Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2001, 11:19 PM
BlackSi

What to look for in 92 models?

I'm shopping for 92 SVX since its the cheapest but heard lot about horror stories of transmission woes. What should I look for in shopping for high milage 92 models? Would I be better of looking at 93 or 94? But I only have $2500-3000 budget and only thing I can find in that price range is high milage 92 models. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

John
Old 12-06-2001, 02:40 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
From what I see happening to my customers most people sell their cars when they need a $1000 or so in repairs. It only takes a bat of an eye to run up a $400-$500 repair bill. If you read through a lot of the posts here regarding trannys you'll see that all years are afflicted. Probably the best thing to do is to look into an extended warranty for whatever car you're considering. One tranny rebuild will double the price of the car. Best suggestion would be to either save a bit more or find a nice Corolla, etc. and set aside some of the money for tires, brakes, etc. Nobody wants to buy a car and have it go down for a repair that leaves them without wheels until they can afford the repairs.

I truly hope you find what you want, just be careful.

Beav
Old 12-06-2001, 08:24 AM
British Car Junky

Send a message via AIM to EveryShadeofBlue Send a message via Yahoo to EveryShadeofBlue
For $2,500 to $3,000 you'd probably be purchasing trouble. That's a really low price and with that you'd probably get an unknown or questionable history and current problems. I would rather pay $5,000 for an SVX with a newer transmission (proof must be provided) and wheel bearings than spend $2,500 for some bargain basement SVX. Just a new transmission alone will set you back $3,000, so that $2,500 car turns into a $5,500 car. The SVX ain't cheap to fix!

I am still probably going to sell my car when I get it back from having a new engine installed (dealer messed it up, LONG story). The minimum I want is $5,000. The car has 115,000 miles, but it also has a new transmission under warranty and a new set of rear wheel bearings under warranty as well as a bucket load of other new parts. You can't buy that piece of mind for $2,500 or even $3,500.

So, I'd either recommend you save up more money or look for a different type of car. I'd hate to see you spend your hard earned money and then end up having to put in a new transmission 6 months later. It's rough... I've been there and work 2 jobs because of it! But hey, it's a labor of love.

Jeff

Last edited by EveryShadeofBlue; 12-06-2001 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-06-2001, 08:27 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Unhappy

If you expect to find a '92 for under 3K, I suggest it needs LOTSA work. Some club members have offered to sell their '92s from a minimum of $4,500 up, & they were in need of SOME repair. Like the beav says, this ain't a car for someone who'll be bankrupt at the thought of a wheel bearing replacement. Stick with the Corollas of this world, & come back in 2 years, at which time a decent '92 MAY be selling in your price range. I hope not, however, as I would prefer the cars to begin rising in value.
Good old fashioned greed on my part.
Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 12-06-2001, 08:35 AM
British Car Junky

Send a message via AIM to EveryShadeofBlue Send a message via Yahoo to EveryShadeofBlue
Amen Ron! I have noticed that the price of SVX's have stayed very steady the last 2 years (for the 92's anyway). They don't seem to be dropping like a rock anymore and now that a '92 in GOOD condition is getting harder to find, I see an actual increase in values of the cars that have been well cared for. Anyone else agree?

Jeff
Old 12-06-2001, 10:59 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
...I see an actual increase in values of the cars that have been well cared for. Anyone else agree?

of course that's coming from someone that's selling his car....heheheheh

Beav
Old 12-06-2001, 11:19 AM
British Car Junky

Can't blame me for trying Beav If someone wants $50,000 for an untitled '97, that means I should ask $10,000 for mine, right? hehehe....

Back to reality....

Jeff
Old 12-06-2001, 03:20 PM
BlackSi

Thanks guys. Reason I was thinking about SVX was the fact that I could get one for $1495 at a local dealer but don't know what kind of shape it is in. To be safe, I came here to learn more about problems that '92 SVX might have since it's first year run of these car and all. And I saw one guy selling it for ~$1890 with fixed transmission and wheel bearing. Don't know if the trans. was rebuilt or not but that's still cheap price.

I was not looking for SVX from the beginning but just came across a car that fit my needs at a right cost. I'm shopping for something with AWD and ABS with auto for my g/f. She needs a car and doesn't want to drive my car and is not willing to learn to drive stick either. I used to have '95 Impreza L coupe. I loved and still love those Imprezas especially WRX. I had some major fun during winter and felt confident driving in winter time. So I was looking at old model subarus and came across cheap '92 SVX. I guess, unless I can folk some more money I'll be better of getting Impreza or Legacy. Can you suggest me any good year model for any one of these in my budget? Thanks...

John
Old 12-06-2001, 08:15 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Talking

WHAT? For under $1,895.00 I can get a couple'a genuine SVXex with a "fixed" hehe, tranny & wheel bearings? Has this car been rolled in a swamp a few times? I mean he's selling the whole car for about half the price of a new "rebuilt" tranny. Something's just a tad amiss here. I suggest the "dealer" is dealing in more than just automobiles.
Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.

Last edited by Ron Mummert; 12-06-2001 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-08-2001, 04:42 AM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally posted by EveryShadeofBlue
Amen Ron! I have noticed that the price of SVX's have stayed very steady the last 2 years (for the 92's anyway). They don't seem to be dropping like a rock anymore and now that a '92 in GOOD condition is getting harder to find, I see an actual increase in values of the cars that have been well cared for. Anyone else agree?
Jeff
ohhh..doesn't matter! because i do not see any reasons why i need to sell my svx yet... keep steady or increase in values will be good for us....means our cars have more value.....and can't see any reasons why this wonderful car is going too cheap..../shouldn't be going too cheap.....

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 12-08-2001, 04:51 AM
One teal and One yellow

Re: What to look for in 92 models?

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackSi
I'm shopping for 92 SVX since its the cheapest but heard lot about horror stories of transmission woes. What should I look for in shopping for high milage 92 models? Would I be better of looking at 93 or 94? But I only have $2500-3000 budget and only thing I can find in that price range is high milage 92 models. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
John
personally, i think w/ ur budget is hard to get a decent '92's but even w/ the cheap one you talked about...fishy & risky. it may be not too expensive to get one but expensive to feed & drive.

corrolla is a good car, prizm is another good buy. they are actually twim sisters. want AWD & ABS w/ that budget may be hard, she may be able to find an older legacy w/ that feature. why don't you find her an auto impreza(same as yours) w/ AWD if there's an ABS is fine as new as possible w/ that budget? so actually you should know that car pretty well....

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05