Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-26-2003, 01:09 PM

Trans wont stay in drive unless accelerating

For the last 50'000 miles my SVX has wanted to downshift to the next lower gear for no reason. always when cruising at speeds up to 80mph with light pressure on throttle or cruise set. when in drive it will drop into 3rd than right back to drive. If I have it in 3rd while driving slower it will jump to 2nd and than back to 3rd. when in 3rd I can press manual button and it will stay in 3rd. above 80mph in drive it doesn't act up and at higher speeds in third it doesn't act up. Some times it is much more active than others.

I remember reading that someone on this site had same problem and the tps was at fault.

what are the symptoms of a faulty tps?

Other than the above problem trans is fine with firm quick shifts normal fluid color and I change fluid every 10'000 miles when I do my oil changes.

Last edited by SVXPILOT; 02-27-2003 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-26-2003, 02:39 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Someone just posted a note no how to easily diagnose a bad tps and how to give one a simple tune-up.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:05 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
It was Trevor in New Zealand

Check on Trevor's posts with search, you will find it. Very useful info.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 03-06-2003, 04:21 PM

Did adjustment of the TPS help?

I ask because I replaced my TPS AND adjusted it (twice). Using Trevor's approach, I changed the value a bit just to see if it mattered (changed from the 0.491V it was at, to 0.505V at closed throttle - at least that's what my DVOM showed). My car has the same symptoms mentioned in the original post - but only in a weird way - here's the deal.

When cold (for Florida anyway) the transmission up shift is less positive than when warm while in "D". So, I usually start out my morning drive in "3". The shift behavior from 2-3 is definitely crisper this way - no idea why. Also, if I start out in "d", I sometimes feel like the 3-4 shift slips a tad - no flare or anything - it just doesn't "feel" right. I'm a little paranoid about the tranny, so not sure this is just a cold start thing or a mental misgiving on my part?

OK, so now when having driven maybe a mile or two I shift into "D" and all is well. However, sometimes I forget and leave it in "3". Then when the engine has reached full warm, the transmission will start the behavior - feels like it's trying to downshift to "2" under little or no throttle conditions. Quarter throttle or more it's OK. Best description of the conditions is when slowing down like a traffic light ahead has turned green and you're letting traffic get up to speed in front of you.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:46 PM

I haven't changed anything yet. when it starts acting up I shift to 3rd and lock it there with the manual button. It doesnt start acting up until after the engine and trans is warm. Some days it will stay in d just fine with no problems.