Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2002, 09:31 PM
BrentSVX

Unhappy Need some help with CD player

When I bought my SVX the radio wasn't working so I bought a Pioneer CD player. Actually I found out why it wasn't working when I pulled the old radio out; the radio wasn't even hooked up! All that was connected was the antenna. The previous owner must of took out his aftermarket radio out and stuck the old stock radio back in. Anyway, I installed the new radio but it won't even turn on or light up. I think I connected all the right wires together.(Yes, I know the color of the wires will be different on the vechical and the radio). Also my clock hasn't worked since then. And the ignition key hole doesn't seem to light up either. I checked the fuse on the radio and under the dash but they seem alright. Maybe there is another fuse underneath the hood? I did snip a few wires but they where all after market wires from the previous radio(at least I think they were). Any ideas? Thanks
Old 09-18-2002, 01:28 PM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

Perhaps it's the legendary "fusible link". There have been some threads on the subject.
2001 Outback Sport
Old 09-18-2002, 03:03 PM
gcookaustin

I think if anything at all in the car will light up, then it's not the fusible link (since that's the main thing?) Not sure though.
Old 09-18-2002, 11:20 PM
BrentSVX

Doesn't look like its the fusible link... Any other ideas?
Old 09-18-2002, 11:26 PM
Boone

Re: Need some help with CD player

Quote:
Originally posted by BrentSVX
I did snip a few wires but they where all after market wires from the previous radio(at least I think they were).
Ahem...
Old 09-19-2002, 07:46 PM
BrentSVX

OK, I looked underneath the hood and found a "clock" fuse. Sure enough, it was melted. Haven't changed it yet but that will take care of one problem. I didn't have time to go check all the other fuses yet. Now if I can only get this radio working...
Old 09-19-2002, 08:04 PM
svxeno

Quote:
Originally posted by BrentSVX
OK, I looked underneath the hood and found a "clock" fuse. Sure enough, it was melted. Haven't changed it yet but that will take care of one problem. I didn't have time to go check all the other fuses yet. Now if I can only get this radio working...
Melted?!?...that's not good. Also, check my locker. There is a file in there that explains the stereo wiring scheme. Maybe that will help.

Good luck

Randy (Blown ok...melted baaaaad)
Old 09-19-2002, 08:17 PM
BrentSVX

I just meant the metal in the fuse was melted.
Old 09-20-2002, 09:34 PM
BrentSVX

I'm making progress. I fixed the clock and now have power to the radio. Only problem now is that there is no sound at all. I have all the wires on the radio connected. The power antenna works and I inserted a CD and it played but there was no sound. Any suggestions?
Old 09-20-2002, 09:45 PM
Green1995SVX

Did you check to make sure the previous owner didnt take the speakers along with the radio?

Mike
Old 09-20-2002, 09:54 PM
BrentSVX

No, I didn't check yet although I did hear some static noise coming from somewhere a few times when I was installing the radio. I'm assuming that was from one of the speakers. I will have to look into that.
Old 09-21-2002, 09:21 PM
BrentSVX

I checked both of the rear speakers. They are both are plugged in. They look like the OEM speakers.
Old 09-22-2002, 08:18 AM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

Sounds like it's time to double-check all your connections, both for quality and for correctness. Make sure there's nothing shorting out, and that your stereo wires are connected to the correct wires in the car.

If you've got a circuit tester, you can check all the wiring to make sure that the wires you're connecting to have continuity to the speakers in the car.

There's a possibility that whatever you did to blow that fuse also did something to the stereo. If you've got any spare speakers lying around, try hooking those to the stereo, just as a troubleshooting aid. That'll help you narrow it down to a speaker problem, wiring problem, or head unit problem.

Hope this helps.
2001 Outback Sport
Old 09-22-2002, 09:37 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
When I put in my stereo the first time it also played but had no sound. There are 2 wires in the diagram that are the same colors, but one is for speaker and the other was a power wire or something. I diconnected all but one speaker set to troubleshoot and narrowed it down to that.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 09-22-2002, 10:32 AM
BrentSVX

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
When I put in my stereo the first time it also played but had no sound. There are 2 wires in the diagram that are the same colors, but one is for speaker and the other was a power wire or something. I diconnected all but one speaker set to troubleshoot and narrowed it down to that.
Its alive! Alive! Yes, there is two wires that have the same color. There is two red with black stripe wires. I found out that the one with the spiraling black stripe is for the speaker. The other on has a straight black stripe all the way down. This must be a power wire of some sort. (this was the one I had spliced into the radio and that is why the radio had no sound so I spliced the other wire instead) The stereo sounds great!. Thanks, I owe you one.