How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-03-2002, 09:25 PM
gcookaustin

How much is too much oil?

Since my engine is leaking out the front, I figured I'd go and see yesterday what level it was at. I was kinda parked on a slight grade but wasn't really thinking it would matter, and it was just above the low mark. So I filled it up with a quart of oil. Now, after remembering I do retarded things with this car I looked at it again after it had been sitting for a while on LEVEL ground, and the oil is about 3/4 of an inch above the stick (right above the notch on the outside edge of the dipstick, above the max mark. I tried siphoning some of it out, and got maybe a 1/4 of a quart (a sixteenth? ) out but I think I got as much spit into the engine as I did oil out, and I have a bad taste in my mouth now. Should I drain the remaining 3/4 of a quart out tomorrow, or will it matter? I don't have ramps up here so I figured the siphoning thing would work, but it didn't work so well. I put MaxLife in it, so maybe if it pushes past the seals even more it'll hurry up and soften them up, so I won't have to change them after all? maybe not..
Old 09-04-2002, 06:23 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I do know really know if overfilling is a problem. There are a lot of baffles in the oil pan. Do youthink the crank throws will be in the oil? Can you tell by looking at the stick level? It may be a good idea to drain some out.

The life-max stuff, does that really work? I have been hesitant to use that type of product because what happens whenthe seals get soft? Don't they wear out faster? You know they get soft, grow, wear, grow some more, wear some more and then there a bigger space for the oil to get through.

I don't know for sure if that is what is going to happen I just always thought it might.

Then again if it works, it is a lot easier and less $ than changing seals.

Let us know how it works out.

John
Old 09-04-2002, 10:55 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I'm not sure how much you've put in equates to the physical level in the engine, but there is one potential hazard. Being a boxer engine the oil may be high enough to seep past the piston rings and into the top of the cylinders while at rest. This could result in a hydro-lock situation and serious engine damage could occur. There's a couple people around here that have first-hand experience with hydro- lock. The question now is: Is the oil level high enough to accomplish that? I'd drain the excess, if I were you.
Old 09-04-2002, 11:41 AM
gcookaustin

Alrighty, well I'm here at work now and I parked with half the car up a ramp so I can drain some back into my bottle. I've driven a few miles with it like it is and it seems fine, not leaking any either. So I guess we'll see Thanks