Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 08-12-2011, 01:37 AM

New twin clutch

I have killed my fourth clutch in my car so I have decided to move to a stronger twin plate clutch from Ogura. It comes with a lighted fly wheel.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OGURA-Rac...item1e4f1a2486

Before everyone worries that their clutch might not last I have done everything possiable to kill mine, such as towing fork lift truck that were bogged, climbing sand dunes that were almost vertical which required the car to cross the top of the dune with the two front wheel about 4 foot above the ground. When we crossed the simpson desert the clutch got so hot it welded its self to the fly wheel and didn't release till it cooled down. Also the size tyre 235 R70 16 I run means they don't lose grip on tar so the clutch and transmission take the load.
Here is the clutch fresh out of the box and if it works as well as it looks then it will be brilliant.
Tony

Its beauty warms my heart.
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:22 AM

Registered SVX
Re: New twin clutch

NEW to a lot of this
What is DCCD tran?
Old 08-12-2011, 11:47 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
Yes, that thing looks like it means business.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 08-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm

Ow, my wallet hurts just looking at that!
Old 08-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

Yeah I am looking at a couple Tilton clutches for when my OEM STi one goes, but would be interested to hear how this one holds up... As far as $$ goes, gotta pay to play....
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 08-12-2011, 12:55 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
NEW to a lot of this
What is DCCD tran?
It is a transmission with a Driver Controlled Center Differential
Old 09-06-2011, 04:28 PM

Installed and not working, seems there is a issue. Have adjusted the clutch but can't get it to release. I got underneath and found that the first steel plate and clutch are releasing but the second is not backing off.
Net result is I will have to take the engine out. The reason I am taking the engine and not the gearbox is I want to look closly at how its bolted up, don't want to do a wheel aligment again and finally putting a 6 speed in off the ground when the car is on stands is a tough job on your own. Its far easier to us a motor lift.
Will let you know the issue.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:42 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner;683781Here is the clutch fresh out of the box and if it works as well as it looks then it will be brilliant.
Tony

[IMG
https://lh3.usercontent.com/-Yqz1FPAL4g4/TkTXwADu9jI/AAAAAAAAAKk/TcT1Pv8oZ2A/s1024/PICT0365.JPG[/IMG]
Shiney, Pretty!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 09-06-2011, 04:45 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
I have killed my fourth clutch in my car so I have decided to move to a stronger twin plate clutch from Ogura. It comes with a lighted fly wheel.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OGURA-Rac...item1e4f1a2486

Before everyone worries that their clutch might not last I have done everything possiable to kill mine, such as towing fork lift truck that were bogged, climbing sand dunes that were almost vertical which required the car to cross the top of the dune with the two front wheel about 4 foot above the ground. When we crossed the simpson desert the clutch got so hot it welded its self to the fly wheel and didn't release till it cooled down. Also the size tyre 235 R70 16 I run means they don't lose grip on tar so the clutch and transmission take the load.
Here is the clutch fresh out of the box and if it works as well as it looks then it will be brilliant.
Tony

Shiney, Pretty!!!!!

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 09-06-2011, 08:09 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Net result is I will have to take the engine out. The reason I am taking the engine and not the gearbox is I want to look closly at how its bolted up, don't want to do a wheel aligment again and finally putting a 6 speed in off the ground when the car is on stands is a tough job on your own. Its far easier to us a motor lift.
+1 to all of those things. The EG33 is a fantastically easy engine to pull and replace (and this is coming from a first-timer).
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 09-06-2011, 08:12 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
+1 to all of those things. The EG33 is a fantastically easy engine to pull and replace (and this is coming from a first-timer).
I would rather pull the transmission, but,
"can't we all just get along?"

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 09-06-2011, 09:03 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
You have a lift, don't you?

Old 09-06-2011, 10:56 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
I used to think this as well, but after pulling and putting back in a couple of engines this past week, I now find pulling an engine easier and less work. Even with access to a lift.
Either way, neither is too bad to do all things considered.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:17 PM

Okay engine out and problem found. One of the clutch plates was around the wrong way even thought they llook the same on both sides the centre is off set by 5mm. so Have fixed and engine just being pushed up to the gearbox now (after my coffe). will take about 4 - 5 hours all up.
Pulling gearbox is faster but this saves other issues such as wheel aligment and getting crushed by gearbox.

In short I F____ up and need to take the blame like a man.

Have a great day.
Tony
Old 09-06-2011, 11:25 PM

Registered SVX

Glad it was something simple Tony and interesting to know for anyone who possibly goes down this road. (doubtful, but ya never know )
Have a good day and let us know how that new clutch feels

(oh, and I should specify, dropping an auto trans wouldn't want to do over an engine pull, a standard gearbox on the other hand is a completely different story)

Why would the wheel alignment be off from pulling the transmission? I have pulled them and put them back in just unbolting the ball joints from the control arms and back together with no alignment issue. Or am I missing something there?

Last edited by 1986nate; 09-06-2011 at 11:30 PM.