Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-21-2004, 07:21 AM

260$ question

My fuel gauge is way off,do I have to purchase the entire fuel pump or the sending unit ,I was told it was all one unit.THAT is my 260 dollar question.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:43 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Do I get $260 if I answer that for ya???

Everyone's fuel gauge is way off, it's just a common thing with SVX's.... Mine will fall really quickly from full and then slowly creap down to E (and below) from about half a tank... But I still get about 21 mpg and I can cram 16gal. into it when I fill up so it's alright... Just fill up when the gas light starts to come on... When the light comes on you still have a wopping 2.5 gallons left!!! Compaired to the 1991 MR2 turbo's .40gal left I'd say you are safe if you let it get to where the light comes on..

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 01-21-2004, 01:15 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Quote:
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
Do I get $260 if I answer that for ya???

Everyone's fuel gauge is way off, it's just a common thing with SVX's.... Mine will fall really quickly from full and then slowly creap down to E (and below) from about half a tank... But I still get about 21 mpg and I can cram 16gal. into it when I fill up so it's alright... Just fill up when the gas light starts to come on... When the light comes on you still have a wopping 2.5 gallons left!!! Compaired to the 1991 MR2 turbo's .40gal left I'd say you are safe if you let it get to where the light comes on..

Wow, ya sure know a bit about them MR2s another non ricer, ricer.

I used the "fill er up when the light comes on" trick for a while, untill I started up an overpass and only made it half way up, darn light died.

Often fuel gauges are set wrong from the factory, Cadilac produced a car with a gauge that worked and customers complained of bad fuel economy so they went back to the industry standard of top half = 2/3 of the tank, bottom half = 1/3. Try it sometime, fill up most cars at 1/2 a tank and you'll put up to 2/3 of the capacity not including reserve in. This is also why you can drive most cars 30-60 miles before the needle moves off of full.
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:20 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by NapaBavarian

Often fuel gauges are set wrong from the factory, Cadilac produced a car with a gauge that worked and customers complained of bad fuel economy so they went back to the industry standard of top half = 2/3 of the tank, bottom half = 1/3. Try it sometime, fill up most cars at 1/2 a tank and you'll put up to 2/3 of the capacity not including reserve in. This is also why you can drive most cars 30-60 miles before the needle moves off of full.
What kind of moronic customers are we?
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 01-21-2004, 04:42 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:

Wow, ya sure know a bit about them MR2s another non ricer, ricer.

I used the "fill er up when the light comes on" trick for a while, untill I started up an overpass and only made it half way up, darn light died.

Hehehe, nope, I'm definitly not a Ricer!!! ... I just know about them because my friend back in Military academy (kinda like a younger brother actually) had one... He didn't know much about turbo cars so I did most of the work on it for him...

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 01-21-2004, 07:03 PM
Superbeast

I know the gas tank in my Loyal is empty when the gauge hits E. No lite or nothing just a sudden sputtering from lack of fuel.

Also on some 80's S-10s when the gauge read 1/2 it was actually empty
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 01-21-2004, 07:39 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
I reset the gauges to E with true empty on all the SVXes I've owned. I will make it my mission to go through all the SVXes and fix the problem one day.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 01-21-2004, 09:14 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Morons

Hi Lwin, We are just regular morons. In order to buy a Cadillac you have to be a special moron. Take care, BOBB
Old 01-22-2004, 12:05 AM

Quote:

This is also why you can drive most cars 30-60 miles before the needle moves off of full.
The 1 gen subaru legacys have about 3 gallons by the time the light goes on, but you have to be carefull becasue the light comes on and off(the light is on when your low, goes off when your really low) and i drove one after my mom did, she drove it till the gas light went out then, i jumped in and drove it around and thought it had enough gas so it wasent down to the light the car started sputtering right in front of a gas station.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:58 PM
Superbeast

Hmm. Didn't know that about the Legs, I guess I always put gas in it when the light comes on. ( I'm pariniod about gas.)

I first learned about the S-10 gas gauge wile getting of one of those skid pad style exit ramps. Suddenly not steering or brakes I did manage to coast right into a gas station thoe but the filler was on the other side.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 01-23-2004, 10:18 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
I reset the gauges to E with true empty on all the SVXes I've owned. I will make it my mission to go through all the SVXes and fix the problem one day.
Lwin, share the knowledge! How do you reset the gauge? My SVX will read bone-dry empty unless there is 1/2 tank of fuel in it. It reads nearly full when really fuel and half full at 3/4. By the time it hits a half tank remaining is slams into the bottom pin and lays there. Thank God the low fuel light gauge works.

My Subie dealer told me I would have to replace the sending unit in the gas tank (simple job as long as there is less than a half tank of fuel in it) and that would resolve the issue. Do you think your recalibration would work on that or should I get a new sending unit then recalibrate for accuracy afterwards? Your recalibration trick does not sound like it would fix my issue. What do you think?

-Johnny

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.

Last edited by CigarJohnny; 01-23-2004 at 10:27 AM.