How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2016, 05:04 PM

question about rear vented rotors

I was reading some old threads concerning brake upgrades and discovered that the SVX's in the UK/NZ and maybe other markets came w/ vented rear rotors. Has anyone made a swap of these vented rear rotors into our USDM SVX's ? The ticker rotors would require wider calipers and maybe a different proportioning meter but would certainly help braking fade. Since our calipers are from the Legacy, a swap would seem possible.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:21 PM

Registered SVX
Re: question about rear vented rotors

i put the rear vented/slotted rotors from disc brake Australia on mine. was not worth the time/effort involved. it took three attempts and six months to get the right parts and it wasn't a noticeable difference. the front brakes are the weakest point on the svx, the rears seem adequate.
1956 Plymouth Belvedere - Daisy
1967 Chevy C20
1953 Chevy 210
1969 Plymouth Satellite
1949 Chevy Thriftmaster
1959 Chevy Apache
1951 Chevy Stepside
1969 Chevy Camper Special
1978 Ford F150 w/ stroked 460
1986 Volvo 740 turbo wagon
1999 GMC 2500 Creep Van
1994 Impreza Outback
Old 08-20-2016, 04:14 PM

Kind of sorry to hear that it's not a simple swap. Since it is OEM in some markets, I thought it might just be a matter of wider calipers and different brackets.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvan View Post
Kind of sorry to hear that it's not a simple swap. Since it is OEM in some markets, I thought it might just be a matter of wider calipers and different brackets.
European SVX owner here: those vented rotors are PITA to get. I actually wonder if going US-spec rear brakes wouldn't be a better option...
Old 08-23-2016, 06:33 AM

Slotted / vented / cross drilled etc, are cheap enough on Ebay..

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FULL-KIT-BLAC...BXpXfn&vxp=mtr

No, they're not Brembo.. but they'll work just fine for anything up to aggressive street driving.

I've gotten on mine HARD from over 200 KPH, .. they didn't warp :-)

Neither did the fronts, same kind.

That being said, I don't think that they'd hold up to Autocross type driving, but for agressive street driving, they're fine, and I love the sound..
Old 08-23-2016, 02:14 PM

Registered SVX

U mean these
I had a caliper seize up so bad I had smoke coming out the wheel well when I parked .. Rotor is fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (809.8 KB, 271 views)
Old 08-24-2016, 10:33 AM

Registered SVX
Smile Re: question about rear vented rotors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucksta View Post
Slotted / vented / cross drilled etc, are cheap enough on Ebay..

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FULL-KIT-BLAC...BXpXfn&vxp=mtr

No, they're not Brembo.. but they'll work just fine for anything up to aggressive street driving.

I've gotten on mine HARD from over 200 KPH, .. they didn't warp :-)

Neither did the fronts, same kind.

That being said, I don't think that they'd hold up to Autocross type driving, but for agressive street driving, they're fine, and I love the sound..
Hi, you sure that the rears are vented? I thought only UK/JDM and European cars got them.. I've been looking in the UK for some, not much choice
Old 08-26-2016, 04:38 AM

NZ new did not come with vented rears - but there are quite a few JDM imports here with vented rears.

If you (in the USA) decide to "upgrade" to vented ones then you will also need different calipers and pads - which you will find hard to get hold of in the future....

Check out this site which I have used to get a few parts from in Japan - quite a bit cheaper than local in NZ.

http://www.jauce.com/search/Subaru+SVX

have fun.....
1995 LSI, Added the following - Gear Firm-Up unit (that I sell) together with Power TCU ROM & Power switch, K&N air filter, SVX side badges (USA type), Rear Deck Blower (JDM type), Side front markers (USA type), Side rear markers (USA type), Middle rear light (USA type), USA OEM Fog Lights fitted into NZ OEM glass (NZ OEM headlights had only reflectors fitted) Full set of yellow (90SH) Polish bushes includes 15 min mod, R1 Concepts drilled/slotted/gold finish rotors & Red covered braided brake lines (both from Dayle at Motorsport warehouse), EBC Redstuff brake pads. Full SVX bra (only used for shows). Koni adjustable inserts fitted inside OEM strut body, Zoom lowering springs (2" lower), OEM headlight washers fitted.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:27 PM

Since our calipers are from the Legacy, I thought that getting rear vented rotors/calipers/brackets wouldn't be such an issue.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:49 AM

I also remember someone mentioning that they are the same as Nissan Pathfinder ?.
1995 LSI, Added the following - Gear Firm-Up unit (that I sell) together with Power TCU ROM & Power switch, K&N air filter, SVX side badges (USA type), Rear Deck Blower (JDM type), Side front markers (USA type), Side rear markers (USA type), Middle rear light (USA type), USA OEM Fog Lights fitted into NZ OEM glass (NZ OEM headlights had only reflectors fitted) Full set of yellow (90SH) Polish bushes includes 15 min mod, R1 Concepts drilled/slotted/gold finish rotors & Red covered braided brake lines (both from Dayle at Motorsport warehouse), EBC Redstuff brake pads. Full SVX bra (only used for shows). Koni adjustable inserts fitted inside OEM strut body, Zoom lowering springs (2" lower), OEM headlight washers fitted.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:34 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURTEESS View Post
I also remember someone mentioning that they are the same as Nissan Pathfinder ?.
The Pads are according to the x-ref materials.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:10 PM

Are we saying that the rotors/caliper are from the Pathfinder since the pads are from that vehicle? Many cars/crossovers/etc. can use the same pads but the remaining brake parts are different.