How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 11:34 PM

i'm new... few concerning noises

hi guys! i just bought an svx yesterday... i love it so far, and i've owned some neat cars in the past... acura legend, audi 80 quattro, saab 9000cse, and now my svx... i'm only 18, so i think i have a good start... theres a few noises that concern me... you forum guys know so much, so i'm wondering if you could maybe help me...

sometimes as soon as i start my car i hear a little squealing sound and it usually goes away within a few minutes... that one doesnt bother me so much....

when i'm in gear and i accelerate (normally between 1k and 2k rpms) i hear a metallic either vibrating or grinding noise... that one scares me, and it didnt do it when i test drove the car... it goes away as soon as i'm out of 2k rpm though...

and finally when i'm turning and accelerating hard i feel/hear pops in the front end... ball joints? i dunno

i got the car for pretty cheap expecting to do some repairs, but does this raise any HUGE flags to you guys?? and any help is greatly appreciated
Old 10-23-2005, 11:39 PM
SVXist Pig

Welcome aboard. I'm relatively new to SVX's too.

I'm in the middle of having a new transmission installed, as mine blew to hell. $525 for the 97 Ouback transmission, $150 for the 2001 Outback LTD rear differential to match (changing from stock 3.545 final drives to 4.444 final drives - will make the car much quicker and should help the tranny last longer due to better fluid flow @ higher rpm). It will cost $600-900 for the labor.

Have a nice day. And save your lunch money. You'll need it.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:16 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92SVXLS-LDC
1) sometimes as soon as i start my car i hear a little squealing sound and it usually goes away within a few minutes... that one doesnt bother me so much....

2)when i'm in gear and i accelerate (normally between 1k and 2k rpms) i hear a metallic either vibrating or grinding noise... that one scares me, and it didnt do it when i test drove the car... it goes away as soon as i'm out of 2k rpm though...

3)and finally when i'm turning and accelerating hard i feel/hear pops in the front end... ball joints? i dunno

4)i got the car for pretty cheap expecting to do some repairs, but does this raise any HUGE flags to you guys?? and any help is greatly appreciated
1) That sounds like a slipping belt, PS ALT or AC
2) Check your heat shields on the exhaust. Hose clamps can tighten them up quickly and easily.
3) Front axles are bad or going bad. If the boots are broken you have to replace them. I drove for awhile with bad axles until the car started to shake going up hills. Stop turning and accelerating and they will last longer, even if it is fun.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:45 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
^^^

What he said.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svx_commuter
1) That sounds like a slipping belt, PS ALT or AC
2) Check your heat shields on the exhaust. Hose clamps can tighten them up quickly and easily.
3) Front axles are bad or going bad. If the boots are broken you have to replace them. I drove for awhile with bad axles until the car started to shake going up hills. Stop turning and accelerating and they will last longer, even if it is fun.

thanks alot, i think that sounds relieving, hopefully your right, and its not a transmission problem or something, would a transmission make a noise like #2? i hope not... i'll bring it into a shop tonight and get a better idea of whats goin on...
Old 10-24-2005, 05:55 PM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92SVXLS-LDC
thanks alot, i think that sounds relieving, hopefully your right, and its not a transmission problem or something, would a transmission make a noise like #2? i hope not... i'll bring it into a shop tonight and get a better idea of whats goin on...
The heat shields are notorious on the SVX for rattling. Mine make the noise you describe at the same RPMs you listed. I'm willing to bet it's just the heat shields.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:30 PM
Endangered Species

Send a message via MSN to -JJ-
I had the same problem (number 2), i could hear a vibrating noise, i removed the heat shields on the exaust, it fixed most of the problem, but i ocasionally get a strange single pitch vibration / noise whilst at full throtle at low revs, still dont know what that one is???. anyhow my exaust dosnt rattle now! no more embarassment rolling around uni

removed intake silencer, k&N pannel filter, trans cooler, 94 JDM 4eat, Noltec front swaybar mounts, Motorsport D&S disks with EBC Greenstuff pads
Old 10-24-2005, 08:37 PM

any undesirable effects from removing heatshields??? should i wrap the exhaust in heat insulating tape or something?
Old 10-25-2005, 01:11 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Heatshields

If you take off the heatshields just be careful where you park. Never on dry grass. The resonator is also notorious for having strange noises internally. It is more of a hum or buzzing sound.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE