How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2002, 12:18 PM
$VX

Um... dude, you say she has 40k laying around? Tell you what: Get her a 92 SVX for about 4-6,000 dollars. Buy a new tranny, get that installed. Get a new paintjob, and get new leather seats from small car, and BAM, you've spent WELL under 40k for a car that will be reliable as hell for about 100k until the tranny blows up...

- Ca$H

PS: The point was, if you get her an SVX you could replace damn near all of it to BETTER than new condition for WAY less than 40,000 bucks.
Old 11-20-2002, 12:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
evo 8 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! coming to u kn december, i have been waiting years for this car,, it is a bad ass car, =>

road and track rated to run 13.2 in the 1/4 faster then the vettes, with a 4 cylinder 4 door.. sorry im really hyped abought this car coming out, and subaru relizing they willl have to come out with the sti version wrx,, the heat will be on boys and girls ..

FYI evo 8 is considered dsm also it has the same 4g63 power- plant used 89-99 eclipse//lasers//talons..

but the evo 8 is a revised 4g64 power plant with a titanuim 16g turbo....the 270 hp is verry verry underated,, ohh its 250 hp in the states they cut it back even more i beielve..

acording to all the 16g dsm they are rated 300-400 hp rang depending on boost and mods, with the same exact motor 4g63
extrememotorsports.com
forcedperformance.com
bsucher.com

all sells 16gs

Quote:
sorry guys got excitied here, !!! tee hee,, .. didnt mean to ramble on off topic =>

for your mom i think

Last edited by solarsvx; 11-20-2002 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-20-2002, 12:38 PM
Hater

according to Subaru inside sources on i-Club, the new STi WILL be more powerful than the EVO, no matter what it takes. i love horsepower wars!

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 11-20-2002, 12:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
LOL land shark .. im a fan of both,, and both are exciting AWD turbo cars, 4 door,, may the games begin ,, =>
Old 11-20-2002, 01:23 PM
alacrity024

while we're off-topic (and thanks for all the on-topic replies.. i've got some things to run by her now), I'd like to ask two questions:

1) wtf does "DSM" stand for???

and 2) was the eclipse ever sold outside the United States?

I'm about to make a pretty rash statement about "most" Americans and their concept of what makes a car good, but I'd like to know about the Eclipse's out-of-country sales (if any exist) before jumping into what will ultimately turn into quite a flame-war..

-Adam
Old 11-20-2002, 01:42 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:
Originally posted by alacrity024
while we're off-topic (and thanks for all the on-topic replies.. i've got some things to run by her now), I'd like to ask two questions:

1) wtf does "DSM" stand for???

and 2) was the eclipse ever sold outside the United States?

I'm about to make a pretty rash statement about "most" Americans and their concept of what makes a car good, but I'd like to know about the Eclipse's out-of-country sales (if any exist) before jumping into what will ultimately turn into quite a flame-war..

-Adam
I can answer the 1st one anyway...Diamond Star Motors. It was a joint venture between Mitsubishi and Chrysler to build and sell cars in the US. The Mitsubishi Eclipse and the Chrysler Laser/Eagle Talon were the children of this union.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 11-20-2002, 01:49 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:
Originally posted by solarsvx
...god is a bad ass car, =>

<scratches his head and ponders this one...> Then who's behind the wheel?

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 11-20-2002, 02:05 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Sporty AWD car under 40k

I can't believe no one even suggested the Legacy GT. Granted it gives up a little grunt but this is a middle aged woman we're talking about. I don't think she's gonna take it to the drag strip. Take her to a Jag, BMW and then Subaru dealer. I really like the new Jag X-type's system but its well a Euro Contour so it'll be a worse investment than other Jags. I'll bet ya 10 bucks she goes for the Subie over the other 2. Granted, it doesn't have the sporty look she desires but it'll kick but all year round in the NH mountains.

Oh yeah, other option, go for the G35 for what about $35 then buy a used SVX for "the winter". See which one sits in the summer.
Old 11-20-2002, 02:12 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Re: Sporty AWD car under 40k

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
Oh yeah, other option, go for the G35 for what about $35 then buy a used SVX for "the winter". See which one sits in the summer.
I couldn't agree with you more Ben

l
l
l
l
V

Old 11-20-2002, 02:29 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Re: Re: Sporty AWD car under 40k

Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??

I couldn't agree with you more Ben

l
l
l
l
V

How does that G35 drive? I really want to test drive one but its an hour plus drive to the nearest Infiniti dealer for me and one hasn't popped up at work yet. I'm a big fan of the design compared to the new Z. Its the best thing to hit the auto world in the last 5 years for under 40k in my opinion. Just if I could get my hands on one to test drive!
Old 11-20-2002, 02:54 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
It's nice

G35 Coupe is pretty sweet. Power is good. Through 1st, in comparison to the SXV, it was right where I expected it to be...alot faster than the SVX What really surprised me was that, upon the shift to 2nd, it kept pulling with just about the same grunt. I think that's where the car shines...2nd gear is very strong. It's nice and quiet, a bit snug though. The SVX has lots of room on the sides of the seat so you can spread out a little. The g35 coupe has no room there...the door is right by you with a very tiny handle/armrest. Lets see.....looks great, SVX seats are more comfy, but G35 might have better back support (laterally too). Anyway, it's great.
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 11-20-2002, 07:19 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink

Anyone see the 2004 VW W8 Four-motion Corrado (revived) supercharged Coupe?

You won't - I just dreamed it up. But I can dream can't I?

ZZZZZZ - Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 11-20-2002, 09:23 PM
alacrity024

So if DSM is a venture between Mitsubishi and Chrysler to sell cars in the US, and the Eclipse is a DSM vehicle along with the talon and assumedly the laser, then it would be safe to say that eclipse/talon/laser was not sold outside the united states?

Adam
Old 11-20-2002, 09:40 PM

Well, this question from the DSM FAQ at http://members.shaw.ca/costall/1000Q/ indicates they were at least sold in Canada...

Quote:
Q. What are the differences between U.S. spec cars and Canadian spec cars?

A. There are not many differences. Canadian cars never had the automatic seatbelts ("mouse belts") present in earlier USA DSMs. Also, U.S. cars lack the daylight running light (DRL) system of the Canadian cars. Canadian cars also have metric instrumentation, including km/hr (speedometer), km (odometer) and kg/m3 ('boost' gauge). Canadian cars also have a 90A alternator, as opposed to the U.S. spec 75A.
There are also DSM clubs in Brasil and New Zealand, but I don't know if they were sold there new or imported used.

I haven't been able to find any sales figures, but go a head and start the flame war

92 SVX - Sold
98 BMW M3 Sedan
89 Honda CRX Si w/B16 swap
91 Honda CRX Si
Old 11-21-2002, 04:46 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
I find it funny that at this time of year 90% of the car commercials on TV show the cars romping around in the snow.
Last night I saw on for a Pontiac Grand Am. It was up to its rocker panels in snow and the nut behind the wheel(excuse me; professional nut) was doing power slides.

Jaguar &BMW have also started advertising their AWD models.

The commercial that I don't like is the one from Audi showing a snow plow truck following an Audi quattro. I think that Audi should be reprimanded for showing a TV ad that will influence stupid people to do drive unsafely in the snow.

That's just one old man's opinion.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!