Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-13-2003, 10:18 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by sfsvx

You're right about the concept. Whether it's really something to worry about or not is another question.

I've always wondered, since you have to tip the filter on its "side" to screw it on, how do you keep the oil from dribbling out while you're trying to get the filter installed?

Yeah, much too much trouble for me. I'm sure, that if this was something to be concerned with, my Uncle would have taught me the technique when I was working with him at the service station in my teens. I got to do the good ol' simple stuff (oil changes, tire changes/ rotations, battery checks/replacements, diff checks, etc). He was adamant about lubing the gasket, but, never said anything (nor did he do it when he changed filters) about pre-filling the filter.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-13-2003, 10:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
You must not be talking about the SVX.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by sfsvx
I've always wondered, since you have to tip the filter on its "side" to screw it on, how do you keep the oil from dribbling out while you're trying to get the filter installed?
Old 03-13-2003, 11:18 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by kuoh
You must not be talking about the SVX.

KuoH

Oh, yes he is. Some of us don't remove the belly pan, nor raise the car to change the oil/filter.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-13-2003, 12:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
What, are you two aliens or something? My head can't even fit under there without ramps, let alone the rest of my body.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
Oh, yes he is. Some of us don't remove the belly pan, nor raise the car to change the oil/filter.
Old 03-13-2003, 12:31 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
What, are you two aliens or something? My head can't even fit under there without ramps, let alone the rest of my body.

KuoH

Bwak mih do nip to whan.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-13-2003, 12:36 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:

KuoH

Actually, I call it the "Little Stevie Wonder" method. The filter change is done mostly by feel. At first, I had to get my bearings on getting to the filter by peeking through the hole created, through the belly pan, by the tow hook. After that, piece of cake.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-13-2003, 12:41 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:

KuoH

I'm with you, Kuoh. I always drive the car up on ramps and pull the belly pan to change the oil and filter.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-13-2003, 12:47 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

I'm with you, Kuoh. I always drive the car up on ramps and pull the belly pan to change the oil and filter.
I like for my car to be flat when I change the oil. With the car tilted, there's the chance the car will retain more dirty oil than if changed flat. Since I don't have a lift, I prefer to keep her on the ground. I have ramps, and will use them for, say, changing the O2 Sensors, but, again, I like to keep her flat for the oil change. But, that's just me. Horses for courses.

(BTW Nick, in another thread, Rufus says he loves Google much, much, much more than you or Doug. )
Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-13-2003, 09:52 PM
Original Owner 1992-2008

Send a message via AIM to MoreIBNR
So much to say, so little time. (I haven't been on this list for sooo long).

First - I have used Fram on my SVX since it was new - all 153,000 miles minus the first couple of thousand. Have never had a problem. Though I had read that "study" years ago, Fram is still a respected name, has been around a long time, and I just can't believe that the product is as crappy as the "study" indicates.

Second, for those of you who do not remove the "belly pan," when you loosen the oil filter and all that oil comes pouring out, do you just leave it running all over your garage floor or spend more time mopping it up than it would take to remove the pan?

Third, if I not mistaken, the drain plug is at the rear of the oil pan. Therefore, jacking up the front would promote more complete draining of the pan than otherwise.
Old 03-14-2003, 12:12 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Hi Gary,

You come off as being a rather to the point and direct person when pointing out the errors of others. Your really a much nicer than that.

Maybe all the oil just drips off and leaks into the gravel driveway and water supply.

Maybe no worse than all the other leaking engines that run up and down the highway everyday.

John
Old 03-14-2003, 12:58 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally posted by MoreIBNR
So much to say, so little time. (I haven't been on this list for sooo long).

First - I have used Fram on my SVX since it was new - all 153,000 miles minus the first couple of thousand. Have never had a problem. Though I had read that "study" years ago, Fram is still a respected name, has been around a long time, and I just can't believe that the product is as crappy as the "study" indicates.

Second, for those of you who do not remove the "belly pan," when you loosen the oil filter and all that oil comes pouring out, do you just leave it running all over your garage floor or spend more time mopping it up than it would take to remove the pan?

Third, if I not mistaken, the drain plug is at the rear of the oil pan. Therefore, jacking up the front would promote more complete draining of the pan than otherwise.
I never had a Fram problem either on any of the 5 subies I've owned and have also read the study and feel the same way you do. I did change from Quaker State after reading a bad study about that but it was mostly b/c I started using Castrol higher mileage oil

I also never remove the belly pan. I just use one of those Fake Butter containers under the filter when I turn it to remove it. Works great. I usually end up getting more oil on the ground from splatter if I take the belly pan off. It does take a little practice to get the filter on the first time though I do admit.
Old 03-14-2003, 01:23 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by MoreIBNR

First of all, I replace the drain plug, and then, slide my drain pan under the place where the oil drains when I drop the filter. No mopping up.

Secondly, I suppose that's why all service station lifts have a rearward tilt to them.

I'll stay flat, thank you. Process takes about 15 minutes -- I'm sure most spend more time than that removing belly pans and jacking/ramping the car.
Subaru Ambassador

Last edited by Aredubjay; 03-14-2003 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-14-2003, 11:45 PM
Original Owner 1992-2008

Hi, John - I really wasn't trying to be nasty - maybe I should have included a couple of the smilies. I was just wondering how others dealt with the problem of the oil running down the filter as they loosen it without removing the pan. I have done many dumb things (in retrospect) over the years which ended up with me spending time mopping up my garage floor.

Letting the oil leak into the ground is illegal, and if it is detected, will cost a mint to remediate.

Also, I really didn't think I was pointing out anyone's errors, just asking a question (with, perhaps a tongue-in-cheek observation).

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
Hi Gary,

You come off as being a rather to the point and direct person when pointing out the errors of others. Your really a much nicer than that.

Maybe all the oil just drips off and leaks into the gravel driveway and water supply.

Maybe no worse than all the other leaking engines that run up and down the highway everyday.

John
Old 03-14-2003, 11:53 PM
Original Owner 1992-2008

Hi, Randy - I believe you miunderstood my remark - I was not advocating jacking the front up, merely pointing out that I do not believe any harm is caused by doing so. I leave mine flat when I change oil also.

As for the belly pan, I always remove it. It only takes a few minutes and besides, my oil pan won't slide under without removing it. Also, I wouldn't have thought that where the oil would drip down from the belly pan would be that predictable - I would have thought it would run down from a couple of places. But if it works for you, great! Maybe I will try it that way next time.

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

First of all, I replace the drain plug, and then, slide my drain pan under the place where the oil drains when I drop the filter. No mopping up.

Secondly, I suppose that's why all service station lifts have a rearward tilt to them.

I'll stay flat, thank you. Process takes about 15 minutes -- I'm sure most spend more time than that removing belly pans and jacking/ramping the car.
Old 03-15-2003, 09:05 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
I prefer to use low ramps and do remove the belly pan. Takes about 2 min--for 4 bolts. I also use Fram and Castrol synthetic/natural oil blend. One of my cars has 200K and oil at time of change (no more than 3000) only has slight discoloration. No oil leaks.

There are of course multitude of ways to so it.