IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-16-2001, 08:47 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Both Super & Turbo

Quote:
Originally posted by 249SVX
About the different induction thingy. There was a MK1 MR2 (modified) that used the supercharger to spool up the big a***d turbo that was on it. Made somewhere around 400hp. Not bad for a 1.6 liter.
Not to be picky, but how does a supercharger spool up a turbocharger, which is normally spun by exhaust gasses? If the supercharger was mechanically involved in spinning the turbo, wouldn't that turbo then just be called another supercharger?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-16-2001, 08:52 AM

Registered SVX
Re: rotors

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXphile
Speaking of rotors, have you ever seen those pictures from the underside of the Nascar cars? Wheel cams or rotor cams or something like that. Especially at road courses or Martinsville? Boy those suckers get cherry red! Sometimes they even melt the bead on the tires an blow them out. Heaps of heat!
Don
In F1 (and a lot of series out there) there is no need for a separate camera. The carbon discs on the cars heat to a bright orange very quickly under braking.

As for NASCAR, I was at least beginning to accept it as legitimate (without actually watching a race, because I still find them excruciatingly boring). But then recently I caught the beginning of a NASCAR news program on Speedvision. One of the commentators began with 'this week's race was boring - there were no wrecks.'

An admission, perhaps, that NASCAR *IS* boring - unless people are getting killed.

Sorry if I offended fans. Feel free to tear into F1 for its lack of overtaking and its inaccessibility for the majority of US fans.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 11-16-2001, 11:28 AM
still in love with Hannah

Re: Re: Re: Both Super & Turbo

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Not to be picky, but how does a supercharger spool up a turbocharger, which is normally spun by exhaust gasses? If the supercharger was mechanically involved in spinning the turbo, wouldn't that turbo then just be called another supercharger?
The supercharger acted as the exhaust gasses to spool up the turbo. The turbo was too big for the little engine to spool. I guess it could be called another supercharger, even though he used a turbo for it.
1996 Legacy Outback-"Gilda" white with brown trim
Old 11-16-2001, 12:22 PM
Lowered SVX

f1 is very fast and i think there is passing.

nascar is definitely boring and i dont care who i offend. almost every race is on an oval and it is just not exciting. dont worry i feel the same about cart and the irl.

my favorite is the SCCA gt glass races. let's audis, bmws, porches......could it get any better? i mean all the cars are based on production cars you could purchase and modify in similiar ways.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 11-16-2001, 01:02 PM

Registered SVX
Re: f1 is very fast and i think there is passing.

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
nascar is definitely boring and i dont care who i offend. almost every race is on an oval and it is just not exciting. dont worry i feel the same about cart and the irl.

my favorite is the SCCA gt glass races. let's audis, bmws, porches......could it get any better? i mean all the cars are based on production cars you could purchase and modify in similiar ways.
Sports car racing of almost any type is fun to watch. I caught a Showroom Stock C race on Speedvision a couple weeks ago. Neons, Proteges and Sentras. Fun!

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 11-16-2001, 01:54 PM
Lowered SVX

i know exactly what race you are talking about.

it was super competitive. the cars basically were stock with roll cages. cool to see them out there jetting around the race track. i would pay money to be able to do that on the weekend for fun.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 11-16-2001, 02:51 PM

Registered SVX
Re: i know exactly what race you are talking about.

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
it was super competitive. the cars basically were stock with roll cages. cool to see them out there jetting around the race track. i would pay money to be able to do that on the weekend for fun.
Well, the one I watched a couple weeks ago was at Mid-Ohio. I've seen many SS races before - mostly at Road America in WI.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 11-16-2001, 03:53 PM
Lowered SVX

if i turn on the tv, i have to.....

check and see what is on speedvision. they do a lot of stupid boat races and i really hate the product showcase crap. surely their is enough racing archive footage they can show other than that junk. thumbs down for speedvision in the content dept. sometimes. about the only things i watch are some of the concours type show, anything scca, or pro rally, F1, and that is about it.
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 11-16-2001, 05:04 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Just on the turbo/supercharger, the Nissan March came with a turbosupercharged engine (a few of them came to Oz as a grey import) and HKS make a turbosupercharger bolt on kit for the Toyota Corolla of the early 1990's.

The engine that was used (I can't remember the designation) is very popular as an engine for Caterham type kit cars such as the PRB Clubman (www.prbclubman.com.au I think) so you can imagine the performance with a turbosupercharger.

That sounds so wicked to say....."Turbosupercharged SVX"

Off to by lottery tickets

Jamsvx

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 11-16-2001, 05:57 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
F1/Nascar

<Sorry if I offended fans. Feel free to tear into F1 for its lack of overtaking and its inaccessibility for the majority of US fans>

No offense. True, F1 can boring with its lack of passing...."Honey, wake up! There was a pass for 5th place!!!!"....but perhaps people were bored when Richard Petty and David Pearson were winning everything in Nascar. It just depends on what one likes I guess. I can (and do) enjoy almost everything out there IF THE COVERAGE IS GOOD. There is nothing worse than a good race poorly covered....ARE YOU LISTENING ABC? Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"