How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2007, 12:17 AM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
Yep that's it :-)

A friend of mine snagged a stock tranny cooler out of a Ford Exploder (dunno what year) out of the junkyard he worked at, cleaned it out real good and plumbed it inline with the stock cooler on his Legacy.. Seems to work real well, but I don't know how well it'd cool an SVX, but it's got regular hose fittings on it, that are the same size as Subaru tranny cooler lines... I also noticed, from work, that Toyota Tundras have a pretty wimpy looking cooler (for a truck) but it looks like it'd be more than enough for an SVX! (Maybe I just think it's wimpy since the tranny cooler on my Dodge is like, 6-7 inches tall and as wide as the radiator.. (which is huge) and the intercooler on that thing is twice the size of the radiator on my Turbowagon... but I digress lol...
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 12-03-2007, 01:35 AM
Graphic Artist

Send me a PM to tell me which dealership its at and I'll go take a look for you, a cpuple of minutes with it and I'll know what you're in for. I know my SVX's pretty durn well, and I'm in Eugene.

-Patrick

EDIT: Heck, nevermind, I found it, I'll go take a look at it for you tomorrow and post my findings.

1995 Ebony Pearl. S.N. 0001 "Araby"

JDM Power Mode Switch, Integrated GPS/Video Player
6Xk Miles.

1992 Teal - Sold to Mysvxrocks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by nextse7en; 12-03-2007 at 01:40 AM.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Graphic Artist

Just got back from the dealership... that is one pretty SVX.

The good.

Very clean, a few small body blemishes, one on the passenger fender, on by the fuel door.

ECU reports no codes, TCU is clean as well.

Very clean interior.

No water in the trunk

The possibly bad.
A good amount of binding in the rear in reverse in tight turns. This could be something simple or catastrophic, either way, you've you may have something waiting in the wings eventually

Center console has some cigarette burns on the shifter and shifter bezel.

Security system is in questionable repair.

Brake fluid was over full.

Odd whining resonance coming from the front end, either the AC compressor or something deeper, couldn't tell without my tools

I would say they are asking a bit to much for it, I'd start your dealing at 5k

-Patrick

1995 Ebony Pearl. S.N. 0001 "Araby"

JDM Power Mode Switch, Integrated GPS/Video Player
6Xk Miles.

1992 Teal - Sold to Mysvxrocks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-03-2007, 10:06 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
Binding in the rear on tight turns, could be an underinflated/overinflated tire on one side causing the LSD to engage, or it could be the bushings (Mine makes a loud THUMP if I back up and turn the wheel)

Whining in the front - Turn the wheel side to side, see if it changes, if so, could be the power steering pump (I think Patrick has one), if not, see if it goes away with the AC engaged, if so, it's the idler bearings in the AC pump clutch (not hard to replace), could also be the bearings in the idler pulley for the AC belt (again, not hard to fix)

How'd the trans fluid look?

I know where a good shifter bezel is, and a decent console cover...
1986 VW Jetta
Old 12-04-2007, 05:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to Davestone
Thanks for going to take a look at it. It nice to have some local people that actually know what they are looking for cause I don't really have any idea about cars. I still have to figure out what I'm gonna do with the car I have now, cause its sitting at the shop.

David
Old 12-07-2007, 01:04 PM

I'm gonna go to take another look at the svx, i'm really thinking about getting it now but i still have a few concerns. It seems like its a very high maintenance and me being not very good with cars, and i was wondering if it would still be a good car for me. also if i do decide to get it, i would want to take it to a mechanic first to get it checked out, anyone know of a good one?

David
Old 12-07-2007, 11:13 PM
Subaru Technician

Registered SVX
I think between me and Patrick, you're covered on getting your car worked on :-P What is your current car, and what's wrong with it?
1986 VW Jetta
Old 12-08-2007, 11:30 AM

right now i have a 92 integra and it has like 240,xxx and the brakes need to be completely redone, it needs new radiator hoses, the cv boots need to be replaced and it will need a new clutch soon. So it will cost be around 2k to get it fixed and it will most likely need a new engine soon. So i'm gonna go look at the svx today and hopefully talk to guy done enough to where I can get it
Old 12-09-2007, 01:50 AM
Subaru Technician

Registered SVX
Trust me, you'll like it a lot more than the Integra, I dust Integras all day long in my SVX And, you could probably get a decent amount for the integra on craigslist, honda/acura heads will snatch that up lol
1986 VW Jetta
Old 12-10-2007, 12:46 PM

so I went there yesterday and drove it again and then offered the guy 6k and he said that he had wholesalers wanting to buy it for 7.5k so there was no way he would take a loss on it. And I'm not sure that I want to pay that much for a 15 year old car... So it looks like for now I will be without an SVX..
Old 12-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
Sorry to hear that. Those problems could be something simple or something big, though. If you know local guys that could work on it, for less than a repair shop, who knows. I highly doubt he has wholesalers looking to pay 7.5k for it though. $1500-2000, maybe. They won't pay that much for a car that old.

At any rate, they're good fun cars, that can do quite a lot. The automatic climate control is great, power seats are real nice, especially the leather and suede. I took mine on a trip from Pennsylvania to Texas, 1600 miles, and it was by far the most comfortable ride I've taken in any vehicle.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 12-10-2007, 02:37 PM
Its a Classic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davestone View Post
so I went there yesterday and drove it again and then offered the guy 6k and he said that he had wholesalers wanting to buy it for 7.5k so there was no way he would take a loss on it. And I'm not sure that I want to pay that much for a 15 year old car... So it looks like for now I will be without an SVX..
Hes full of **** if he has wholesalers willing to spend 7.5k on a low demand svx
STi BBS wheels,legacy gt 4.44, 3" catback exhaust, Stance GR+ 7k/5k, QS Teflon adjustable endlinks, Hankook EVO 245/40/17, 95-LS escaine seats, GC8 V7 steering wheel, JDM clear corners, small car clear lenses, Alcyone badge, JDM rear taillight, 97 grille, stevesby bumper, PWR radiator, Perrin Crank pulley, Urethane Swaybar bushings, urethane diff bushings, DDM 6k 55watt lows and 4500k 35watt fog lights; $15/15min mod, Motorsport whs 22mm rear swaybar, QC shift kit, ToMyx intake, z32 aluminum calipers 13" rotors, nitrous express proton + wet kit.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Subaru Technician

Registered SVX
Yeah he's full of crap, we're lucky to get that much for a 2000 Tacoma... Keep your eyes open, I see them on craigslist fairly often. (I got mine for $800 but it had a fried tranny)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 12-11-2007, 06:48 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
If you're still interested in it print off an Edmonds report (edmonds.com) and take it to the vendor. It says a clean 95 has a $2270 retail and $864 trade in value. That should give you some amo to diker.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:26 AM

ok.. so i found a different svx to drool over. http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/car/505432600.html
he said it also has a cracked windshield on the passenger side, but besides that its a good reliable car. does anyone know of a mechanic who could take a look at it for me on thursday when i go take a look at it and make sure it checks out.

David