IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-20-2005, 05:20 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael
Just curious, Does your speedometer work?
Just curious, Does your speedometer work?

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 10-21-2005, 09:45 AM

after my 5 speed swapt, my fan were on all the time. replace the fan switch sensor but it wasn't it. Electro sold me his speed sensor. And that solve the the fan issue now they work when they have to!!!!! THAT IS WHY PROBABLY MIKE KEEP ASKING ABOUT THE SPEEDOMETER WORKING!!!!!
Old 10-22-2005, 02:18 AM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
You've seen it? I've played with the climate controls and have never seen just one fan operating.

I haven't seen it too since I owned my teal from 2001...but I do notice the variable spd on the fans, that's why I had the question. (high-tech)

I'm pretty good at observing, I observed my altima, sentra, mx-3, corolla, friends' civic, others and my dad's accord, MB........etc. Some work both fans, some work individually one outside one inside - I only noticed SVX has variable spd and smilar to some german cars, I also know peugot 406 has variable spd....it'll be interesting(weird) if I see 1 fan running on the svx one day...

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 10-22-2005, 10:25 PM

The Plot Thickens...

Well, I figured out why my fans were running all of the time. I pulled the fan ground relay and someone had bridged two of the connectors with a stripped piece of wire, thus grounding the fans and causing them to run constantly.

Since I replaced the coolant temp sensor and cleared the codes yesterday, I pulled out the bridge wire to de-ground the fans and replaced the relay thinking that would solve the problem. Now the fans don't come on AT ALL, not when the engine's hot, not when the climate control (A/C) is on either. So I'm baffled. I stuck the bridge wire back in the relay just so I'd have cooling fans until I figure it out. Better to have them run all of the time than not at all.

The speedometer works, so does the temp gauge, and the new coolant temp sensor did cure my cold start problem...
Old 10-22-2005, 10:53 PM

Move some of the relays around. There should be 6 relays, 3 for each fan (a positive, negative, and ground). If one relay for each fan is bad, they wont run, unless you bridge the connection, like you found in yours. So pull all of the relays, and figure out which ones are good, and you should be able to get at least one of the fans working. Then, buy 1 or 2 new relays, and you should be good.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:58 PM

Tried that...

Thanks for the suggestion- I forgot to mention that I tried moving the relays around, in fact, I swapped all of the relays off my 'parts' SVX which I know has properly working fans, and there was no change.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
My mistake, the AC turns both fans on. But I have seen only one fan running in the cold winter weather. I suppose it could be that one of my fans had lost it's low speed, but I'm fairly certain I've seen a troubleshooting diagram that indicates that you can have a single fan running.

EDIT: Ok, found the diagram and it seems that I am wrong. I think what I was remembering was when my AC belt snapped and snagged in one of the fans. It must've burned out one of the speeds or something.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
You've seen it? I've played with the climate controls and have never seen just one fan operating.

Last edited by kuoh; 10-23-2005 at 10:50 PM.