Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 01-17-2011, 07:13 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Re: The Ultimate SVX Transmission Swap Thread

The screen which gets clogged is actually in the transmission cooler in the older model radiators not the transmission itself. The latter model transmissions just have different transfer clutches and high clutch hubs. Subaru revised the high clutch hub several times. The very early SVX transmissions (the first part of the first year) also had a smaller reverse clutch.

Discounting a clogged cooler, it's actually the slipping of the high clutch that causes the heat rather than visa versa. I think it's important to note that this problem can now be eliminated by updating the TCU. There are individual line pressure control maps for each gear but in the stock programming Subaru used the same map for all 4 gears. It works fine for 1st and 2nd which use much, much larger clutch packs than 3rd and 4th but the line pressure is marginal to not good enough to hold the little high clutch under light cruise. This results in the transmission equivalent of driving with your brakes on, continuously wearing the high clutch and brake band and making huge amounts of heat. The stock programming results in about 65 lbs of line pressure at light cruise; I change it to close to the max pressure resulting in about 150 lbs of line pressure. This change is the fix for the transmission failures that plague all SVXs.

Quote:
Stock: Builds up too much heat which leads to failure of the high clutch packs. A properly rebuilt stock trans with external filter and cooler should last as long as any 4.44 (or longer). 1995+ SVX transmissions are less prone to failure as long as they have the cooler and external filter. They don't have the internal screen that the 1992-1994ish have.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:17 PM

Registered SVX

Generic trans swap question:

I've finally tracked down a local and reasonably priced 4.44 setup. My question however is, what else will I need in advance of swapping this out? My goal is to have every part necessary on hand before I attempt to tackle this. Barring any unforseen circumstances that is.

For instance, since the exhaust needs to come off, I assume I'll need new exhaust gaskets. Is that an accurate assumption? Which ones should I have on hand? What other sundry little tidbits should I acquire beforehand?
Old 03-23-2011, 12:27 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricter View Post
Generic trans swap question:

I've finally tracked down a local and reasonably priced 4.44 setup. My question however is, what else will I need in advance of swapping this out? My goal is to have every part necessary on hand before I attempt to tackle this. Barring any unforseen circumstances that is.

For instance, since the exhaust needs to come off, I assume I'll need new exhaust gaskets. Is that an accurate assumption? Which ones should I have on hand? What other sundry little tidbits should I acquire beforehand?
You have a 4.44 rear diff too right? I would order a rear main seal, just in case yours is leaking. Exhaust gaskets would be a good idea to get beforehand. Also make sure to get ATF and front and rear diff fluid too. Mobil1 synthetic ATF seems pretty well liked. If you're trying to get the car back on the road as quick as possible by doing everything possible beforehand, you're doing the right thing. Just remember that you can't predict everything and things go wrong sometimes, so have a back up plan in case it takes longer than expected.

Are you planning on pulling the motor/trans from the top, or dropping the trans? If you need to do some serious engine maintenance (valve cover gaskets for example) it might be a good idea to go ahead and pull the engine, since it's not that difficult.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 03-23-2011, 12:35 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
You have a 4.44 rear diff too right? I would order a rear main seal, just in case yours is leaking. Exhaust gaskets would be a good idea to get beforehand. Also make sure to get ATF and front and rear diff fluid too. Mobil1 synthetic ATF seems pretty well liked. If you're trying to get the car back on the road as quick as possible by doing everything possible beforehand, you're doing the right thing. Just remember that you can't predict everything and things go wrong sometimes, so have a back up plan in case it takes longer than expected.

Are you planning on pulling the motor/trans from the top, or dropping the trans? If you need to do some serious engine maintenance (valve cover gaskets for example) it might be a good idea to go ahead and pull the engine, since it's not that difficult.
Yes, I have the matching rear diff, and I'l be accessing from the bottom. Most the major engine maintenance was completed prior to breaking my front diff.
Fluids are a given.
What I'm looking for is a comprehensive list of the small non-intuitive things that have to be replaced. I obviously can't plan for every bolt or bracket that I might break, but things like the exhaust gaskets came to mind immediately.

So far:
Exhaust gaskets.
- Do I just need the exhaust manifold ones, or will I need ones for the flanges further down the line too?

Rear main seal
- I'll check my records first just to verify this wasn't done when I had the engine out recently.

What else?
Old 03-23-2011, 02:06 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX

Trans mount?

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:06 PM
Just some dude.

You'll want to put an ECUtune TCU for a 4.44 in it.

http://www.ecutune.com/tcu.htm
Old 03-23-2011, 02:28 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post

Are there differences depending on which ratio transmission you're using?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 03-23-2011, 02:45 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:

I'm assuming this isn't a requirement for the swap, and is instead a nice-to-have performace upgrade to go along with it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm simply looking for a comprehensive list of things that are needed to go along with the swap.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:48 PM
Just some dude.

It will make your awd work correctly. It will also prevent the immediate high clutch and brake band wear that would start as soon as you put that transmisison in an SVX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricter View Post
I'm assuming this isn't a requirement for the swap, and is instead a nice-to-have performace upgrade to go along with it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm simply looking for a comprehensive list of things that are needed to go along with the swap.

Last edited by longassname; 03-23-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:20 PM
Just some dude.

It actually won't fix the speedometer. It will just fix the calculations based on speed sensor 1 input in the tcu software.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:11 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
It actually won't fix the speedometer. It will just fix the calculations based on speed sensor 1 input in the tcu software.
Hi,
Compared to the stock transmission, my daughters 92 with 4.44 trans. speedometer is off by about 6% on the high side, also has rather abrupt part throttle 1 st to 2nd shift with mushy 2-3rd shift. Will the 4.44 TCU correct this condition?
1997 Ebony #308 113k "The Black Diva"SOLD
1992 Black over Liquid Silver 152k SOLD
1992 Ebony 251k 444 SOLD
1999 Silver SLK230 134k SOLD
1997 Green Outback 137k SOLD
2013 Honda Accord I4 SOLD
2015 Subaru Crosstrek 30k
2018 Tesla M3 30k
Old 03-24-2011, 02:31 PM
Just some dude.

It won't effect the speedometer at all. I'm not sure if it will effect your shifts or not. The only change between the 4.44 version of the tcu chip and the regular tcu chip is to correct the vehicle speed sensor 1 reading. The foremost effect of which is to make the awd work optimally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by processengr View Post
Hi,
Compared to the stock transmission, my daughters 92 with 4.44 trans. speedometer is off by about 6% on the high side, also has rather abrupt part throttle 1 st to 2nd shift with mushy 2-3rd shift. Will the 4.44 TCU correct this condition?
Old 03-24-2011, 04:52 PM

I think these swaps are for 4-eat ACT-4 but what swaps are possible if you have 4eat VTD ?
Old 04-17-2011, 01:14 AM
Alleged User

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_ View Post
I think these swaps are for 4-eat ACT-4 but what swaps are possible if you have 4eat VTD ?
That I don't know. As far as I know Nevin is the only one to swap a VTD trans into a USDM SVX, can anyone confirm that?

1997 SVX LSi Bordeaux Pearl
1995 SVX L AWD Polo Green - 277k miles
1986 Pontiac Fiero 3.4L Twin Dual Cam V6
Old 04-17-2011, 03:16 PM

Registered SVX

He already has a VTD svx.

You can do any of the manual swaps into a VTD SVX, but the USDM automatics are a no-go. You would want to put another VTD trans in it.