Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX > Political Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Support of drilling is a capitalist position ...
*cough* ..

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:38 PM
SVX Addict

Send a message via MSN to BRADY Send a message via Skype™ to BRADY
Registered SVX
Re: Interesting times

Please check out www.infowars.com

Cheers,

Mike
1992 SVX Mica Red/Black (Ruby Pearl) (ADM)- 290,000 kms. With Koni adjustable front shocks, THRICE o/hauled 4EAT with transmission cooler and now the 'QUICK CHANGE' unit, custom PWR aluminium radiator, replacement water pump, fuel pump, crank pulley, Pioneer 6 x 9 rear and 6 inch front speakers, Sony Head unit, rattles from the front end and steering, front DBA slotted rotors. Blown heater core, ruined CV joints, new car park damage. FOR SALE... www.thebeatleboys.com
Old 11-05-2008, 10:44 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Strange you should say that Lee. About 52% of Americans who voted agree he is the man for the job.

unfortunately, many Americans also eat at McDonald's multiple times per week, watch NASCAR, and forward chain e-mails about urban legends.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 11-06-2008, 02:39 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
unfortunately, many Americans also eat at McDonald's multiple times per week, watch NASCAR, and forward chain e-mails about urban legends.
Well, sure, and many Americans think "racing" is launching their cars from traffic lights, but nobody's perfect Alan.

I detect sarcasm. What have you got against NASCAR anyway? Is Ricky Bobby not a real person?

White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 11-06-2008, 02:52 AM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse

I agree, interesting times are ahead of us. Sarcasm or bitter republicans won't change that fact. I hope he gets a chance to do some good before some pissed off nazi skinhead gets his way.

After The white house has been repainted, and a few months of him being in office roll by...around march or april, nobody will give a rats a$$ anymore.

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 11-06-2008, 03:30 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingElse View Post
After The white house has been repainted, and a few months of him being in office roll by...around march or april, nobody will give a rats a$$ anymore.
Wow! Repainting the White House! That IS news, I had not heard that.

Are they repainting it black, or chocolate color?

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 11-06-2008, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77 View Post
Secondly, I agree that he obtained a majority, but all the time I was thinking of the 30s and Germany.
Parallels between the election of a black man in the United States with the rise of the Nazis in Germany? Holy cow, that's more troubling than the "liberal media conspiracy" to keep Cindy McCain's enthusiasm for motorsports under wraps. (Did the network have "technical difficulties" when she drove the NASCAR pace car at Pocono?)

I think Republicans would do well to consider the likelihood that no small number voted for Mr. Obama largely because the vitriolic, "I'm right and you're an idiot" (as expressed repeatedly hereabouts) arch-Right dynamic is getting very tiresome, and certainly garners few votes form folks who generally don't appreciate having either their intelligence nor patriotism questioned.

dcb
Old 11-06-2008, 06:22 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX

I supported Obama against McCain for the same reason I supported him against Hillary. Both McCain and Hillary were managed by old-line political hack consultants, who spend their off election years as lobbyist and influence mongers. Hillary's guy, Mark Penn, was among the worst of these. These guys have no principles, no beliefs, they are all self-serving ego-maniacs who use the candidates as vehicles for their own person welath and power grabbing. If I never see James Carville or Mary Matalan again it will be too soon.

The potential and actual success of a president is determined by the people around him. Jimmy Carter was a crappy president, not because he was a bad guy, but becuase he had a bunch of yahoos from Georgia running his shop.

If you look at the mess that was McCain's campaign you can see that it was just more of the same.

The fact that Obama was already preparing for his transition 3 months ago is not an indication of his hubris, it is an indication that he is a good manager and a smart businesman. If you think there is a 60-40 chance that something is going to happen, you would be well advised to begin to prepare for that as early in advance as possible.

All of the whining from the republicans about Obama's winning: he had so much money; he had so many people working for him; he turned down public funding; he only agreed to do 3 debates. All of these were pragmatic, and ultimately successful and correct decisions and achievements made by Obama and his staff.

What we desperately need out of a president is decision-making that is correct and effective for the long-term, not that seems right for right now, but may come back to bite us next month. We need smart guys. We need the kind of guys that sat around the table during the Cuban missle crisis and backed down Kruschev while avoiding a nuclear holocasut. The common chaacteristics of these guys were that they were smart, well-educated, , achievers, directed, tough, pragmatic, and, did I mention, that they were really smart. We desperately need that again. Obama impresses me as being the most together politician I have seen in a long time. Getting himself elected was a colossal achievement, and he didn't even have a daddy to buy Illinois for him (look it up).

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 11-06-2008, 08:09 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunslade View Post
Obama impresses me as being the most together politician I have seen in a long time. Getting himself elected was a colossal achievement, and he didn't even have a daddy to buy Illinois for him (look it up).
This is something I find impressive also, and being from outside I don't carry the baggage of allegiance to any party.

He actually had to win two presidential elections; he had a major job to push Ms Clinton aside, then he had to go on and beat McCain.

I still see McCain as a good candidate, and the campaign mistakes that were made were by the party, not the candidate. They relied too much on core support, not recognising in time this was a whole new demographic ballgame. Selecting Palin was a mistake. Joe the Plumber might have been a better running mate. At least he would have diverted less attention from the Candidate and the core issues, onces his taxes were brought up to date.

Sorting the economic issues will require a lot of smart people, no matter who attained the White House. Obama may not have long experience on his side, but at least he has shown he has the balls to buck the status quo and he has strategic vision. That's why I think it will be interesting to see what happens next.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 11-06-2008, 08:21 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX

[QUOTE=shotgunslade;571476] If I never see James Carville or Mary Matalan again it will be too soon.
QUOTE]

I whole heartedly second that.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 11-06-2008, 01:05 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
Parallels between the election of a black man in the United States with the rise of the Nazis in Germany? Holy cow, that's more troubling than the "liberal media conspiracy" to keep Cindy McCain's enthusiasm for motorsports under wraps. (Did the network have "technical difficulties" when she drove the NASCAR pace car at Pocono?)

I think Republicans would do well to consider the likelihood that no small number voted for Mr. Obama largely because the vitriolic, "I'm right and you're an idiot" (as expressed repeatedly hereabouts) arch-Right dynamic is getting very tiresome, and certainly garners few votes form folks who generally don't appreciate having either their intelligence nor patriotism questioned.

dcb
First, let me clarify the comparison a bit as you are trying to put words in my mouth. I did not compare Obama with the Nazis, but simply a large segment of the populace (particularyly young ones) was swayed by captivating rhetoric with promises that can not be fulfilled. How can so many be fooled by such oratory???

Secondly, it is actually the far left that best fits the "I'm right and you are an idiot" label when they refer to the conservative right. All you have to do to prove that is go back and review the words at that infamous far left liberal fund raiser in San Francisco.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 11-06-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
First, let me clarify the comparison a bit as you are trying to put words in my mouth. I did not compare Obama with the Nazis, but simply a large segment of the populace (particularyly young ones) was swayed by captivating rhetoric with promises that can not be fulfilled. How can so many be fooled by such oratory???

Secondly, it is actually the far left that best fits the "I'm right and you are an idiot" label when they refer to the conservative right. All you have to do to prove that is go back and review the words at that infamous far left liberal fund raiser in San Francisco.

Lee
Did not intend to skew your comments, but still, such a reference to 30s Germany is out there. I believe most who voted for Mr. Obama made an informed, carefully reasoned choice (if only to vote out the Republicans), rather than blindly jumping onto a cult-of-personality bandwagon, as you seem to believe.

And speaking of out there, you're right (well, maybe half-right): The rhetoric from BOTH extremes gets pretty tiresome.

dcb
Old 11-06-2008, 02:22 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Yes, I agree with that Lee. I rolled two statements into one sentence and I meant overseas military spending was the bleed that is about to be staunched.

Being in the pocket of the oil industry is one of the reasons your gas is not taxed as heavily as the rest of the world.

The part that I dislike the most of the administration being too close to the oil industry would be there are no government incentives or drives to reduce consumption, because this impacts on gas sales. The USA is out of step with the rest of the world here, big time. Every other country on the planet is making moves to reduce consumption, reduce carbon emissions.

You are comparing oranges with apples. Taxing the oil companies only passes the cost on to the consumer and has nothing to do with anyone being in anyone's pocket. Now IF our transportation problem ONLY covered an area the size of the state of Oregon (the size of UK)--it might be practical to overtax people as you seem to want. Our transportation requirements are far more massive than the tiny EU countries. AND, I think if you really do some research you will find that our emissions standards have been more restrictive historically than those of Europe AND Asia. As I seem to recall one of favorite preowned vehicles (Austin Healey III) was stopped from importing into the US because the company did not want to modify it to meet US emissions standards.

And to the expense of our military overseas, I seem to remember MANY times in the past where several countries were VERY happy to see us spend the money. As the attached AUSTRALIAN political cartoon indicates--there were and are some reasons for it. Seems the Aussies have a pretty good grasp of our political/econ situation. More than I can say for most Europeans.

Lee
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Really.bmp (374.7 KB, 378 views)
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 11-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:

And to the expense of our military overseas, I seem to remember MANY times in the past where several countries were VERY happy to see us spend the money. As the attached AUSTRALIAN political cartoon indicates--there were and are some reasons for it. Seems the Aussies have a pretty good grasp of our political/econ situation. More than I can say for most Europeans.

Lee

Can't see any thing Australian in that Lee, but I can assure you that the majority of Australians are relived that the Democrats are in control.
Now is the time for the tools of war to be set aside, replaced with the tools of work, to rebuild the life and lands of the many people that have suffered due to the war machine.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
Can't see any thing Australian in that Lee, but I can assure you that the majority of Australians are relived that the Democrats are in control.
Now is the time for the tools of war to be set aside, replaced with the tools of work, to rebuild the life and lands of the many people that have suffered due to the war machine.

Harvey.
Those were from Aussie newspapers.

I take it you were a Saddam supporter and supported Taliban control of Afghanistan?? And don't really believe there is a war on terror??

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE