How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-30-2003, 08:45 PM
svxeno

Good News! Finally

The tranny works! It shifts firm! Power mode still works! It downshifts with less pedal! Yippeeee! It's really like driving a different car!

Now to the new trouble(s). The engine seems to be "cycling" whilst idling. Up and down just a touch. Very noticable under the hood, not so much inside the car. Climate control is angry at me. AC even on "vent". Trouble starting. Starts, almost dies, then revs to about 1500 RPM and stays there until shifted into gear. Does this hot or cold. Oil leak in front - stinky. Good timing though. Needs timing belt replaced. Good time to do them there seals and that liquid pump thingy. (Technical term) All I need is more MONEY! I had to give that centruion guy on my Amercian Distress Card the Heimlich manuver this month.

What the hell, I'm still happy. And for those paying close attention my audit at work went great. We were the best he's done to date. (Patting myself on the back)

It no longer sucks to be me...today.

Randy ii
Old 05-30-2003, 09:02 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Before worrying about the idle too much, give it a day or two. Since the battery was undoubtedly disconnected for some time the ECU may need to relearn its idle strategy. If that doesn't cure it you probably just need to have the throttle body and idle air controller cleaned.

Regarding the A/C: the battery nay have gone dead while in the shop and they may have started the car with a battery charger. Sometimes vehicle electronics get screwy as a result. Go ahead and search for the Climate Control reset procedure and try that before getting paranoid. Then again, it is Friday night and you're here instead out with friends (I was doing yard work tonight - that's my excuse...yeah, that's it.. yard work... ), maybe a little paranoia will keep you company....
Old 05-30-2003, 09:54 PM
svxeno

Yeah, I'm home. (Sucks to be me again) I have no excuse.

Randy (Bummer!) ii

Kidding

Thanks Beav
Old 05-31-2003, 09:39 AM
Headed to Texas...

Re: Good News! Finally

Quote:
Originally posted by svxeno

Now to the new trouble(s). The engine seems to be "cycling" whilst idling. Up and down just a touch. Very noticable under the hood, not so much inside the car.
Randy ii
Hmmmmmmm.....you know my svx did something similar a couple years ago. Got to where it idled like crap with the A/C on...fine with it off. Driveability in either case unaffected. I was obsessed with fixing it, ended up replacing the MAF sensor (which the dealer said was the problem), and then both O2 sensors - no effect.
It finally just "went away"

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 05-31-2003, 12:19 PM
svxeno

I both love and hate when something fixes itself.

The start up and idle are fine today. I took it for several trips and, as Beav said, it seems to have figured it out.

I may start a poll:

Which is smarter? Beav or the SVX?

Just a thought.

Thanks again Beav!

Randy ii
Old 05-31-2003, 02:26 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Thanx for the kudos, hopefully it stays fixed. Percentage rate of staying fixed in proportion to my expanding hat size is bleak, so I strive to stay humble.