Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-08-2004, 12:07 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

5 MT SVXer's... Fellow 5 Speeder needs help :)

Did any of you have the problem of a kind of driveshaft knocking in 1st gear (or any gear for that matter)... I have it in 1st, have always had it since the swap was done... The noise sounds like someone tapping with a hammer just underneath the center armrest... After seeing how the tranny sits in there this past week I could see that the two peice driveshaft was not aligned properly... The angle at wich the front half of the driveshaft was entering the U-joint in the center was rather extreme... Have any of the other 5 speed guys had this problem or something similar??

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 03-08-2004, 01:30 PM

Come on Huck, Phast, Mike, any of ya??? I know someone has to have experienced this too....

** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 03-08-2004, 02:03 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
You have the smallcar trans mount correct? The driveshaft is most likely coming into contact with the bottom of the shifter place(black plate on the bottom) I had this problem for a while too it took me forever to figure out how to get rid of it without throwing the drvieshaft out of balance. but i did it....

out about 3/16" (or play with this number) worth of washers inbetween the transmission mount and the screw holes of the mount. This will drop the trans down a little, and shoudl be enough of a drop to keep the driveshaft from tapping. If its only hapening in first gear, then its barely hitting.,....the amount of drivetrain slop in first is the higherst, that with the angle of the bottom of the shifter when in the first position. IF you need a picture, or want a better description do a search on my name or i can find you the picture when i go home on friday
phil
Old 03-08-2004, 02:14 PM

Cool, I'll give that a shot sometime this week at the Auto Hobby shop and see how it goes... Thanks man... For some reason I thought it was to do with the U-joint in the center of the Drive shaft because it is sitting at a kinda wierd angle... Does yours sit at a not quite straight line???

Old 03-08-2004, 02:20 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Quote:
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
Cool, I'll give that a shot sometime this week at the Auto Hobby shop and see how it goes... Thanks man... For some reason I thought it was to do with the U-joint in the center of the Drive shaft because it is sitting at a kinda wierd angle... Does yours sit at a not quite straight line???
ya it comes down to the CV a bit
hpil
Old 03-08-2004, 02:26 PM

And you haven't had any noises like the tapping since you shimmed the rear tranny mount???

Old 03-08-2004, 07:15 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Quote:
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
And you haven't had any noises like the tapping since you shimmed the rear tranny mount???
none, ask rob he heard itbefore and after
phil
Old 03-08-2004, 09:01 PM
Tim-H

is it when you accelerate hard in first? Check to see if it happens more when you turn to the right or left, then see if it happens when you turn in the opposite direction. I had a problem with a tapping on my 5 speed. It turned out to be a bolt that was too long, when the transmission tourqed on the brace it hit the bolt and was knocking against it. My mechanic cut it down for me. No more problem. Hopefully yours is this simple.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:28 PM
Green1995SVX

I had the same problem with the smallcar shifter bracket. Shimmed the trans and cut some metal off the bracket and all is well. Also, check the center bearing relocator bracket on the driveshaft. I had some clearance issues there as well.

I think smallcar has a lot to revise with this "kit" of theirs. I had quite a few fitment issues, and the directions they provided royally sucked.

Mike
Old 03-09-2004, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
I had the same problem with the smallcar shifter bracket. Shimmed the trans and cut some metal off the bracket and all is well. Also, check the center bearing relocator bracket on the driveshaft. I had some clearance issues there as well.

I think smallcar has a lot to revise with this "kit" of theirs. I had quite a few fitment issues, and the directions they provided royally sucked.

Mike
Amen to that... It is nice that they took the iniative to make something like this for us, but they could have atleadt fixed all the minor details... And yea, the directions REALLY sucked during my install...