idle sometimes you can hear it but not usually. I think it may be a vacuum leak, but when this winter started I had that checked I guess Ill mention it to my mechanic again. This winter Ive had some idleing, stalling issues.

Thanx for you help guys, let me know if you have anymore suggestions. Oh and Ive always premius gasoline, and for another note, I use synthetic oil...