How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-10-2008, 06:39 AM
What do you mean wrong SVX?

Jersey Tints

I dunno, what do you guys think? Do people really get pulled over that often for tints?
Old 10-10-2008, 07:50 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Jersey Tints

I used to have my 94 ebony tinted w/ 35%... I never got hassled. I also had my old truck tinter w/ 5% and got hassled all the time... I believe as long as it is not too dark, its not that big a deal

Tom
Old 10-10-2008, 06:23 PM

<<I dunno, what do you guys think? Do people really get pulled over that often for tints? >>

just dont do the fronts and your good
Old 10-12-2008, 08:45 PM

Anything 20% and down you're asking for trouble. I have 35% and still got pulled over...... granted, he only hassled me because he didn't have time to clock me when he pulled into the service entrance and I was driving WAAAAYYYYY too fast...... So I got that and a warning for an "overly obtrusive plate bracket" ... yeah BS I know, but he certainly needed an excuse to humiliate me..... Another good thing to check is what a second offense will cost you. I fought mine and got out of it ($174) but had I not, and got another since (that was the only time in 4 years tinted) a second offense in my state is $900 ..... going lower the hassle increases, I had a buddy that had 5% in his prelude and the state trooper made him peel/scrape it off on the spot.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:52 AM
What do you mean wrong SVX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iizbeastie View Post
I had a buddy that had 5% in his prelude and the state trooper made him peel/scrape it off on the spot.
Holy crap, you gotta be kidding me.

I'd rather do it all around than just the rears, I think it'd look ridiculous otherwise.

20% sounds nice. Would keep the sun out of the corner of my eyes on the lovely morning commutes I take to work. I dunno. Do we have pics of black SVXs with tints?
Old 10-13-2008, 08:23 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar View Post
Holy crap, you gotta be kidding me.

I'd rather do it all around than just the rears, I think it'd look ridiculous otherwise.

20% sounds nice. Would keep the sun out of the corner of my eyes on the lovely morning commutes I take to work. I dunno. Do we have pics of black SVXs with tints?
Yeah it takes away from the window uniqueness because you can't tell if its too dark where the window ends.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 10-13-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
Yeah it takes away from the window uniqueness because you can't tell if its too dark where the window ends.
Crack the window and give it a stripe it would be looking out the slot windows on a tank.... of course if you want that effect you need camo paint on your face too
Old 10-14-2008, 04:46 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I have been thinking about doing the window tint on the fixed glass front and rear. That would really help with the sun. The only problem I have is with the part of the window I look thru to see the outside rear view mirrors. So I was thinking about stopping the tint a few inches from the bottom on the front glass.

Then of course there is that question? Would I get pulled over? Would I get a ticket for the tinting? Well the movable window is not tinted and can be seen thru. That should be enough. Does anybody know what the NJ law says about tint?

I was also considering just doing the movable glass. I think that would look better. It would also leave the fixed glass free. It would also accent the movable windows and split window design. The fix glass would be open and that should help avoid tickets.

I also know that if I got pulled over I would have the window open before the officer got to my car and my hands would be on the wheel in plain sight. Oh yeah engine off and enterior lights on at night. Well you know the officers carry guns!
Old 10-14-2008, 07:27 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

NJ Law dictates that absolutely no tint is allowed on windows forward of the the front seats. This means driver and passenger doors and windshield.n Not even a little bit unless you have a prescription for it (sensitive to sunlight)

Tom
Old 10-14-2008, 07:52 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by svx_commuter View Post
I have been thinking about doing the window tint on the fixed glass front and rear. That would really help with the sun. The only problem I have is with the part of the window I look thru to see the outside rear view mirrors. So I was thinking about stopping the tint a few inches from the bottom on the front glass.

Then of course there is that question? Would I get pulled over? Would I get a ticket for the tinting? Well the movable window is not tinted and can be seen thru. That should be enough. Does anybody know what the NJ law says about tint?

I was also considering just doing the movable glass. I think that would look better. It would also leave the fixed glass free. It would also accent the movable windows and split window design. The fix glass would be open and that should help avoid tickets.

I also know that if I got pulled over I would have the window open before the officer got to my car and my hands would be on the wheel in plain sight. Oh yeah engine off and enterior lights on at night. Well you know the officers carry guns!
I thought about doing just the fixed glass in front, but then after doing a few photoshop mockups I realized it would looked really odd and mismatched. Then I just decided against it, because I have a hard time seeing out of the back window at night as it is.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 10-14-2008, 01:18 PM

stolen online, but accurate.

HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN NEW JERSEY?
Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In New Jersey, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.
• Windshield No tint is allowed on the windshield.
• Front Side Windows No tint can be applied legally to this window.
• Back Side Windows Any darkness can be used.
• Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN NEW JERSEY?
Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.

• Front Side Windows No metallic or mirrored appearance.
• Back Side Windows No metallic or mirrored appearance.

OTHER NEW JERSEY RULES AND REGULATIONS
• Restricted Colors No colors of tint are explicitly banned.
• Side Mirrors Dual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted.
• Certificate Requirements Manufacturers of film do NOT need to certify the film they sell in the state.
• Sticker Requirements No sticker to identify legal tinting is required.
• Medical Exemption State allows medical exemptions for special tint. For more details about the specific terms of the exemption, consult your state law.