Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-07-2010, 05:06 AM

Unhappy 5 speed swap dead, need help!!!

Ok here is the deal. I used a 5 speed transmission out of a 1997 impreza 2.2L for my 5 speed swap with a cable clutch. Tranny has locked up and I now need to replace it. I've been told that all 5 speeds in these subarus have the same strength in gears and that the only difference is that the 1 and 2 gear sets have a different gear ratio in order to handle the difference in torque for the turbo'd cars and 2.5L cars. Is this true? If not what is the difference? What transmission is a direct replacement that I can use with out having to re-fabricate every thing again as I do not want to do that. I wouldn't mind just rebuilding the thing and putting the different gearset in it if this is the case. If not were can I go to get the parts to rebuild this transmission to handle the torque of this 3.3L. If it is easier just to put another transmission in than that is what I would rather do. All in all I don't want to have to do all the work again in order to replace this and I don't want that weak transmission in my car any more. What year and make cars are a direct swap for this transmission for my setup that will handle this power if there is one. If not than were can I get the parts to build this model to handle the torque of my car as I am at about 215-220tq estimated in my car at the moment. I could really use the help as I need my car back because i have to drive 60 miles a day to work and back. So to sum it up, are there any direct replacements for this year and model transmission that I have used that will handle my power and also where can I get the parts to just rebuild this model to handle the power of this motor if I decide just to rebuild it? Some one please help I new the thing wouldn't last very long but I didn't think it would be dead with in a week.

Last edited by Brandon770; 05-07-2010 at 05:10 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:22 AM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
Re: 5 speed swap dead, need help!!!

If you stay with the cable clutch I think your options are limited.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:20 AM
just trying to fix it!

Registered SVX

everyone is doing the WRX swaps. i'm sure the crossmember will have to be redone, as well as the clutch setup since the WRX uses a different style pressure plate and a hydraulic clutch. and that 97impreza (4.11 ratio) has a different gear ratio than the 02 wrx (3.9 ratio) so if you swap to the wrx you'll have to change
1. clutch setup/pedal box setup
2. cross member to wrx mounts
3. shift linkage probly
4. rear diff gear ratio.

here's some stuff i found
90-94 Legacy 5spd: 4.111FD
95-99 Legacy 2.2L; excluding 2.5L: 3.900
96-99 Legacy 2.5GT/Outback 2.5L: 4.111
93-95 Impreza 1.8L: 4.111FD
96-01 Impreza 2.2L: 3.900
98-01 Impreza 2.5L: 4.111
02-03 Impreza 2.5RS: 4.111
04+ Impreza 2.5RS SPORT: 4.111
02+ Impreza 2.5TS/OBS: 3.900
04+ Impreza 2.5RS(non-sport): 3.900

Aside from the Fit-modifications, there are some that do not require you to swap rear Diff ratios..
hope this helps.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

The WRX 5-speed has the same housing as any of the Subie 5-speed, so you cross member will work for any of them...might have to swap the mount depending on the year.

To use a turbo'd cars tranny, you will have to install a hydraulic pedal set-up.
But any Non-Turboed Subie tranny (even the hydraulic ones) can be used as a cable tranny, by switching the clutch forks.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 05-07-2010, 11:39 AM
just trying to fix it!

Registered SVX

that's some good info! i never knew you can use a different clutch fork... hmm then again i've never thought to even try learn somethin new every day!
Old 05-07-2010, 03:00 PM

Ok so than as I take it I can just use any wrx non turbo tranny 5 speed change out the clutch fork and mount. Can I use the clutch, pressure plate, driveline And shifter linkage off of my setup? I just don't want to have to buy all those again as I already have 600$ in them alone. Any one know where I can just buy the internals for that case already in my car that will hold up to the power my car is producing? What internals will I have to replace besides the ones that are already ruined to hold up to this motor under rough driveing? If I just go with a wrx tranny what year tranny would verge best for this change?

Last edited by Brandon770; 05-07-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:59 PM

I think you need a cable type gearbox to use your clutch as the hydraulic ones are different, theyre right about the gears being almost the same between the turbo and non turbo boxes the second gear is slightly wider in the tooth on the turbo just use one the same as you had just dont dump the clutch in first or second

cam
Old 05-08-2010, 04:12 AM
Mr Soob

Do consider a 6 speed if you think you have the stomach for a re-fab job.

I've driven both, and damn if the 6-speed isn't the most mad thing when you first get it rolling...

After you get the hang of the heavy(er) clutch, it's just a joy to drive provided you don't spend time in peak hour standstills. Mind you, losing a third of your final drive makes things interesting.
'93 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (55,000km, 1 previous owner) Not For Sale
'92 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (144,000km, 2 previous owners) Not For Sale
Wife, Red Hot when riled > Treated like a princess. Minister For Finance, Domestic Affairs and Diplomatic Relations. Definitely Not For Sale
My Wanted List: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...178#post632178
Old 05-08-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon770 View Post
Ok so than as I take it I can just use any wrx non turbo tranny 5 speed change out the clutch fork and mount. Can I use the clutch, pressure plate, driveline And shifter linkage off of my setup? I just don't want to have to buy all those again as I already have 600$ in them alone. Any one know where I can just buy the internals for that case already in my car that will hold up to the power my car is producing? What internals will I have to replace besides the ones that are already ruined to hold up to this motor under rough driveing? If I just go with a wrx tranny what year tranny would verge best for this change?
You can NOT use a WRX tranny with a cable, but you CAN use a Outback/ Legacy/Forester hydraulic tranny by swapping out the clutch fork (and moving the pivot bolt) all TURBO'd Subarus use a different type hydraulic clutch set-up which CAN NOT be swapped to a cable, but most newer NON-Turbo Subarus use a Hydrulic clutch that CAN be swapped to a cable (Clear as mud yet)?

Either way the shifter linkage, and crossmember and driveshaft will work on ANY Subaru 5-speed, but if you use a Turbo'd Subaru Tranny,(such as a WRX or Turbo Legacy) you will need to re-do the pedals
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 05-09-2010, 02:15 AM

Ok. So than this transmission will work if I change my clutch forks over to it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-06...item4cec389171

I have a 3:90 gear ratio in my car now. Sorry if I sound stupid. Every one keeps telling me something different every were else and I just need to fix this.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:20 PM

I believe that should have a 3.90 in it so it should work fine for you, but check the numbers on the tranny before you put it in, or if you can get the vin number from that Impreza, the dealer can verify what rear diff it needs.

but yes, you can use your clutch, and just swap in the cable clutch fork, and move the pivot bolt.
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 05-09-2010, 06:29 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

I like 3.90 gears...

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 05-11-2010, 01:03 AM

Sorry to be a neucence but how do you change the pivot point on the clutch forks and what do I look for on the tranny numberto know that it is a 3:90 gear ratio. Thanks guys.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon770 View Post
Sorry to be a neucence but how do you change the pivot point on the clutch forks and what do I look for on the tranny numberto know that it is a 3:90 gear ratio. Thanks guys.
There is a list posted on here with tranny numbers, and their corresponding gear ratios...but it is best if you get the VIN # from the donor car and have a dealer check the rear diff ratio for you.

The Pivot bolt just screws into the front of the transmission (inside the bell housing, just above the splined clutch shaft, there are 2 locations for it (threaded holes) unscrew it from one, and screw it into the other, then mount the cable clutch fork onto it....it'll be obvious once you're looking at it
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 05-11-2010, 11:56 AM

Thank you very much for the help. Before I buy any thing I will be making sure it is a 3:90 gear ratio from the dealer as I do not want to have to replace any thing else. Thank you all for the help. hopefully I will my car running again with in the next three weeks. Gotta wait for pay day after this coming one lol.