Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2004, 10:00 PM

If we need a reality check, get of my ex-M3 and into svx and it feels liek limo. and the same thing happened in the X with tire scrub through the same ramps I took the M through at 20 clicks faster. X is a great car though.

And why don't the fuzz use Mark 8 drivelines? 280-290 stock crank ponies, IRS, Ferrari sourced alum block, handles ALMOST as well as the X with some tire/wheels & a solid rear sway bar. Embarasses any caprice, esp. SS's.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:20 PM
notacop

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffN
...Embarasses any caprice, esp. SS's.

Maybe a stock caprice/SS but not ANY caprice.

I aparticipated in the 3rd annual Southern Superheavy Shootout, that included lincoln Mark 8's, crown vic's, mercury marauders, thunderbirds and Impala's.

I have seen what they can do, I have seen what my car can do. I am not worried.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:10 AM
0h n0es!

Send a message via ICQ to IggDawg Send a message via AIM to IggDawg
Quote:
Originally posted by NikFu S.

So why does 80% of the force use them?
What about Impalas?
It's been mentioned that there's the intimidation factor, which is a big deal. Also, they're massive.. if you were to try and ram another car off the road or setup a barricade with a smaller car like an impala, it wouldn't be as effective. also it's roomy inside. room for more bad guys . and they have a decent top speed. the regular impalas (current, not '96 vintage with the V8) have a wimpy 3.3l V6 that puts out significantly lower nunmbers than the crown vic's V8 (and some other 3.3l 6's I can think of )

lastly, and most importantly, you can't outrun radio. even if you can tear the doors off the crown vic in your ferrari, you can be damn well sure there's a roadblock being setup down the road.

-IggDawg

1992 Teal SVX LS-L 160k miles
4.11:1 final drive, K&B dropsprings, ART front rotors, stainless steel brake, aluminum underdrive crank pulley, Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712's, K&N drop-in filter. Previously owned by Alacrity024. FOR SALE

1994 SVX LSi, Barcelona Red #1659, build date 11/93, 117k miles, RIP
ECUtune stage 1, bead crush, smallcar shift kit, TB bypass, SS brake lines, silencer removed, alternator and grounding wires, Mobil1 @ 117k
Old 08-19-2004, 11:25 AM
notacop

actually the new impalas use a 3.8L not a 3.3, it is peppy but can't compete with an 8 cyl in torque, acceleration numbers are close to what the vic can put out, but not near the LT1 powered chevy's

Also the new impala's are front drive
Old 08-19-2004, 12:45 PM
0h n0es!

Send a message via ICQ to IggDawg Send a message via AIM to IggDawg
I thought the new ones were still 3.3s, but they had an SS version with the bigger engine? I was wrong once before so it could happen again.

-IggDawg

1992 Teal SVX LS-L 160k miles
4.11:1 final drive, K&B dropsprings, ART front rotors, stainless steel brake, aluminum underdrive crank pulley, Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712's, K&N drop-in filter. Previously owned by Alacrity024. FOR SALE

1994 SVX LSi, Barcelona Red #1659, build date 11/93, 117k miles, RIP
ECUtune stage 1, bead crush, smallcar shift kit, TB bypass, SS brake lines, silencer removed, alternator and grounding wires, Mobil1 @ 117k
Old 08-19-2004, 01:56 PM
notacop

Standard engine is a 3.4l in the base models the LS model comes standard with a 3.8L which is optional on the base. The police package all come with the 3.8L.

There is an impala SS for about 32K that comes with the Supercharged 3.8L, giving it performance about on par with the 94-96 impala SS but it is still smaller and front wheel drive.

Police departments are not getting the supercharged at this point (perhaps for reliability reasons)