Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Engine Management

Old 02-16-2013, 03:53 PM

Re: The beginnings of a Megasquirt how-to guide

Come to find out since I've been talking to them and dealing with my Hydra, Phil of Element Tuning on Nasioc can get the SVX Hydra also, and they do huge business with Hydra and Subaru. Phil has been answering a lot of my questions about setting up different functions on the Hydra. They have just finished getting the Hydra setup with the CAN bus to work as a fully functioning stand alone on the BRZ and they are finishing up getting the CAN functions setup for the 08+ STi. I'm contemplating, if I get the car running well enough, making the trip down to Element to have Phil fine tune the car and get it dead on for me.

I think both the Hydra and the MS3 are equally good options for us in the SVX and the choice depends on if you are able and willing to assemble the MS3.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:11 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

CAN support is the biggest difference between the two. The MS CAN support is kind of limited, although I'm not sure what it's limited to. I know it's not going to be able to do OBD-2 stuff anytime in the near future. It seems like it's mostly used as another data input, for example for an external EGT array box, for someone running EGT sensors on individual cylinders, or speed input from a GPS, etc. But it might have untapped potential as well.

Tireiron, you're getting it: more options is a good thing. Each option will have it's trade-offs, but the more options the better.

Tom, I really am interested in your input, since you have so much more experience than I do. Care to download tunerstudio, and my tune file and see what you think of the whole system?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 02-25-2013, 02:44 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
The megasquirt can do individual cylinder fuel and spark trim, launch control, and I'm sure you could make another switch-activated map and call it valet mode. Traction control has been done by at least a few people. And I'm pretty sure it has anti-lag, but I haven't looked too closely at the boost-related stuff yet. Johnybeas being the only one who I know to get a Hydra from is another reason I didn't go that route. Although I'm sure I could have gotten one from another source if I really wanted to.

Actually, another advantage to the MS in my eyes is the community-support aspect of it. The guys who write the code and design the boards actually watch the support forums themselves, and sometimes will, for example, write a custom firmware for someone whose engine setup is a little out there.
Thats pretty cool. While i was still a distributor i was able to reach out to tge writer for the hydra to solve some initial issues but someone on their own needs to rely on a good distributor for answers. Anywho i like your project keep at it

Tom
Old 03-25-2013, 01:04 PM

Registered SVX

Ok guys, I haven't been able to get much of anything done since my last post. My 97 has been having some serious transmission issues, and the alternator also just died, so I am relying on my 94 as a daily driver for the time being.

Attached is the OBD1-2 ECU adapter excel sheet (zipped) I worked out. Keep in mind that it's a work-in-progress and I have not been able to test it out yet. I found a few errors in the OBD1 ECU pinout, other than just what Tom had found previously. And there are a few things I just can't be sure about until I test it out.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SVX OBD1-2 ECU adapter.zip (9.4 KB, 372 views)
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 04-28-2013, 01:48 PM

I lovers you!
Old 04-28-2013, 09:50 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackWoodsBob View Post
I lovers you!
Glad someone's pleased with me.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:00 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
CAN support is the biggest difference between the two. The MS CAN support is kind of limited, although I'm not sure what it's limited to. I know it's not going to be able to do OBD-2 stuff anytime in the near future. It seems like it's mostly used as another data input, for example for an external EGT array box, for someone running EGT sensors on individual cylinders, or speed input from a GPS, etc. But it might have untapped potential as well.

Tireiron, you're getting it: more options is a good thing. Each option will have it's trade-offs, but the more options the better.

Tom, I really am interested in your input, since you have so much more experience than I do. Care to download tunerstudio, and my tune file and see what you think of the whole system?
Just saw this... pm me links to what you would like me to see ill take a peek

Tom
Old 05-02-2013, 09:33 AM

Registered SVX

Tunerstudio is here: http://tunerstudio.com/index.php/tuner-studio

And I posted a tune file a long time back: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...68&postcount=2

But I'll post a newer one later, when I get home to where my laptop is.

LMK if you have any trouble, and thanks for checking it out.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:02 PM
Maniac modifier

Maybe its that I have been away from this stuff too long or that I need to see it live on a vehicle... Either way this is a format that is totally alien to me.

I also feel that adjustments on the 3d tables are very limited and broad strokes rather than fine tuning... But I am used to a much larger table than whats in here. Have you downloaded the Hydra software and taken a look at the system op? I think you might like it a little more once you are used to it... Then again the same can be said for me with tunerstudio. Either way I am looking at this and trying to fit exactly whats here and I am struggling to see it

Sorry I cannot help anymore...

Tom
Old 05-02-2013, 07:07 PM
Maniac modifier

here.. quick screen shots of the two comparing the 3d fuel map tables

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tunerstudio.jpg (302.3 KB, 430 views)
File Type: jpg nemesis.jpg (314.3 KB, 419 views)
Old 05-02-2013, 10:48 PM

They refined the Hydra visuals a lot for 2.7, here's a screenshot from 2.7
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hydra 2.7 screenshot.JPG (433.0 KB, 403 views)
Old 05-03-2013, 05:56 PM
Maniac modifier

looks cool.. Curious about the file title... Is that from my old car?

Tom
Old 05-03-2013, 07:20 PM

HAHA yea, it was the only one I had on my desktop which I was on at the time of posting. All of my tunes are on my laptop right now (which reminds me I need to back these up onto my desktop). JohnnyB sent it to me when I bought the Hydra 2.7 as something to check over, and Bobby (sicksubie) sent me 3 of the initial ones he could find from you, for his motor. Soon I will hopefully be taking the car down to Element Tuning to have Phil do a solid tune on it and getting running better than stock. I've worked with as many of the tunes I could find and at least have the car movable around the driveway to get it place to place heh.

Phil at Element is THE name in Hydra and Subaru. He is just finishing up getting the Hydra 2.7 with CAN bus setup as a full stand alone on the BRZ completely replacing the OEM ECU and still allowing for CAN support, which means inspection stickers are possible in states that require to be plugged in (most states). Thankfully in MA anything over 15 years old no longer has to be connected or has emissions, so I am all set with the Hydra in my 96 and not having the OBD2 port working anymore.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:39 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireiron View Post
HAHA yea, it was the only one I had on my desktop which I was on at the time of posting. All of my tunes are on my laptop right now (which reminds me I need to back these up onto my desktop). JohnnyB sent it to me when I bought the Hydra 2.7 as something to check over, and Bobby (sicksubie) sent me 3 of the initial ones he could find from you, for his motor. Soon I will hopefully be taking the car down to Element Tuning to have Phil do a solid tune on it and getting running better than stock. I've worked with as many of the tunes I could find and at least have the car movable around the driveway to get it place to place heh.

Phil at Element is THE name in Hydra and Subaru. He is just finishing up getting the Hydra 2.7 with CAN bus setup as a full stand alone on the BRZ completely replacing the OEM ECU and still allowing for CAN support, which means inspection stickers are possible in states that require to be plugged in (most states). Thankfully in MA anything over 15 years old no longer has to be connected or has emissions, so I am all set with the Hydra in my 96 and not having the OBD2 port working anymore.

I am well aware of Phil's experience and he was working with me on some of the aspects of the initial SVX setups I was trying when I was still doing it. Great guy, very willing to share a lot of his advice and the #1 recommendation from me when someone in his area is looking for their tune. I am still waiting for SVXRide to get his ass down to him and get his car tuned properly.

Tom
Old 06-29-2013, 07:10 PM

so op. will the plug and play board work with a stock unmodified harness or is using that board a must? still contemplating standalone vs aem fic8....