Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Engine Management

Old 08-09-2013, 07:23 PM

Re: The beginnings of a Megasquirt how-to guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZCory View Post
About an hour and a half ago.

asdf
Old 08-09-2013, 08:25 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

What are you going to do for coils/igniter?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 08-10-2013, 06:13 AM

hi? and I have talked about it and there is a guy on rs25 who's familiar with ms and the eg33. he seems to think keeping ignition dwell under 5ms will prevent a burnout from happening
Old 08-10-2013, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackWoodsBob View Post
hi? and I have talked about it and there is a guy on rs25 who's familiar with ms and the eg33. he seems to think keeping ignition dwell under 5ms will prevent a burnout from happening
This. Although I'm still trying to figure out how to get MS2 to output 6 coil signals. I don't want to use the wasted spark because I'm not sure that the stock ignitor can handle that much current without some sort of ground upgrade. There are lots of options out there though if I can't get it working.

Also, as I hear, the signal should be set to Inverted(High), correct? At less than 5ms, and around 2.3ms for dwell (or is it duration?)

Worst-case scenario: EDIS6

Last edited by BRZCory; 08-10-2013 at 06:23 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:48 AM

iirc only ms3 can run sequential spark for a 6banger. the ms2 can't. unless Im remembering incorrectly.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:13 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
This. Although I'm still trying to figure out how to get MS2 to output 6 coil signals. I don't want to use the wasted spark because I'm not sure that the stock ignitor can handle that much current without some sort of ground upgrade. There are lots of options out there though if I can't get it working.

Also, as I hear, the signal should be set to Inverted(High), correct? At less than 5ms, and around 2.3ms for dwell (or is it duration?)

Worst-case scenario: EDIS6
You should be able to batch fire our coils directly from the MS2 and not need to use the ignitor.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
You should be able to batch fire our coils directly from the MS2 and not need to use the ignitor.
Hmm... I'll look into this.

Also, I see you're in Clarksville. Do you know an idiot by the name of Ben who's got an RX7 now (also running megasquirt). He's been through a couple scoobies (STi that rolled, Leggy, Fozzie, a few bikes )
Old 08-12-2013, 09:59 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
No, you'll need an ignitor of some kind. You can put them in the case with the MS2, but you do need them. The stock EG33 coils are dumb coils, that do need igniters. I think there may be newer subies that you can use the coils from, that are smart coils, and will fit right where the stock coils go, though. Maybe STI/WRX, but I'm not sure what engines/years. But LS coils are cheap and smart, and can make as strong a spark as you'll ever possibly need.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 08-13-2013, 05:27 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
No, you'll need an ignitor of some kind. You can put them in the case with the MS2, but you do need them. The stock EG33 coils are dumb coils, that do need igniters. I think there may be newer subies that you can use the coils from, that are smart coils, and will fit right where the stock coils go, though. Maybe STI/WRX, but I'm not sure what engines/years. But LS coils are cheap and smart, and can make as strong a spark as you'll ever possibly need.
I believe you are wrong. The MS2 can control coil dwell times, which should make the dumb coils easy to wire in. I'll verify on the site later, but I'm pretty sure you can do this.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:28 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Hmm... I'll look into this.

Also, I see you're in Clarksville. Do you know an idiot by the name of Ben who's got an RX7 now (also running megasquirt). He's been through a couple scoobies (STi that rolled, Leggy, Fozzie, a few bikes )
I sure don't.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:46 AM

Registered SVX

Using the MS2 Extra code you can control multiple coils directly for wasted spark.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Using the MS2 Extra code you can control multiple coils directly for wasted spark.
But from an electronics side, there aren't any transistors inside the megasquirt case that can handle the current from the coils (at least none devoted to that cause, there are the tip transistors, but they're for other electronics).

The issue isn't a control signal issue, it's an energy capacity one. Try to pass the full grounding force of the coil's inductor through the megasquirt main control chip is a recipe for bad mojo.

Hence the use of transistors (ignitor) especially oustide of the control box (because they flow a lot of energy, they create heat).

What you *can* do, if you have control of multiple coils, is just use the stock ignitor, because that's exaclty what it was designed for: Taking a logic-level input, and using it to control a power-level transistor (or darlington pair).
Old 08-13-2013, 05:59 AM

Registered SVX

Take a look at the MS2 extra manual. You add the required components when you do it. Using a BIP373, it becomes possible. It looks like they changed it up a bit since I built mine. I could have swore they used 1 VB921 per ouput instead of 2 BIP373.

Last edited by dragoontwo; 08-13-2013 at 06:26 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Take a look at the MS2 extra manual. You add the required components when you do it. Using a BIP373, it becomes possible. It looks like they changed it up a bit since I built mine. I could have swore they used 1 VB921 per ouput instead of 2 BIP373.
Cory purchased a used MS2 that was pre-assembled so he may not have the option to add this in.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:48 AM

Registered SVX

Cory's right. The MS spark outputs are logic-level, not powerful enough to actually fire the coil.

You can add ignitor modules to the board, and then fire the coils from those. Dynomatt did just that with his (wasted spark).