How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2007, 10:09 AM

Transfer plate help.

Hi, I'm replacing the Duty solenoid C on my '92 SVX and read somewhere on this forum that I should replace the transfer clutch plate too while I'm in there. So I order the 6 clutch plates (31588AA060) but was informed that they are no longer available and need to use a different part number based on the thickness of the front pressure plate. Since I wasn't planning on taking it apart till I got all the parts, measuring it is somewhat of a problem. Does anyone know what the correct front pressure plate thickness is for a 92?

They did provide me with what it could be...
2.2 TURBO & SVX
IF THE FRONT PRESSURE PLATE MEASURES 3.3MM, PLEASE ORDER 31523AA160.
IF THE FRONT PRESSURE PLATE MEASURES 3.7MM, PLEASE ORDER 31523AA170.
IF THE FRONT PRESSURE PLATE MEASURES 4.1MM, PLEASE ORDER 31523AA180.
IF THE FRONT PRESSURE PLATE MEASURES 4.5MM, PLEASE ORDER 31523AA190.

I could just choose the 4.1mm but I'd prefer not to guess since I'm sure I'd get the wrong one... and I really don't want to worry about binding or whatever other problems an incorrect thickness would cause.

Thanks.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:05 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
There is no 'correct' part number for a specific MY car - that's why they have the different part numbers in the first place.

The only way to find out is to take the transfer clutch out and measure the first pressure plate. Don't guess; use a caliper.

Sorry, I know it's not the answer you want to hear, but if you're going the extra step of replacing the clutch (which I totally agree with) then you obviously want it fixed right.

Some safety tips when you do the repair:

1. Make sure you put the solenoid's wire back the way you found it. If you leave any slack or otherwise reassemble it wrong, the reduction gears can catch the wire and eat the entire harness.

2. Also make sure the parking pawl spring gets put back correctly, if it comes out. That can also get chewed up by the reduction gears and make a big mess. I speak from experience on this one. I don't remember why I had it out, but I put it back in wrong, it got eaten by the reduction gears, and spread metal debris throughout the transmission. I had to replace one of the reduction gears and eventually the front diff failed. Pictures in my locker:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?Mr.%20Pockets|16912

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 12-13-2007 at 07:27 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:55 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Turbone Send a message via AIM to Turbone Send a message via Yahoo to Turbone Send a message via Skype™ to Turbone
Registered SVX
I have a manual for the transmission (sorry, forgot to tell everyone)
and it shows for ALL of the front plates you list, the part number is
31593AA150-180.
I can scan the page if you wish.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:44 PM

I think I got it

Thanks for the info Mr.Pockets. Yeah, I was hoping I could get a more definitive answer as this is my commuter car and I can't have up on stands for a week while I wait for the correct part.

Based on Turbone's post... at subaruparts.com if I search for #31593AA150-180 I get nothing. Using just #31593AA150 and searching makes them put #31593AA151 into my cart so I assume they are the same? #31593AA151 is actually the front pressure plate and from what I can tell it appears to be the 3.3mm one. So it looks like #31523AA160 is the way to go for the transfer plates.

Thanks for the help!