How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-22-2004, 10:23 AM
overdalimit

Unhappy CAR DIED!!!!! (Please Help)

O.k....I was in the process of passing another vehicle at Wide Open Throttle then all of the sudden my car lost power. It runs but it sputters real bad if you hold the accelerator pedal to the floor it just sputters and the RPM fluctuate up and down while sputtering through the exhaust. I'm thinking it jumped time and I need to change the timing belt but....... I have not changed the timing belt since I've owned the car and I've got 75,000 miles and I'm not sure if the previous owner had it changed either. Has anyone had this problem? Like I said it was runnig fine until I did the Full Throttle passing manuever and then it just fell flat on it's face.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:20 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: CAR DIED!!!!! (Please Help)

Quote:
Originally posted by overdalimit
O.k....I was in the process of passing another vehicle at Wide Open Throttle then all of the sudden my car lost power. It runs but it sputters real bad if you hold the accelerator pedal to the floor it just sputters and the RPM fluctuate up and down while sputtering through the exhaust. I'm thinking it jumped time and I need to change the timing belt but....... I have not changed the timing belt since I've owned the car and I've got 75,000 miles and I'm not sure if the previous owner had it changed either. Has anyone had this problem? Like I said it was runnig fine until I did the Full Throttle passing manuever and then it just fell flat on it's face.
Sounds like it is fuel, Filter, pump, pump resister or the fuel reg is stuck open. I would check in this area.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:50 PM
overdalimit

Yeah....You know I had originally thought that it could have been the Timing Belt but the more I ponder on it I think it is something to do with the fuel system....Thanks for your input. I'll post what it is after I do some further testing.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:21 PM
overdalimit

Well.....Just got the call from the repair shop.........The Tech said that the Crank Sensor is ok and that the timing is not off. He said and this was his guess....That it is a possible Mass Air Flow sensor problem...Has anyone known this sensor not to allow the car to start? Please Help! I'm going to get it from the repair shop because he said that they didnt have the equipment to test it! I live in Baton ROuge, Louisiana and the only Subaru shop is a converted Mazda dealership that started selling Subarus. I don't have any faith in them because they couldn't tell me why my A/C was acting up and why I had a acceleration hesitation.. Please Help!
Old 01-23-2004, 01:37 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
yes, my buddy was on the line for a race when his sensor got unplugged and his car would not run for more than 3 seconds. check the connections and if there is still a problem replace it
Old 01-23-2004, 02:19 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
My MAF Sensor was my problem when I had a similar incident.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-23-2004, 03:51 PM
overdalimit

Thanks Guys I really appreciate your help...I'm going to go and runn some tests on the MAF sensor and see if that is the problem.. Soes anyone know of a TSB for checking this sensor with a voltmeter or something?
Old 01-23-2004, 04:17 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by overdalimit
Thanks Guys I really appreciate your help...I'm going to go and runn some tests on the MAF sensor and see if that is the problem.. Soes anyone know of a TSB for checking this sensor with a voltmeter or something?
I've got the values in the manuals at home with the values, but, I wont' be home 'til late. Maybe someone can beat me to it. If not, I'll try to post tonight. If not, tomorrow morning.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 01-25-2004, 11:17 PM
6evil9

i got the very similar problem as overdalimit

did u get anywhere with the solution of the problem?
Old 01-27-2004, 09:47 AM

Registered SVX
Sorry it took me so long. Scroll down til you get to the chart with teh values of the various electrical components. I could've done it sooner, if I'd remembered I had this page bookmarked in my computer.

http://reaper450128.homeftp.net/pdfs...AGE_CHARTS.PDF
Subaru Ambassador

Old 01-28-2004, 11:49 AM
overdalimit

No, I didn't get anywhere with a solution yet, however, I did order a MAF sensor because I really believe that this coul be the problem. I should have it by Fri or Sat ad I'll try that. In the mean time I'm going to run the test on the sensor that I have and see if it is indeed bad. I hope it is!