Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-05-2003, 03:34 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
97 tranny install into 94?

Does anyone know of any reason why a 97 svx transaxle won't bolt right in on a 94 svx?

Look at the pretty svx http://www.emerystudios.com/images/svxathome.jpg
Old 03-05-2003, 04:21 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Tranny

Should bolt right in fine, however the wiring will be different as will the TCU. I'm sure you'll also run into a problem with the OBD-II system that the 97s came with which the 94s did not. All of these problems are something that could be overcome with the right amount of knowledge/old fashion ingenuity.
Old 03-05-2003, 05:35 PM
Just some dude.

Re: Tranny

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
Should bolt right in fine, however the wiring will be different as will the TCU. I'm sure you'll also run into a problem with the OBD-II system that the 97s came with which the 94s did not. All of these problems are something that could be overcome with the right amount of knowledge/old fashion ingenuity.
Aren't the sensors and solenoids on the 97 transaxle the same as the ones on the 94? The TCU is under dash and while I'm sure it's different for the OBDII years I don't see any reason why the wiring in the transaxle itself should be different. Of course that doesn't mean it isn't. Does anyone know for sure?

Also I'm assuming the gearing is the same and therefore the differential gearing is the same on all years of the svx. Does anyone know that for sure? I have the factory service manuals but only have the supplements up to 94.
Old 03-05-2003, 05:52 PM
Just some dude.

I just checked on subaruparts.com and looked up the tcu, solenoid assembly and the entire control valve assembly, and the spedometer gear. They gave the same part #'s for the 97 and the 94. This leads me to believe that both the wiring and gearing are the same. Please, if anyone knows otherwise do let me know. Preferably before I get this 97 transaxle shipped to me
Old 03-17-2003, 12:46 PM
Just some dude.

To follow up. I put the 97 transmission in last week. Everything exterior on the trans was the same including the wiring harness. Bolted right up, plugged right in, and works great. Did stall tests and line pressure tests and it's like it just came out of the factory; everything tests out at the tip top of the specified range.
Old 03-17-2003, 12:52 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by longassname
To follow up. I put the 97 transmission in last week. Everything exterior on the trans was the same including the wiring harness. Bolted right up, plugged right in, and works great. Did stall tests and line pressure tests and it's like it just came out of the factory; everything tests out at the tip top of the specified range.
Great to hear! I love your car, i always looked for a black one but ive only seen one in town, and he had to drive to bring it here(rob ) anyways good luck and keep us posted on how shes running
phil
Old 03-17-2003, 01:00 PM
Just some dude.

Try finding one in Miami, Fl. I bought mine on ebay. I wanted at least a 94 so i had to shop a while but then this one came up and in a town where i had a friend who could go look at it for me. I wouldn't buy a car completely sight unseen but carfax is pretty good and since this car had factory paint it was a given it had never been wrecked. It turned out well. I pretty much went into it assuming the transmission would need replacing soon; why else would anyone sell this beauty?
Old 03-18-2003, 09:03 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by longassname
I put the 97 transmission in last week. Everything exterior on the trans was the same including the wiring harness. Bolted right up, plugged right in, and works great.
So if you can put a 97 tranny in a 94 (yours) and a 94 tranny in a 92 (mine) that would mean the trannies are all the same (externally anyway).
Old 03-18-2003, 09:08 PM
Just some dude.

yep