Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-12-2002, 05:52 PM
Pearlywhites1992

strut clunking

Hi everybody!
It's been awhile since i checked in....I guess everything has been great with my LS-L. However just recently I purchased new struts and rotors from 1stsubaruparts.com, and after installation I have the dreaded "clunk". I know it's not the brakes, or stabilizer bar; and my mechanic guesses the strut mounts are no good. There is so much give in the rubber that we think the strut is hitting the body, causing the clunk. I thought maybe i got the "older" style mounts since they were updated, but Scott assured me they haven't even been around in years! Maybe the rubber is defective! So, I get to do the strut thing all over again! I'll let you' all know if this is it or not! Sorry I missed Indy
Tim
Old 08-12-2002, 06:49 PM
Green1995SVX

Mine does the same thing. I have no idea what it could be. I would be interested in hearing the outcome of this.

-Mike
Old 08-15-2002, 04:01 PM

Registered SVX
Try wiggling the tie rod ends as they come out of the rack and pinion. That is what I finally figured out is the source of my "strut mount" clunk.
Old 08-15-2002, 04:58 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Checking back.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hangtownsvx
Try wiggling the tie rod ends as they come out of the rack and pinion. That is what I finally figured out is the source of my "strut mount" clunk.
Hi Ken, what was the outcome of the power steer delay?. Was it resolved.
Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 08-16-2002, 06:41 AM

I had a similar experience with a Nissan Stanza 4wd that I had. I replaced the rear struts (@ $300/strut! since no one made an aftermarket) and I had this clunking sound. Turns out I had assembled the metal caps on top of the strut incorrectly. It might be worth consideration.
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 08-19-2002, 11:44 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Re: strut clunking

Quote:
Originally posted by Pearlywhites1992
Hi everybody!
It's been awhile since i checked in....I guess everything has been great with my LS-L. However just recently I purchased new struts and rotors from 1stsubaruparts.com, and after installation I have the dreaded "clunk". I know it's not the brakes, or stabilizer bar; and my mechanic guesses the strut mounts are no good. There is so much give in the rubber that we think the strut is hitting the body, causing the clunk. I thought maybe i got the "older" style mounts since they were updated, but Scott assured me they haven't even been around in years! Maybe the rubber is defective! So, I get to do the strut thing all over again! I'll let you' all know if this is it or not! Sorry I missed Indy
Tim
You may want to disconnect both sides of the sway bar and see if it goes away. Just undo the link end.