How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-11-2003, 04:37 PM

Heater, Interior lock.

I just bought a '92 SVX.

1.) Are the mid level dash vents (not the ones set to defrost the windows or the foot level vents) supposed to output blowing hot air? "Vent" is the only setting in which air blows out of them, and it is exterior temperature only. (The temp lights go out.) In Auto, Econ, and Defog/Defrost, they do not issue air. Is this by design, or do I have a problem?

2.) The day after I bought the car, the interior drivers side lock jammed in the locked possition. In order to exit the vehicle, I must lean out the open window and use the key, twisting it w/exessive pressure while lifting the handle. Even when I open it that way, the locking control on the interior never pops up. Any idea what's wrong?

3.) My car did not come with a keyless remote. Did some SVX's come w/o that feature, or is mine just missing?
Old 12-11-2003, 06:01 PM
JLittell

Another Coloradian!! Welcome Brian! Where abouts in Denver are you?

Your questions will be answered shortly...
Old 12-11-2003, 10:06 PM

1) by design, Subaru decided to take the thinking about where hot or cold air should appear out of our hands.

2) Almost certainly the motor that actuates the door lock mechanism is defective. Depending on how handy you are I can tell you something to try. If not, then I think your only choice is to buy a new or used unit. To make it work manually you need to take off the door panel and pull the electrical plug to the motor inside the door.

3) Don't know. Is there a security button on your dash (left side)? Does it light up when you press it? If yes, then you have a system, and may just need a remote. To find out for sure, you could remove the glove compartment and look behind there with a flashlight for the security box - about an inch thick, maybe 2-1/2 by 3-/12 inches - black in color - bolted to a beam.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:03 PM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
Re: Heater, Interior lock.

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian
I just bought a '92 SVX.

1.) Are the mid level dash vents (not the ones set to defrost the windows or the foot level vents) supposed to output blowing hot air? "Vent" is the only setting in which air blows out of them, and it is exterior temperature only. (The temp lights go out.) In Auto, Econ, and Defog/Defrost, they do not issue air. Is this by design, or do I have a problem?

2.) The day after I bought the car, the interior drivers side lock jammed in the locked possition. In order to exit the vehicle, I must lean out the open window and use the key, twisting it w/exessive pressure while lifting the handle. Even when I open it that way, the locking control on the interior never pops up. Any idea what's wrong?

3.) My car did not come with a keyless remote. Did some SVX's come w/o that feature, or is mine just missing?
1. i only use the "auto" mode in the summer and at the minimum temp of 65. the airflow is always out of the dash-level vents. in the winter, i switch between "econ" and "def." econ will blow to the feet at temps of 71 and above (if i remember correctly); it blows towards the face at 70 and below.

3. as for the keyless entry, i have instructions how to program them and an extra remote i could be talked out of for a reasonable price. i'd be willing to at least see if your car is so equipped as i am in the denver are as well.

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 12-12-2003, 12:58 AM
DearPrudence

Talking

I'm so glad you posted this, Brian!

I just got my 92 SVX, and I could not figure out how to get the heat to work. I've been driving around Salt Lake City all week freezing my booty off!

But now I know which buttons to push, and I am happy and WARM!!!!

~*LISA*~
Old 12-12-2003, 04:44 AM
Phil & Belha

Re: Heater, Interior lock.

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian
I've had this a couple of times before. You've probably got water in the door lock actuator.

The rubber boot on the end of it splits and water gets in. When this happens the actuator sometimes stops half-way between the open and closed positions, resulting in the problem you mentioned.

If you remove the actuator, empty out the water and spray it with plenty of WD40, the problem will go away for a while.

Phil & Belha.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:47 AM

Thanks for all the helpful insight, guys!

Although I think I have the mechanical aptitude to attempt these repairs, it's cold here now, I don't have a garage or alot of time, and frankly have practically stopped doing any auto repair work myself since I moved to Colorado. My SVX also has other accessory problems: the windows can be put down by the driver's console, buy only put up by the controls at each window; the horn doesn't work, the driver's side sun visor is missing, the rear wiper doesn't work, the break light on the dash stays on, the light in the shifter doesn't work, and the dome light doesn't seem to work. I'm not sure if the sun roof works.

John,

I live in Lakewood, near Green Mountain, and work in Golden.

Shelfy,

Yes, I have a security button, and I think it does illuminate. And I would be interested in buying a remote once I confirm my car is equipped.

If you Denver guys can recommend a good SVX mechanic, maybe I'll take it there instead of to my old mechanic.

John and/or Shelfy,

If you would like to get together, I think it would be great to get an experienced SVX owner's perspective on my car. This weekend, I'm tentatively free tonight, Saturday morning & early afternoon, and all day Sunday. However, I'm on-call for work, and have to stay w/in a half-hour radius of Golden. Send me an e-mail if you'd like to meet.