How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-26-2008, 10:58 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Have had both a jumped belt and a timing sensor failure. Jumped belt will still run, just sluggish, low power, runs out of steam about 5000-5500 rpm. Did two track days with the jumped belt, before YT figured out what was wrong. Replaced both my pre-Cats before the diagnosis was made. Got passed by everyone, but no permanent damage.

Bad cam sensor is much worse. Probably can't keep it running at all, even at idle. I tried to keep mine going with generous use of the accelerator and set the elastomeric Cat hangers on fire. Needless to say, the main Cat was toasted and starting spitting pieces of matrix out the exhaust tips shortly thereafter.

So, the difference is that with a skipped belt, depending upon how many teeth, it will still run, just poorly. With a dead cam sensor, you won't be able to get to the end of the block.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 03-26-2008, 02:44 PM

I did check the codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77 View Post
Definitely sounds like a cam position sensor, but I don't see where you have ever checked for trouble codes. It should show up. A bad sensor is definitely indicative of your problems--easy start but after running no power and finally dies---and also the difference in exhaust temps on one side--there is a cam sensor for each side of course.

Check the codes---check the codes--check the codes--if you haven't already.

Lee
The 37 was the only code I got. It is at the dealer since monday and they couldn't wind out what the problem is. Now they say it is the 02 sensor on the right side. They said both my o2's are within specks, but that one one the right is causing the trouble. It seems like a major problem for an o2 sensor that is within specks??????????? I replaced the one on the left (drivers side) when I got the code 37.

After discussing it with them they think that would be a good place to start!
$300 to start???
not in my world. They need to work out what the problem really is and just do that.
They said they took off the cats and they "looked great inside. I know nothing about those contraptions, and maybe looks is how they are tested???
Old 03-26-2008, 02:47 PM

If I cut out the cat on the hot side...

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Starts OK implies timing is good.

Runs a mile and then gets hot, maybe my blocked cat theory is the one to look at next.

[A cheap way to check would be to cut out the one on the hot side, weld in a piece of pipe the correct diameter, and drive it. If it stays going well, then you have identified your problem. Buy a replacement cat for that side.]

Joe
will it damage the rest of the exhaust system to put a pipe in and run it?
Do you know if a flexable pipe that could be clamped in might be available. No welding stuff here?
Thanks,
Keith

Last edited by kwren; 03-26-2008 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
will it damage the rest of the exhaust system to put a pipe in and run it?
Do you know if a flexable pipe that could be clamped in might be available. No welding stuff here?
Thanks,
Keith
No, it would do no harm Keith. It might be a little louder or a different sound, but no harm would happen to remove the cat.

Yes, if you can clamp on a flexible pipe, or even hacksaw some 3" lines each end of a non-flexible slightly larger pipe, and clamp that on, it would work OK.

However, you will eventually be welding [or brazing] the cat into place if you replace it.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 03-28-2008, 07:59 AM
SVX- My daily driving Corvette

Send a message via AIM to CorSVXette
Classic SVX
anybody know the part# for the cam position sensor? I was looking on subaruparts.com. Is it called something else?
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 03-28-2008, 08:27 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Paul

On 1st Subaru parts it is called the camshaft position sensor. You have to drill down their menu to find it, I found it here:
<<
Mechanical Catalog - 1992 - Subaru - Svx
Electrical, Powertrain control, Camshaft position sensor, Camshaft position sensor, svx
>>
for $159.

I could not find it in Subaruparts.com. The WSM calls it the Cam Angle Sensor.

I hope this is a help.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 03-28-2008, 08:33 AM
SVX- My daily driving Corvette

Send a message via AIM to CorSVXette
Classic SVX
Thanks Joe. I should have tried a different web site.
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander