How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-07-2005, 12:33 PM
The Molinator

RENTAL CAR BLUES!....Ha!

WELL....As I've been telling you somewhat, my SVX has "died"...It's the first car I've ever had to replace with a rental car (I like the AC that works, etc....but a Chevy Impala just doesn't cut it for me! Ha!)

On July 4, the AC started to go off sometimes, putting out 80 to 90 degree air! As that got worse...couldn't readily diagnose (AC was charged recently!), but about 3 weeks ago it started to have almost no power on accelereation, plus it pinged alot! About 10 days ago, while on a trip 3 hours away, it started to overheat! I took it to PepBoys here...and it failed a "block test", evidently meaning it's getting combustion gases in the coolant! This means HEAD GASKET at least, if not cracked head, etc.

I have finally lined up a mechanic I trust to do this job for $1200 labor (the Dealer said the head gasket would be "$2300 ...and it could be MUCH more!"). I have I HOPE all the parts for the head gasket, plus I already had parts I had not installed but want to ...which he will use like: VALVE COVER GASKETS, WASHERS, AND BOLTS; WATER PUMP; TIMING BELT; KNOCK SENSORS; SPARK PLUGS.....I think that's it!? [Cost of parts approx. $500 for all...thru SuparuParts.com]

Please let me know if there is any info you can share that would improve this job (like, is there any particular service [AT ?], or part that I should do or replace at this time because of convenience, etc.)...or enlighten me (us) in any way. Any pitfalls I should warn the mechanic about? He intends to remove the engine for this job...I assume this is standard.

My mechanic (primarily Porsche mechanic...they're boxer engines too!) will start on or about August 15, 2005 (since he's busy)....so, my rental car will be $500 + if no major hangups (e.g. parts in Japan...instead of U.S.!). My rental is $150 per week, unlimited mileage!

Well...I'm starting to ramble..so...

PLEASE HELP if possible...

THANKS!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!

Last edited by James Scott; 08-07-2005 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:24 PM

Do it yourself head gasket job will take you about 20 hours to do it all (with engine in the car) and would cost $40x2 if you replace just gaskets although I would do the timing belt and water pump at the same time (another $150)

Do it yourself engine replacement will take you about 9 hours to do the actual replacement plus another 4-5 hours to get the replacement engine ready (waterpump, timing belt, plugs and camshaft cover gaskets) and will ring you at about $1000-$1500 depending on the replacement engine mileage.

Just gently encouraging to use your own hands and head instead of mastercard :-)