How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-04-2005, 05:33 PM

winter brings problems...

Ok, so...
i started smelling the sweet smell of coolant when i was driving along with the heat on... hated the thought of a heater core... when i stopped i saw smoke coming out of the hood, opened it up, and noticed a couple drips worth of coolant on the rad fan shroud. right below the top rad hose... HOPEFULLY that'll be all i need to replace, but it looks amazingly new as it is... anybody have this problem? dayle have a good replacement???

NEXT... went snowboarding today, and went to open my trunk with the lever next to the seat.... nothing, didnt open it, so i was a little nervous, and opened it with my key no problem... i noticed the door sill was coming off, does the cable attach underneath that? could've it gotten kicked off and disconnected??? any way related??

any advice is great! thanks alot
-drew
'88 Acura Legend (wheel fell off)
'90 Audi 80 quattro (50mph into side of truck)
'95 Saab 9000cse turbo (sold)
Old 12-04-2005, 05:37 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92SVXLS-LDC
Ok, so...
i started smelling the sweet smell of coolant when i was driving along with the heat on... hated the thought of a heater core... when i stopped i saw smoke coming out of the hood, opened it up, and noticed a couple drips worth of coolant on the rad fan shroud. right below the top rad hose... HOPEFULLY that'll be all i need to replace, but it looks amazingly new as it is... anybody have this problem? dayle have a good replacement???

NEXT... went snowboarding today, and went to open my trunk with the lever next to the seat.... nothing, didnt open it, so i was a little nervous, and opened it with my key no problem... i noticed the door sill was coming off, does the cable attach underneath that? could've it gotten kicked off and disconnected??? any way related??

any advice is great! thanks alot
-drew

There is a switch on your trunk lock. Open the trunk and see which positon the switch is on...it needs to be on one of the two positions for the trunk latch to work in the car. I always thought mine didnt work and low and behold the stupid switch on the lock itself was in the wrong position

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 12-04-2005, 05:58 PM

i'll check that now, i'd be amazed if it actually did get moved somehow, but we'll see... back in 5 minutes!

OKAY! so, one of my boards must've tripped that switch, thanks for the good info! but still, need help with the aforementioned Rad hose problem
'88 Acura Legend (wheel fell off)
'90 Audi 80 quattro (50mph into side of truck)
'95 Saab 9000cse turbo (sold)

Last edited by 92SVXLS-LDC; 12-04-2005 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:01 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92SVXLS-LDC
OKAY! so, one of my boards must've tripped that switch, thanks for the good info! but still, need help with the aforementioned Rad hose problem
If you're lucky it's just the radiator hose. Universal fit is cheap, preformed fit a little more, or silicone hoses are the most costly but look nice.

If you're like the rest of us 92 owners - either your radiator top plastic tank has cracked or the spout that the radiator hose is clamped onto has become brittle and cracked. Both can be temporarily fixed with some JB weld or magnum steel - but in the end you would need a new radiator.

Start the car with the hood up, let it idle until at operatong temp and watch for leaks.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:07 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Whatever you do don't use plastic weld or epoxy. That **** does not work.
Go with harccore steel weld type stuff liker immortal said.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.