SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2010, 03:08 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX
Re: Stereo power issue

Ok finally got the car back and got the alternator/battery checked which turned out ok. That's one thing down, Checked the gound behing the intake manifold and it was disconnected. I reconnected it and drove around the block and it still shut off. The rotted looking ground infront of the battery tested ok for ground still so it's not that. Gonna have to sift threw my schematics for common grounds

EDIT: just checked the book and the radio has it's own ground and the antenna has its own as well. Just for laughs I removed fuse#22 for the antenna assuming since the radio and it get power from the same source it may have a short in it. Drove about 5 ft and it still reset. It may well be the deck now, also I don't think this is related but my sub cuts in and out, put a test light on the positive wire to the sub and it showed solid blue for ground and blinks red for power when the sub hits. I think I may have shorted it.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress

Last edited by redlightningsvx; 05-19-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:15 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Hi Seth,
How did you test the ground from battery to body ? I ask because if was with ohmmeter "statically" Then you may still have a problem, in that the resistance could change "dynamically" or "under load".
It is easier for the DIY mechanic to add a second ground known/assumed to be good (clean metal, virgin connections) to test than it will be to measure ground resistance under load...
1997 Ebony #308 113k "The Black Diva"SOLD
1992 Black over Liquid Silver 152k SOLD
1992 Ebony 251k 444 SOLD
1999 Silver SLK230 134k SOLD
1997 Green Outback 137k SOLD
2013 Honda Accord I4 SOLD
2015 Subaru Crosstrek 30k
2018 Tesla M3 30k
Old 05-19-2010, 06:03 PM

Registered SVX

I tested it with a volt meter.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 05-19-2010, 06:25 PM

Registered SVX

I'm going to wire up an old deck tomorrow and see if the symptoms stay or go away. By the looks of things my newish cd player is crappin out.
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 05-19-2010, 07:43 PM

Registered SVX

My deck died durring install. Worked when I pulled it from my RS.
Installed it in SVX, it would light up, but no power.
Spent hours tracing things thinking the ACC Lead was fried.
Bought new cheap deck, installed it.
5mins later it was working..
Turned out to be internal to the deck.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:29 PM

Registered SVX

Just wired up a new/old deck to just the red,yellow,black wires to just get it to turn on. Drove around the block and it didn't shut off so it looks like i'm getting a new deck and probably sub very soon.
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 05-20-2010, 12:51 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

What kind of deck are you going to get? Let us know what you get and how well it fits.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 05-20-2010, 02:03 PM

Registered SVX

Probably going to get the same deck again as it has all the features I like- low,mid,high,sub out volume, aux volume.
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 05-21-2010, 07:19 PM

Registered SVX

Update: The alternator that tested good about a day ago craped out today on me in the middle of the highway. I got a new one coming Sunday morning so the deck still maybe good. I'll post results when it's installed.
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 05-21-2010, 07:58 PM

Registered SVX

Your really having a crappy week aren't you.

Radio, tints, alternator .. when it rains it pours doesn't it.

Feel for you man.

Hey don't know if you saw these, but may be an option:
High output SVX alternator:
http://www.maniacelectricmotors.com/hiou160ampal6.html

I don't own one, got the link from this site though.

When mine dies I am buying one.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:08 PM

Registered SVX

This is the only car I drive so I got one at advance. About $165 w/o core which sucks but i'll have it sunday by 10am. Maniac one is $80w/o core but having it shipped in a day or so would only be about $20 less than the one I got ordered.

I new something was wrong when I started to drive to Altoona to pick up a new coolant temp sensor the brake light,ABS,battery, stop lamp were lit solid the whole way down and on the way back they started to flicker while hitting the brakes, clock and cluster needles jumping around and the stereo shut off while driving about 15 times back to back before I shut it off and had it rollbacked to my buddies. Also to top it off I have to replace the radiator.
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress

Last edited by redlightningsvx; 05-21-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:15 AM

Wow you got alot of little things adding up there don't you. Still a great looking car. Hopefully the Alt. will fix your stereo issue. Are you doing the coolant temp sensor due to starting issues? Surprised you drove to get one rather than order it direct to your door. What are you planning for the Rad? I know PWR is kinda high but likely the last one you would ever need. Plus it would look nice in your engine compartment
Old 05-22-2010, 08:56 AM

Registered SVX

I'm doing the coolant temp sender because I've had a random temp gauge reading and I just got a cheap rad for now as things are adding up this week and I need one quick before I go on vacation. I ordered one at my old job because I still get Subaru discounts
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 05-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningsvx View Post

I new something was wrong when I started to drive to Altoona to pick up a new coolant temp sensor the brake light,ABS,battery, stop lamp were lit solid the whole way down and on the way back they started to flicker while hitting the brakes, clock and cluster needles jumping around and the stereo shut off while driving about 15 times back to back before I shut it off and had it rollbacked to my buddies. Also to top it off I have to replace the radiator.
Seth, this was a sign of the voltage regulator loosing control of the alternator voltage, so as you start to drive it, the voltage rose above 16 volts and the decks "over voltage circuit' shut it down.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:37 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
Seth, this was a sign of the voltage regulator loosing control of the alternator voltage, so as you start to drive it, the voltage rose above 16 volts and the decks "over voltage circuit' shut it down.

Harvey.
Im going to have to agree with this being a good suspect.... I wouldnt toss your head unit just yet.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.