Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If a car had used synthetic engine oil since new, would you pay more at resale?
Yes, I would be willing to pay more. 9 33.33%
No, it would not be worth a higher price to me. 9 33.33%
It would not matter to me either way. 9 33.33%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2003, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph

You do know that european cars last longer than the US made cars right?

Absolutely, but European residents themselves only expect to get 100k out of the vehicles they own, whether those vehicles are Japanese, European, or American.
The reason I know this is because I'm English and most of my relatives, who have all told me this, live in European countries.
Seems as though there may be a direct relationship between the vehicle life expectancy in Europe and their 10k oil changing intervals.
Just a thought.
Old 05-06-2003, 01:00 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by DavieGravy

Absolutely, but European residents themselves only expect to get 100k out of the vehicles they own, whether those vehicles are Japanese, European, or American.
The reason I know this is because I'm English and most of my relatives, who have all told me this, live in European countries.
Seems as though there may be a direct relationship between the vehicle life expectancy in Europe and their 10k oil changing intervals.
Just a thought.
I don't have any proof but the 100k and the 10k oil change is not related IMO. Yeah it probably as some minor cause to the 100k lifespan but with the better oils and better design engines, most engines WILL live past 150k easy and many will live past 500k if you do regular maintenance. Another thing is that European roads are better than the road in the US (at least in Chicago area) -- and we are not talking about the roads in the British countryside but more alongs the lines of the Autobahn, which are constructed much better with more thoughts in them.

Most of the new 02/03 cars that UN buys (majority of them are European -- Fiats, Volvos, VWs for Middle East), the recommended oil change is at 10k. If you look at the climate the cars are located, I'd say change them every 3k but they are changing them every 5-10k and majority of the cars are living past 5 year lifespan (yeah they do have morons who do not know how to drive).

But it is true that most Europeans buys cars which are meant to last at most 5 years and are tossed out where in the US, we have cars running into 11th year and running with over 250k miles on them.

In my books, the synth. or regular oil is not the matter but how the car was driven. As long as the driver is not constantly pushing over 3.5k on the REV all the time, the car will last a good while and will be trouble-free. If you keep hitting red-line, even the most expensive and best design block will fail a lot sooner than a Yugo.

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 05-06-2003, 06:31 AM
Porter

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
In my books, the synth. or regular oil is not the matter but how the car was driven. As long as the driver is not constantly pushing over 3.5k on the REV all the time, the car will last a good while and will be trouble-free. If you keep hitting red-line, even the most expensive and best design block will fail a lot sooner than a Yugo.

L
I dunno about that... I redlined my Saab 900 every single day of its life, power downshifted it hard enough to chirp the tires backwards on mountain roads, and generally abused the hell out of it as much as possible, while doing regular and expected preventative maintenance.

It was trouble free other than a tranny swap at 170k (typical) and a timing chain replacement at 100k (also typical). The new owner loves it, says it's the smoothest running car he's ever owned and it seems like it just begs to be driven hard.

My SVX has been running much better since I started wringing the hell out of it on mountain roads....
Old 05-06-2003, 10:34 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
I was talking about most normal cars.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 05-06-2003, 03:32 PM

It just depends on the car. I did to my Honda what you did to your saab and never had engine trouble. I sold it when it hit 200k, so who knows what happened after that, but in general, revving hard doesn't seem like a good idea if you do it all the time.
Although some of the older Hondas were high RPM loving engines, more so than the SVX. I don't know if that would be a factor or not.
Old 05-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Yeah, y'all keep believing that 10k mile crap and I'll keep making money, hand over fist. I'm glad to see that there are still self-proclaimed experts that know more than the people that have to fix their screw-ups. Try pulling the extended oil change program on a Chrysler 2.7 and you'll find out how stupid that idea was in less than 30k miles. Problem is once you find out you probably won't be ready and willing to admit it was your fault, you'd rather blame it on the car or something/someone else.

Funny how tall of a soapbox I'll climb up on for just two cents.
Old 05-06-2003, 03:59 PM

Does that go for Europeans also? Do they really use better oil or are they a bunch of idiots?

Last edited by DavieGravy; 05-06-2003 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-06-2003, 05:18 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Same story here as the saab - beat the living crap outta the little red wagon but changed the oil at least at 3k - sometimes sooner if I had nothing better to do on a weekend. It's still running strong. Synthetic and 3k changes on the svx make me feel a little better each time the needle goes into the red. I'm not going to buy a performance car then drive it like a camry - I'm going to drive it hard and do the necessary PM to hopefully keep it running at that level and enjoy it fully.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:40 PM
Rosevineboy

Euro vs U.S. Cars

Having lived in several different European countries, I'm not so sure that I can agree with some of the posts in this thread. Everyone seems to be talking about engine oil life. My European experience revolved around the structural intergrity of the chassis instead of the engine and frequency of oil changes. This is based on amount of road salt used during winter season. I have seen fairly new model year vehicles taken out of service due to corrision, not engine life.

I qualify this opinion based on countries where I lived. Holland, for example, is extremely concerned with the chassis. Why? They use a lot of road salt during winter season. More corrosion issues rather than mechanical issues. You can only have certain chassis repairs made before your vehicle is taken out of service and crushed.

Just thought I would share this with other forum members.
Old 05-07-2003, 04:21 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Let me add my 2 cents to this thread. I change the oil at 3,000 miles on all 4 cars. I use Mobil 1. The local PEP Boys has Mobil 1 at $4.89 per quart. They love me at my local PEP boys store.
I don't know if this is the most efficient, cost saving, most bang for the buck, way of doing it. I'll let you all know in about 250,000 to 300,000 miles.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!