Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-13-2001, 07:47 AM
British Car Junky

Send a message via AIM to EveryShadeofBlue Send a message via Yahoo to EveryShadeofBlue
Unhappy To Dismantle or not to Dismantle?

That is the question. If you haven't read parts of the drama that has strucken my car tune into the technical Q&A section under "Blown Engine" or read the copy in Chris' shop.

I have someone that is willing to help me dismantle my entire car so I can sell it piece by piece. Now, what I need to know is how many vultures are circling above and want pieces. My car is in near perfect condition except this current engine problem. The transmission only has 10,000 miles on it and is still under warranty. New alternator. Lots of new parts and all the exterior parts are in good shape. The passenger sun visor sags and the light doesn't work, sorry (I know that's what most of you'd want!). Oh, and the passenger side window has scratches on it.

Now, if you could kindly let me know of any requests you have and what you'd be willing to pay, that would help me in my quest to decide what to do.

How much do you think I could get for the tranny? I was thinking up to $1,500. Is that crazy?

Jeff

P.S. This should probably be in the parts section of the site, but there's no final decision yet on what to do, so I am leaving it here.
Old 11-13-2001, 10:04 AM

sell it to me!!!

You should sell me the entire car for $2000 or buy my spare motor. there is no reason to part a good SVX just because the motor is burnt. Last time I checked, an entire short block from subaru was about $1500 but then labor will kick you in the a$$. If you had the $, you could build an extremely powerful motor and be the fastest street legal SVX around. I'd say $1500 is a bit high with the declining price in rebuilds.
chris
Old 11-13-2001, 10:24 AM
British Car Junky

Send a message via AIM to EveryShadeofBlue Send a message via Yahoo to EveryShadeofBlue
How much do you want for the spare motor? Selling the car for $2,000 would mean a $1,500 shortfall on what I owe on it. Compound that with the $5,000 in debt I'm paying off from various repairs in the last year, and I'm heading down the road to bankruptcy. As much of a pain as dismantling, shipping, etc would be, I'm sure I'd clear at least $4,000. Plus, I'd be helping out fellow SVXers. That could be my legacy!

Jeff
Old 11-13-2001, 11:32 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Jeff, I think you may be "jumping the gun" on this deal. I'd buy "Beav" a plane ticket to FL and let him check it over before I decided anything rash. From what I've gathered, I don't think he thinks you have a blown engine. If I were a mean and callous fellow, I'd pay you the 3600.00 you're asking, fix the injector or coil problem and drive the car home. I'd hate to see you strip a perfectly good car because of an injector--fuel rail--coil problem. And, yes, 1,500 would probably be excessive for the tranny. I only paid 1200 for the rebuild on my SVX tranny. The rebuild on the Legacy tranny (including installing an A/M cooler was 2,100.

Again, I'd hate to see you shoot yourself in the foot over this car.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 11-13-2001, 12:43 PM
British Car Junky

Hey Randy. Thanks for the concern. I already have contacted the dealer and am asking them to do what Beav described...take out the spark plugs and try to crank the engine by hand and see what that does. Also, ask them to check to make sure the battery isn't dead If that doesn't work, my options are very limited.

Wish me luck!

Jeff
Old 11-13-2001, 01:20 PM

I hadn't realized you owed that much when I made the offer. I wouldn't have that kind of coin until Christmas time, and my dad was planning to take me to florida over Christmas break. Perhaps I'll be in your area. I was thinking somewhere along the lines of $700 for the motor w/84k. It has been sitting for almost 2 years so I'd have to do a compression/leakdown test before I would sell. With any luck it is something minor. If the engine is flooded, you could pull the fuel pump fuse (as long as it isn't on the same same circuit as the DIS) and turn the key allowing the spark to burn the excess gas. If there is water in the piston area, it must be cleared before an attempt is made to start the car as water does not compress and will prevent a motor from turning. Sometimes it will crack a piston.
chris
Old 11-14-2001, 12:25 PM
Lowered SVX

wow blue.....didnt realize you....

were in that kind of trouble with your svx. i wish you the best.

i was just in tampa sunday, monday, and tuesday.......damn we could have planned a meet! of course i would of been without my svx so what would have been the point.....
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 11-14-2001, 12:47 PM
British Car Junky

You don't need to have your SVX with you to meet another SVXer. You share a common bond and there's always lots of car talk to have. Sorry I missed you, would have been nice to hang out with another SVXer since all the ones in Tampa seem to be disinterested in the car they drive.

Jeff
Old 11-14-2001, 04:18 PM
Lowered SVX

$hit......

now i feel bad. i was on a business trip so it would have been difficult but i still should have made some time. sorry.....

i stayed at the courtyard by marriot on tampa and cass. why are all the svxers in tampa disinterested??
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 11-14-2001, 04:24 PM
British Car Junky

Floridians

I don't know what it is. All of the fellow SVX owners I meet just seem to have no real passion for the car, like it's any old Dodge or something. I don't understand it. Plus, Floridians can be laid back and kinda lazy

Jeff

P.S. If you woulda been here you could have had first dibs on parts off my car if I have to go that route!
Old 11-15-2001, 05:06 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Don't dissmantle it! There are few enough of these cars on the road, Listed sayes he's got an engine for $700.00, sounds like a great deal to me, to save another SVX.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 11-15-2001, 06:45 AM
Lowered SVX

i have to agree with huck.....

the last couple of times i lost hope and almost decided to get rid of my svx i found the problems. just be persistant and i am sure they will find out what is wrong. it has got to be something simple.
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 11-15-2001, 12:55 PM
British Car Junky

Thanks to our new engine saver, Beav, I won't have to dismantle my car (read in the Technical area for the update).

I will however be selling my car in the near future. Anyone interested? For $5,000 firm you'd get:

Black '92 LSL with 115,000 miles
New transmission with 11,000 miles or 14 months left on warranty
- 2 month old alternator
- 1 month old driver side CV axle
- 2 new rear wheel bearings (one is 8 months old, one is 3 months old)
- 6 month old A/C evaporator and high pressure hose
- 8 month old driver side window regulator
- Immaculate interior except for a passenger side drooping sunvisor and light that doesn't work
- Immaculate exterior with the exception of one scrape that has touch up paint on it and a pretty scraped up (and painted over) driver's side mirror.

Pictures in my locker!

Thanks,
jeff
Old 11-15-2001, 02:31 PM
Lowered SVX

wow got it fixed and still selling.....

you must have some issues to resolve if you are still getting rid of the svx. well i wish you the best of luck.
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 11-19-2001, 06:12 PM
iced_out_svx

Hey LISTED, I too am in Florida and I am interested in the engine. I also blew mine. 700$ foe an 84k engine isn't bad. If you do your compression test and everything works out I will take it off you hands. Let me know what you want to do. Send me a pm since I can never find threads on here. Thanks. ICE