IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2002, 01:19 PM
cjoffe

Remind me again...

Quote:
Originally posted by CopsodyX

BTW when I was at 135 I don't remember making any steering corrections...it was that smooth, and that was with my alignment slightly off.

Aren't you the one with no License???

CJ
Old 11-04-2002, 01:55 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by DavieGravy

When I had my SVX up at 125, it felt like I was doing 200. Very insecure. The steering tightened up quite a bit, wind drag blowing the car everywhere (not from bad weather). I certainly wouldn't maintain much past 110 for very long. To be honest, my 86 honda accord felt more stable at comparable speeds. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with my SVX, but the car does have its drawbacks. I won't sit here and pretend that it doesn't.
I'll have to agree that something was wrong, here. At 135 (even with T-Rated tires), my car was extremely stable and was crying for more. I've maintained 100/110 for long periods of time and felt like I was going 60. To me, the perfect cruising speed for the SVX is 80-85. It seems to find all of it's "happy thoughts" there.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 11-04-2002, 02:24 PM

OK. Now I'm a tad bit worried. What could it be? A bent frame? If so, wouldn't that be a nighmare for the tranny? I took it to get a pre-ownership check. Wouldn't they have told me if something like this was wrong? Also, my car is a noisy SOB on the highway. I know a bearing's bad, but I can tell the difference between that and tire noise. Simply because the noise changes with road texture. And the car leans alot going around highway curves at moderate to fast speeds. Has scared the crap out of me at times. I assumed it was a weight issue, but now I think otherwise.
Thanks.

Last edited by DavieGravy; 11-04-2002 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-04-2002, 02:36 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
OK. Now I'm a tad bit worried. What could it be? A bent frame? If so, wouldn't that be a nighmare for the tranny? I took it to get a pre-ownership check. Wouldn't they have told me if something like this was wrong? Also, my car is a noisy SOB on the highway. I know a bearing's bad, but I can tell the difference between that and tire noise. Simply because the noise changes with road texture. And the car leans alot going around highway curves at moderate to fast speeds. Has scared the crap out of me at times. I assumed it was a weight issue, but now I think otherwise.
Thanks.
Here's a thought (just a thought, mind you), when Harry Newman first started Auto-Crossing his SVX, he had some weird noise issues. He put the car up on a rack and found that almost all of the bolts holding the body to the frame, needed tightening. You might PM or E-mail him and find out what all of his symptoms were and if your symptoms match his, have the bolts tightened. Again, just a thought.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 11-04-2002, 03:34 PM
CopsodyX

Quote:
I've noticed a slight improvement since changing my tires, but even my accord rode solid with bad ones.

I do have a rear spoiler.

I've always been paranoid about weather my car's been in an accident. There is the issue with the driver's side door not lining up with the rest of the paneling on the car. (By the way, I do remember the advice given to me about how to fix this; I still haven’t gotten around to it.)

Also, my car has the black grill between the front headlights, unlike the regular plastic piece I see on every other 92. This suggests to me that the part may have been replaced at one point.

It could just be that I still haven’t gotten used to the weight, even after a year and a half of driving it. I don't know. But there's not much I can do about it now anyway. So I'm not going to worry about it. Besides, the car's in good mechanical shape and I've had no major issues.
About the accident, bring it to any body shop...they'll be able to tell u if it was ever in an accident.

It improved after new tires...well, if I were u, i'd spend $50 on an alignment and balance at pep boys.

My door doesn't line up perfectly either...do you mean that its not flush vertically or horizontally?

Black grill? Do you mean the curvy grill is painted black, or you have the 97 grill? Doesn't mean it was replaced from an accident...many people like the look of the other grills; personally, i like the '92 standard look. They look the best.

I may take time to get used to the weight, but honestly, if anything, the weight will increase high speed stability, not decrease it.

I'm still thinking for you...what kind of tires? Did you replace them all, because leaving garbage ones on the rear can make the car feel funny...they should all be replaced at the same time. Do u have the model with RPM sensitive steering or MPH sensitive steering?
Old 11-04-2002, 03:38 PM
CopsodyX

Quote:
Thanks.
ooh i missed this post sorry...

I think the pre-ownership check would have told u if there was that kind of problem.

My SVX is quieter than my moms 2001 Audi A6 on the highway...

My SVX really doesn't lean at all through most curves, especially highway curves, it really doesn't lean at all...scared you? Thats definitely not normal...the SVX is ultra easy to handle.
Old 11-04-2002, 04:28 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:

When I had my SVX up at 125, it felt like I was doing 200. Very insecure. The steering tightened up quite a bit, wind drag blowing the car everywhere (not from bad weather). I certainly wouldn't maintain much past 110 for very long. To be honest, my 86 honda accord felt more stable at comparable speeds. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with my SVX, but the car does have its drawbacks. I won't sit here and pretend that it doesn't.
My money is on alignment and/or loose tie rod bushings. Definitely get it aligned. Also check your tire pressure. If it is low, especially in the rear, it can cause it to feel squirrelly. See if that doesn't help.
Mine gets all light and squirrelly on me under hard acceleration. I haven't had the car past 90 yet but it feels very stable. That extra 50 -55 mph might make a hell of a difference though. Even though my car tracks straight, I want to get it realigned. The steering wheel is crooked when going straight and it bugs the hell outta me. I think it could use a little toe in to make it feel more secure.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 11-04-2002, 04:42 PM
Boone

Thumbs up

What Johnny said.... Hmm... a buck 25 with a bad bearing. Fairly big brass ones.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:33 PM

Thanks for the responses. I think i'll take it to a body shop. That might be a good idea.
The tires are the cheapest pieces of garbage I was able to find (475 for the set ) Although I had lots of road noise before I replaced them.
Bushings might be bad, there is a knocking noise comming from the front suspension. I've just been too cheap and lazy to deal with it.
I've heard of a couple of people having problems with their doors not closing properly, so there's a good chance it might not be related to an accident.
It's just that the car feels so damned heavy going around turns. And I thought it was normal for the SVX. I guess not.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:41 PM
CopsodyX

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I think i'll take it to a body shop. That might be a good idea.
The tires are the cheapest pieces of garbage I was able to find (475 for the set ) Although I had lots of road noise before I replaced them.
Bushings might be bad, there is a knocking noise comming from the front suspension. I've just been too cheap and lazy to deal with it.
I've heard of a couple of people having problems with their doors not closing properly, so there's a good chance it might not be related to an accident.
It's just that the car feels so damned heavy going around turns. And I thought it was normal for the SVX. I guess not.
What? $475 for garbage tires? You gotta go to STS...I got my stock size Toyo FZ4 Proxies all around for $425 with tax, installation, an alignment (i didn't use it yet), balancing, and people that seemed to know what they were doing. And the tires are great...VERY grippy in any situation, and although I haven't tried them in snow yet, i've heard great things about them. I thought I had bad wheel bearings...turns out it was just ****ty Continentals making noise...these Toyos are almost silent.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:05 PM
Hater

Re: Remind me again...

Quote:
Originally posted by cjoffe

Aren't you the one with no License???

CJ
LOL! 135mph with no license, and wondering why cops seem to hassle him.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 11-04-2002, 11:09 PM
CopsodyX

Re: Re: Remind me again...

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark

LOL! 135mph with no license, and wondering why cops seem to hassle him.
Umm...where I went 135 there were no cops. I would never do that type of thing, speeding, near anyone, or with anyone in my car.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:19 PM
Hater

you don't just get a fine at that speed, though - you go directly to JAIL. how can you do 135 with no one in the car - isn't it illegal to drive on a permit without a licensed driver in the car. double whammy.

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 11-04-2002, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CopsodyX

What? $475 for garbage tires? You gotta go to STS...I got my stock size Toyo FZ4 Proxies all around for $425 with tax, installation, an alignment (i didn't use it yet), balancing, and people that seemed to know what they were doing. And the tires are great...VERY grippy in any situation, and although I haven't tried them in snow yet, i've heard great things about them. I thought I had bad wheel bearings...turns out it was just ****ty Continentals making noise...these Toyos are almost silent.
They're Road Huggers (Size 55, not 60) if that means anything to you. The guy said they'd do well in bad weather. Hah! That's a joke. A little bit of snow or Ice and I can very easily get all 4 wheels spinning. In general, they suck in the snow. I did get a 60k warranty and free balancing thoughout the life of the tires however. And an initial alignment if I'm remebering correctly.
At any rate, I'll admit that I didn't do my research. It sure as hell isn't the first time

Last edited by DavieGravy; 11-04-2002 at 11:38 PM.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:21 AM
$VX

Toyos are crappy tires. Avoid them.

- Ca$h