Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 10-31-2005, 06:55 PM
Unstoppable

I betcha that Compass will see production if it gets good reactions. Wanna know why?

Neon Replacement Caliber

So obviously they're both working on the same platform. And I don't worry about Jeep and performance, becuase this beast oughta be hitting streets sometime within the next year

http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000863037255/

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
-George Carlin

Last edited by upnygimp; 10-31-2005 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:35 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Hummm ... Interesting.... I am happy with my 99 Grand Cherokee. 05 IMO is an ugly POS. However, 05 Commander (regular cherokee replacment) is a sharp looking vehicle. Not sure what to think of the 2 concept cars yet.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 11-01-2005, 05:36 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebitob
But seriously Jaguar did design engines with hemi heads, we they really good or well known for that?
Yip that 6 that was used from like 48 to 99 was the first large numbers production engine with hemispherical heads and they didn't need to resort to putting 2 of Americans finest individuals on TV asking everybody "if that things got a hemi in it?"
Old 11-01-2005, 08:04 AM
Certified Porschephile

The Commander is not a Cherokee replacement. The Liberty occupies the old Cherokee line. The Commander is STYLED like the Cherokee, but is larger then the Grand Cherokee with 3 row seating. The Dodge Caliber will be replacing the Neon and there will be at least one Jeep derivative. I like the red line tires on the Compass. But do we need another SUV replacing a small sedan? Dodge is light years away from making the 2010 CAFE and this sin't going to help. And although I hate to put a feather in Shadow's cap, GM is actually closest to the 2010 standards. As for the WRC, we definitely need more brands. Toyota would be a good start. They will be in NexTel Cup with a Camry soon. I'd also like to see Nissan and Honda, plus some more European makes like Opel.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:08 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
Yes, I am aware that the Compass uses the same underpinnings as the Caliber, the same with the Patriot. But that is where the similarities end since the Compass's chassis is shorted but stiffened oposed to the Caliber and the Patriot has a stretched but even stiffer chassis as well as struts to give it that "Trail Rated," rating. How valid that rating these days is I do not know, I am only stating off of information I learned about as well as what seems obvious.

Also, I am sure the Cherokee SRT8 has great performance, but the main question here is will there be a performance vairant of the Compass since Dodge announced an Caliber SRT coming out, as well as rumors about it being AWD. Perhaps a Jeep Compass SRT will be sold in Europe where the Jeep nameplate fares a bit better than Dodge, which aside from the Viper is virtually non-existant.

It is obvious though that the Jeep Compass will have a NA AWD package. Another thing they can do is either offer a supercharged AWD Compass (sounds funny doesn't it) or going back to the European equasion again sell a twincharged diesel variant, since DCB is getting the diesel engines from VW.

However, they can always offer a trim of the Compass with Jeep's signature straight six, I know it would not only be unpractical but also might not fit in with the new tranny and chassis, but one can always dream.

To sum it up, what I am saying is with a Caliber SRT probably coming what room or chances does that leave Jeep to make the Compass a "WRX competer?"

As for the 2010 CAFE standard Chrysler/Dodge is starting to cover that since they helped and are now going to use the new engine which will be found in the Caliber and Compass.

And thanks for the reply to my question benebob.

Last edited by Weebitob; 11-01-2005 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:29 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebitob

And thanks for the reply to my question benebob.
Ya learn something everyday around here huh?
Old 11-01-2005, 02:35 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Registered SVX
Yes I sure do.

Now back to why I decided create this reply, like I mentioned before if you look at the live non-professional pic of the Compass Rallye it is actually low and short enough (note: compare it to the Dodge Caliber) to be considered a true hatchback and not a mini SUV, since it is roughly the same size as the Toyota Matrix.

And that is also why, looks and brandname aside (which would be a good make to be in the WRC), I would rather see an SRT model of that than or as well as the Caliber. Or at least some comparable perofance package.

I was also wondering if any of you think what Jeep is doing now seems to be in direct competition to Subaru, as well as trying to beating it.

Last edited by Weebitob; 11-01-2005 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:38 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigershark
some more European makes like Opel.
Wasn't that company Bankrupting at a certain stage?

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:42 AM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Registered SVX
Saying you want Opel in the WRC is like saying you want Saturn or better yet Oldsmobile. Not every European automobile manufacturer is like a Aston Martin, BMW or even Alfa Romeo. Opel is more of an all around European finesse but supposedly greatly priced many model with most being somewhat the same automotive or in other words a GM's European outlet. In fact, you can say now that Saturn is becoming more like Opel.

But I suppose you are right that it is the only manufacturer right now for GM that would serve best for competing in the WRC. As for Daimler Chrysler Benz, I think Jeep would be better than Mercedes for a few reasons I already stated.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:24 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
I was checking again that 06' Burgundy Grand C. above, is that a Lorinser conversion? Just... SEXY looking!!

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:24 AM
Unstoppable

If you're talking about the one I posted, its a SRT-8 Grand Cherokee. It makes 415 HP with its 6.1L Hemi V8, with AWD. Its projected to do 0-60 in less than 5 seconds, and 0-100-0 in ~19, so its a pretty serious performer. Last I knew, it could pull something like .91G on the skidpad, so it can handle too.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
-George Carlin
Old 11-04-2005, 07:14 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnygimp
If you're talking about the one I posted, its a SRT-8 Grand Cherokee. It makes 415 HP with its 6.1L Hemi V8, with AWD. Its projected to do 0-60 in less than 5 seconds, and 0-100-0 in ~19, so its a pretty serious performer. Last I knew, it could pull something like .91G on the skidpad, so it can handle too.
That's one serious competitor of the new ML62 AMG ... very close figures...

Old 11-05-2005, 05:24 AM
Unstoppable

Its gonna be a pretty badass Jeep, thats for sure. And its on my list of cars to check out once I have a full time job. Really hoping to see this one clock in at under $40k, which it looks like theres a good chance it will. Jeep has it listed at $39,995. Oh, and by the way, I was a bit off. Its looking like it has 420HP/420Tq and .92g skidpad with Goodyear RS-As. Much room for improvement there.

-George Carlin
Old 11-05-2005, 10:21 AM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Registered SVX
But is it "Trail Rated?"

I'm just messing around, anyway I hope some form of the Jeep Compass will get this sort of tuner treatment when it comes out, and also be sold at a cheaper than Cherokee SRT-8 price.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:17 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnygimp
Its gonna be a pretty badass Jeep, thats for sure. And its on my list of cars to check out once I have a full time job. Really hoping to see this one clock in at under $40k, which it looks like theres a good chance it will. Jeep has it listed at $39,995. Oh, and by the way, I was a bit off. Its looking like it has 420HP/420Tq and .92g skidpad with Goodyear RS-As. Much room for improvement there.

I wish prices were as low over here, most probably it will sell for +60K... (customs are the only thing which scr***s us up here, either we buy new cars or I buy stuff over Ebay and have them shipped to here...)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: