Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-28-2003, 11:30 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Question SVX merchandise: Supply and Demand

SVX items, like the original coffee mug with the picture of the car on it, the original cheesy looking jackets, etc, all seem to be very hot items on ebay. Is this because they are collectible, ie the original items that came with the car, or are people just looking for everyday items to show off their love of the SVX and this is the only way to get them?

What I'm getting at is there any demand out there for mugs, clothing items, etc with the SVX logo and maybe some pictures of the car? Or is original Subie licensed merchandise all that anyone is interested in?

P.S. I know the official club has some merchandise items that were also hot sellers, but I'm thinking more along the lines of generic SVX stuff, just showing off the car itself, not the organization.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 03-28-2003, 12:12 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
From personal experience, it's the OE promotional material that trips my trigger and would bring a higher price (I paid 130.00 for a jacket -- yikes! And stopped at 50.00 for a Mug once). I paid 35.00 for a prototype brochure and 20.00 each for showroom brochure and a post card announcing the SVX as one of the Popular Mechanics design winners for 1991. All told, I have hundreds of dollars (don't ask how many hundreds, I'm not sure) of "stuff" but would not have paid the "big bux" if it was not OE.

Dunno if this helps, but, as I said, it's just my personal preference.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-28-2003, 12:20 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
From personal experience, it's the OE promotional material that trips my trigger and would bring a higher price (I paid 130.00 for a jacket -- yikes! And stopped at 50.00 for a Mug once). I paid 35.00 for a prototype brochure and 20.00 each for showroom brochure and a post card announcing the SVX as one of the Popular Mechanics design winners for 1991. All told, I have hundreds of dollars (don't ask how many hundreds, I'm not sure) of "stuff" but would not have paid the "big bux" if it was not OE.

Dunno if this helps, but, as I said, it's just my personal preference.
I agree, Randy. Thoe OE items are the things that 'trip my trigger,' too. I haven't actually bought most of it, but since it says 'SVX' on it and original promotional material, I want it.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-28-2003, 12:34 PM
abrasive personality

Send a message via AIM to NomadTW
big bux for oe stuff i agree, big bux that i don't have to spend
i would like some stuff at a normal price, a price that say a mug would be regardless of what logo was on it, to show off my svxness

a travel mug comes to mind... one that will fit in a wedgie... 20 bux you know... but if it was oe ppl could get over 100 for it... because they're not made anymroe that's how all promo stuff is especially if they didn't give out a lot

i relate it to the current offering from nintendo with the new zelda game they offer a bobblehead, and ppl are estimating that once they stop making them that they will go for hundreds of dollars.
Old 03-28-2003, 01:22 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Thumbs up Great feedback

Yep, this is what I was wondering. Whether people strictly want the promo stuff for collecting, or if they would buy a mug for average price just to drink out of and show off.

I realize the value behind the rare promo items, it is like that with pretty much anything. I've bought and sold enough old stuff on ebay to know that.

Just seeing how much interest there would be in "average priced" non OE promo items. (like in the example, a $10-$20 travel mug that said SVX on it)

Keep the comments coming!

Old 03-28-2003, 01:25 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
I'm thinking about making some SVX shirts, in case anyone's interested. I'm ah... eh.. a pretty competent artist, and I've sold over 150 dollars worth of neon drawings to fellow neon enthusiasts in the past.... would anyone like an SVX t-shirt? I could draw it stock, tweak it a bit to make it a tiny bit more aggressive, hell, I could even draw YOUR svx in YOUR color with YOUR wheels on it.

- Rob
Old 03-28-2003, 01:33 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane
I'm thinking about making some SVX shirts, in case anyone's interested. I'm ah... eh.. a pretty competent artist, and I've sold over 150 dollars worth of neon drawings to fellow neon enthusiasts in the past.... would anyone like an SVX t-shirt? I could draw it stock, tweak it a bit to make it a tiny bit more aggressive, hell, I could even draw YOUR svx in YOUR color with YOUR wheels on it.

- Rob
Not sure if I'd want a shirt or not, but I'm always interested in checking out different people's art and drawings, etc. Do you have anything you could post here (even if it is that other car ), or maybe just email it to me if you don't want to put it up here.

If I ever get my SVX painted and done how I want it, it might be cool to have a custom drawing of it done like to display in a frame at car shows, etc. hmmmmmmmm

Old 03-28-2003, 01:54 PM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

Re: Great feedback

Quote:
Originally posted by MacGyver
Yep, this is what I was wondering. Whether people strictly want the promo stuff for collecting, or if they would buy a mug for average price just to drink out of and show off.

I realize the value behind the rare promo items, it is like that with pretty much anything. I've bought and sold enough old stuff on ebay to know that.

Just seeing how much interest there would be in "average priced" non OE promo items. (like in the example, a $10-$20 travel mug that said SVX on it)

Keep the comments coming!
I'd be interested in a travel mug.

I saw travel mugs in Starbucks the other day that can be customized by the owner - The bottom unscrews, and photos, etc can be inserted into the space between the inner and outer walls. A nifty, WELL-DESIGNED AND EXECUTED, SVX-related insert might be simple to do, and the mugs could be created on demand instead of putting in a big order and having unsold stuff sitting around taking up precious garage space. Just a thought.

I just had a mental image of a cool black leather jacket with a big embroidered SVX logo on the back. I'd be interested in one of those if you can get the price down to the same as the travel mugs.
2001 Outback Sport
Old 03-28-2003, 06:24 PM
SVXStowell

The promo mug we bought recently was.... jinxed. We've had the mug with the pretty pearlie on it for two weeks..and just got the news a week ago today that the latest repairs to our beloved SVX have finally gotten to the point of "no return." Tonight is our last night as proud SVX owners (letter of angst to be posted on general forum later). While we could blame the oil leaks that wrecked a timing belt less than 20k after we had a new one done..or we could blame the steering column... we think it MUST have been the mug. Funny how the resolve to "maintain it forever" that we felt after going to Indiana for the tenth anniversary meet wears off when faced with another four thousand dollar repair bill to keep a 12 year old car running for another couple of months..if that. Sighhhhhhhhhh The pain, the pain.

Beverly and Scott
Old 03-28-2003, 06:57 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Instead of selling it, buy another SVX for 3000 bucks and make a good one and a parts car. Duh.